Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
What Effect Does Tire Size have on Fuel Mielage?

I have increased my tire size up one size. Now, while the speedometer reads 55 mph I am actually going 57 mph. I've checked this against my gps. I have no idea whether the odometer is going a little more or a little less. Math is not my strength.

My questions are about adjustments. If I calculate the mileage as 8 mpg, is that more or less than the actual mileage? Any assistance or help would be appreciated.

denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Odometer reading is less. Changing tire diameter has the same effect as changing the rear gear ratio, only it typically isn't as big of change as swapping a 3:73 for a 4:10. More like swapping a 3:73 for a 3:78. As for speed vs odometer, think of it these terms: you travel for one hour at a constant speed. The GPS says you traveled at a constant 57 miles per hour for one hour, so you covered 57 miles. Meanwhile, the speedometer has read a constant 55 miles per hour and the odometer would thus read 55 more miles than what you started out with. So while the truck has traveled 57 miles, the odometer is only going to show 55, thus it would be off by 2 miles.

Does that help?

As for adjustments, many tuners can adjust for tire size and recalibrate the odometer/speedometer for you. Some brands of trucks can also have this done by the dealer. Here's the disclaimer though: adding a tuner, even if you're just doing it to recalibrate your tire size can result in your truck manufacturer voiding your power train warranty.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Check this site and see if it helps, Bill

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote