Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Citrus King

Check out Citrus King. It is concentrated citrus oil. Works well. I softens the adhesive so that you can wipe it away. I found that a razor blade scraper did a good job with removal once the citrus softened it.

I think it is about $70 per gallon. A gallon will do the whole camper.
This product was recommended to me by customer service at Keystone.

I think it works better than most of the other stuff. I tried them all.
Enjoy ,
lcarter

lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The problem with any citrus based cleaner is that it serves as an attractant to our flight based creatures of the air. A citrus based cleaner on a roof membrane for example, has been documented to result in bird-peckings in the membrane. I would be very careful with anything citrus on a rig, it may work well for the adhesive removing, but it troubles me nonetheless.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ditto
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would think removing decals with a citrus based cleaner in this case would be "okay". The decals are mounted on a hard surface versus a rubber roof. The citrus scent might linger on a rubber roof but I don't think it gets absorbed into the siding. Since after using the cleaner the surface must be thoroughly washed and hopefully all remnants of the cleaner removed I would think this would be okay on the gelcoat/fiberglass surface.

Maybe contacting Keystone to confirm might be a good idea.

I have read numerous posts that any cleaner with a food smell must be avoided on RV's rubber roof and I live by that one. But hard sidings, hmmm?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My take is the citrus attracts birds, whether it is on the sides, the bottom, the tires or on the roof. I would not want to attract them to the rig area at all. My usual disclaimer, this is my opinion only, but rest assured, I personally will not use citrus products of any kind. It may well be okay to use, but I will let someone else find out and post the results.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ditto, again!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
I have not seen any birds or insects pecking on the trailer or attracted to the trailer. I used Citrus King over the period of several months. The product was recommended by Keystone. I got really frustrated with my efforts to get most of my peeling decals off the sides of my trailer. Even worse to get the adhesive off the trailer. I tried many products including most all of those recommended on this web site and other web sites.

This stuff simply works!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jim, ask em at the Rally!! Seems to me a perfect question for that venue, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Ask whom ever you like. I was only expressing my experiences with the product. It worked!
Have great day!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to try Citrus King. I read somewhere that the whole trailer than has to be wiped down afterward with an alcohol based cleaner prior to installing new decals. I think that with all the cleaning that has to be done all the citrus smell will be gone. Thanks again
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
lcarter,

my comment was not meant to offend, as it seems it did. sorry, really, did not mean to offend.

but the fall rally is where a lot of these kinds of discussions come up with the vendors and with KEYSTONE! this is how we learn, from the horses mouth, so to speak, what they say is the correct way to do something, and this is where they learn that, say, for example, equipment they are installing is not working right.

I most likely will not be attending the seminars with the Keystone reps, some from customer service, etc. that is why I mentioned it to Jim, cause knowing him, most likely he will be attending.

hope this helps you understand my prior way too brief comment.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #12
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
I have gone through Burlington and Keystone about the issues many of us have with the poor quality of the decals and their handling of the issue including what should or should not be used.

Yes, both Burlington and Keystone have supplied replacement decals to many of us. The real cost in PR issue for these companies should be that neither of them have agreed consistently to put them on the trailers. There is where the real cost is in labor and materials ls.

I am truly sorry if I have bothered anyone concerning my efforts to get the sticky stuff off my trailer. I am still uncertain if I am putting the replacement decals on the trailer. I don't want to go through the scraping of decals and adhesive again.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just drop by my place and squeeze our RV.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
FYI if you are going to have them installed we did better contacting people who put lettering on signs verses rv dealers. We had the front decal installed at $40.00 from a sign installer. They did a great job. Took about 45 min. I do not think any dealer would charge less than that. We had prices up to $200.00 just for the install.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You know, the shrinks say that doing the same thing over again and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. This is how I feel about replacing Burlington graphics with more Burlington graphics. Just ask those who have done it and see what they have to say the second time around.......'nough said....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #16
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
exav8tr, I'm with you.