Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
frosty
Established Member

M.O.C. #568
have 34 rl 2006 Montata fifth wheel...driving rt 10 fl....on the 23 aug.tire blew.. took part of the slide with it..inside side wall was completely goen.. anyuone have the GOOD luck frosty

frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #22
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Ozz, Did the factory say anything about what pressure steel rims would take.
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am sure I remember that the Aluminum rims would not take the high pressure, but the steel rims would take 110#.
That information was from both the Forum and a tire shop I went to.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #24
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
Greetings all,
I've just returned from a trip to the Canadian Maritimes and the tire question came up in a big way. On the way my right rear Mission tire blew out damaging the right side slide lower skirt(?) and the plastic fender piece. Nine days later while checking tires just prior to leaving the campground I discovered the right front tire coming apart.
The first tire blewout in Maine and I couldn't find an ST replacement anywhere near where I was. I did eventually find one and it cost me an arm and a leg. The second tire problem occured in Canada and by then I had had it with the Mission tires. I replaced the Missions with some ST's from a Canadian tire store. The tires come from GPX. I probably didn't get any better tires than the Missions but at least they are newer. Since I have found out from this forum that the LT's have a lower load rating I am glad I got the ST's. I know, Glen, that you probably carry more than I do and use LT's but I feel more secure using the ST's. I just won't use Missions again.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #25
Firefighter Ret.

M.O.C. #7604
I recently had two Mission tires develope bubbles on the side wall. I checked with Montana and they gave me a number for the distributer. The distributer uses an answering system and would not return my calls. I again sent Keystone an e-mail and they were slow to respond. During all the communications I finally just purchased a new set of NOT MADE IN CHINA tires. Keystone finally checked back with me and when I told them I had solved the problem with another brand they were happy but did not offer one cent to help on the replacements.
I feel they have a serious problem with the Chinese made tires and probably will supper in the long run and just to save a few dollars on each tire.
Still love the MOntana though!!!!!
Firefighter Ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Maybe this is interesting only to me but ST tires are "Special Trailer" tires and clearly stamped on the side of ST tires it says "FOR TRAILER USE ONLY." LT means "Light Truck" tires but nowhere do I see it say "FOR LIGHT TRUCKS ONLY" nor does it say "NOT FOR USE ON TRAILERS."

Since Keystone put LT tires on Montanas for a year or so and other manufacturers have done or do the same thing, I have no problem with using LT tires on my Montana. And that's exactly what I put on our prior Montana when we bought a new set of tires. I just made sure the load rating was equal or larger than the rating for the axles and the actual scaled weight on the axles. 3042 is sufficient on both counts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #27
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
THANK YOU STEVE, I couldn't have said it better myself.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote