Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2021, 03:46 AM   #1
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Spare tire

Got a new set of tires and asked Discount to replace the existing spare with one of the newly removed tires so I had a “new” spare. Shop nor I was able to remove the retaining screw/handle to drop the Norco spare mechanism under the rig. Has been at least a couple years since it was last used and it was rusted and frozen on. Took it home and worked for a couple hours to free it up. Had I needed the spare on the road I would have been stranded. Going to apply anti sieze grease on the threads. Wanted to share so you can check yours if it has not been done in a while to make sure you don’t have the same issue. I actually had to fully remove the plastic 3 prong handle that embeds the screw (not easy) and then use a torch to heat the plate to finally work the 3/8” screw loose without twisting off the head. Never could have done that on the side of the road

Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:08 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine today.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Great advice. I spray mine with a shot of lithium grease every now and then. I put a sensor for the TPMS on the spare too, so I wouldn't have to drop it to check the pressure. Now I probably should anyway just to keep that mechanism freed up. Sometimes laziness is not my friend.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:35 AM   #4
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Spare should be installed with valve down. Then you can check with out lowering tire. You will have to slide under camper but easier than lowering tire.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Agree. I did that too, but hard for me to get underneath and I still have the laziness thing too. :-)
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Thanks for tip! I check the air pressure but do not lower the tire--valve stem is facing downward. Another great job on keeping us rolling safely down the road!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Here's an air hose device I installed on my 3402RL: from Tweetys.com...TST-SA-6 Spare Air Remote Tire Inflation System (their price as of 4/21:$106.00 + tax). Attached to valve of spare routed over to and mounted curbside edge underneath trailer. Enables checking/adding air on spare without crawling underneath. FYI
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
If you have never lowered your spare tire I would advise you to take the time and effort to do so. I had never had the inconvenience of needing to lower my spare tire and found out that the cable was a jumbled up mess. It took quite a while to actually get the winch system to lower the tire. My guess is someone at the factory just used an impact gun on it as the cable was wound very loosely and then the cable went under the outer wraps. I found this issue when having to replace the rear sensor for the Auto Leveler system. That would have been very inconvenient if found along side the road when you really need to have the winch work correctly.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty