Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Landing legs and rear levelers don't work

I'm looking for info as to what is common to the circuitry of these two items other than the battery. I was getting ready to hook up and the landings legs 'petered out' as I raised the front. Finished by using a hydraulic jack, the levelers were already up. Neither set of legs worked when I got home, no weight on either. Hand cranking the front seems to work ok [no weight]. The slideouts work ok. I've tried with and without shore power. The only 40A fuse I've found so far looks ok, it is in a pink line to a circuit board power in. Haven't done much else yet as it's really cold here right now.

New information. I used the remote and both sets work. I think the circuit board in the front compartment is blown. We both forgot there was a remote since we don't use it. Had to get a battery for it too.

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Skip:
Look up in the front compartment where the pump is located. There may ba a fuse in there on the right side as you are looking at it.. There also may be a fuse that is on your electrical panel on the inside of the camper. Not familiar with your rig, but could probably find it with just a little looking....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Dollars to donuts you have the problem with the control box that others have encountered. Here is the link to a posting which shows how to overcome the problem.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46515

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Skip,

Were you using the switches or the remote control? My remote control worked when the switches didn't.

The end result remove the white ground wire and reattached will reset the control, see post above, I posted what I did.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I'll try the ground remove in the morning.
It works with the remote, doesn't manual.
Thanks y'all, I wasn't too happy at the time and then couldn't find anything when I searched, wrong search words.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
If the manual switches do not work, but the remote controller works, the ground relay on the control board is not working and most likely has the relay contacts burnt "Open".
If that is true, I ran a test ground wire from where the "Switch Ground" comes back to the control board for a "TEMP TEST" fix to verify that was the problem. IF the landing gear manual switch works and the stabilizer manual switch work, then the problem for sure is the Control Board Manual Switch Relay has failed.

I would sure like to know if that is the problem after you trouble shoot the problem.

Regards
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Same problem and ran a "temp fix ground" which is now the permanent FIX. No problems in 3 years.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

If the manual switches do not work, but the remote controller works, the ground relay on the control board is not working and most likely has the relay contacts burnt "Open".
If that is true, I ran a test ground wire from where the "Switch Ground" comes back to the control board for a "TEMP TEST" fix to verify that was the problem. IF the landing gear manual switch works and the stabilizer manual switch work, then the problem for sure is the Control Board Manual Switch Relay has failed.

I would sure like to know if that is the problem after you trouble shoot the problem.

Regards
Randy
Randy,

They replaced my controller board, everything worked fine. I drove home, the legs went up half way and stopped. That is when I figured out killing the power reset everything.

My long term solutions was to ditch the Landing gear and go with BigFoot.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Things work now, finally. Here's what I did, easy to final:
1- Tried removing battery power with the battery disconnect and removing shore power. Didn't work, power still applied to the jacks and circuit card (cc).
2- Removed shore power and battery ground. This did kill all power in but did not do anything to the cc, no reset or anything, it still didn't work.
3- Traced the manual negative and temporarily installed a jumper from where it met 2 other wires at a junction to the nearest ground connection [as recommended above]. There are now 4 wires at the junction. [I did not try the circuit with the lead from the cc negative disconnected.] This worked as advertised. I made it permanent. The remote also works, but I read somewhere you don't want to have it on when using the manual mode.
Thanks everyone, for your help.