Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
knapper42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21742
Suburban Water heater ignitor board troubles

Is there a way to trouble shoot the auto ignition board on the Suburban WH?
I can hear it sparking but the gas valve does not open to all the propane through.
The board shows no sign of burned or scorches on the board.

also wondering if I can test the gas valve by applying 12v directly from a battery after isolating the valve from the AI board.
Thanks
Knapper

Ok being the impatient type I isolated the gas valve and supplied it with a direct source of 12v. That worked proved the valve was opening and the WH ignited.
I tried to check the 12v supply at the board which shows the red to be POWER but i cant find voltage and any of the cable points that attach to the AI board.
anyone know where the 12v for the board comes from? I can't find any blown fuses.
thanks
k

knapper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There should be a Suburban Water Heater Diagnosis Guide in the Files section of the forum. Go to https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3 and look for "Water Heater Troubleshooting - Suburban " and "Suburban Water Heater Service & Training Manual" (or just click on the manual names here - I didn't realize copying the names also copied the link to them)

Often spark/no gas is due to the gas valve. It has two solenoids which open the flow of gas. They can fail and are easily replaced. Here is one of many posts on these doodads. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...1212803&nojs=1

It is easy to test the solenoids. Also do a Search on " water heater solenoid".

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #3
knapper42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21742
Thanks I will check out those sites.
when I isolated the valve and applied 12v to it it functioned normally.
I opened the valve and the WH fired right up. What I can't figure out is where does the AI board get it's 12v from. Maybe the help sites will give me a clue.
Thanks again
K
Old 07-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Behind your control panel on the back of the water heater switch is a 5A fuse.
If the fuse is good try pushing down hard into the holder. I had one back out on me.
Also I discovered by accident if the furnace fuse is out the water heater doesn't work.
2019 3130re.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric water heater inline fuse.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	9816  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
The fact that you hear sparking taking place, confirms you have power to the board regardless of the fact you are unable to find the source. Looking for the source will not bring you closer to solving the issue. There are 2 other devices on the furnace which have to complete a series circuit. The control board has to see a current pathway completed via the sail switch and the high temperature cutoff, before it will activate the gas valve. Once those two devices internally close and complete the "safety" circuit, then and only then does the circuit board send 12 volts to the gas valve. Within moments of activating the gas valve, the control board seeks confirmation of ignition via a flame sensor. Use an ohm meter to check for continuity of the limit switch and the sail switch. Your problem most likely resides there. In the event the control board is determined to be the issue (most likely not), Dinosaur Electronics makes a preferred replacement. Happy hunting!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
knapper42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21742
Thanks for the response FireStaion12.
The comment about the sail switch has me confused as I can't see anything that resembles a sail switch on my hot water heater.
I agree that I surely have 12v power to the board as the sparker works and can clearly be heard.
I can apply separate power to the gas valve and it opens and lets gas flow through. The sparker (igniter) will start the fire and the heater will function normally when I have opened the valve with separate power.
If I described this so it is understandable do you still think the problem is NOT the EMC board?
Thanks for you help
Old 07-29-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper42 View Post
Thanks for the response FireStaion12.
The comment about the sail switch has me confused as I can't see anything that resembles a sail switch on my hot water heater.
I believe FireStation12 gave an answer for a furnace problem, not a water heater. Water heaters don't have sail switches.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I believe FireStation12 gave an answer for a furnace problem, not a water heater. Water heaters don't have sail switches.
My number one pet peeve on this forum is people who don't read all the posts ACCURATELY before responding. Guilty as charged! Thanks Carl!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:33 PM   #9
champagne

M.O.C. #31084
So water heater has a fuse and furnace has a fuse on switch? Thx
champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with firestation12 that you would not be getting a spark unless you had 12 vdc to the control board. You can use a 12 vdc test probe with pointed end to penetrate the wire to the solenoid and see if you get 12 vdc to the solenoid when the igniter sparks. If spark but no 12 vdc to solenoid then most likely bad board or wiring issue there somewhere.

Have someone start it while you test.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote