RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #1
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Fan
 
R.S.O'Donnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: St Brendan's Isle
Posts: 227
M.O.C. #25842
6.7 Powerstroke CCV Filter Clogged

Ran across this video today. Mine is doing the exact same thing at 60,000 miles. My new filter is on the way.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master
 
RMcNeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 767
M.O.C. #25165
Haven't had that issue (yet). I had replace the EGR once and the DPF twice, once under warranty, before going the "remove and forget it" route. The truck has been bullet proof since. Better HP and mileage.
__________________
Robert & Diana McNeal
2019 Montana Legacy 3791RD 20th Anniversary Edition
2014 F350 4x4 6.7L SRW
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 578
M.O.C. #20472
Those service number/hours are under normal operations of your truck. And if your running a tune mite as well throw stock service numbers out the door.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin 4x4 4:10 Gears
6.7 Tuned By Calibrated
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,452
M.O.C. #14547
FL2077 is $77 at Rock Auto, $95 at Amazon. One more thing I need to look at soon with 132K on my truck
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
masterdrago
Montana Master
 
masterdrago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Willis
Posts: 829
M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
FL2077 is $77 at Rock Auto, $95 at Amazon. One more thing I need to look at soon with 132K on my truck
Only thing I've found to watch closely at RA is the shipping. Did full high performance brakes on a Mini and the shipping was $38. Just need to watch close. AMZN was best place for bearings last year.
__________________
2018 Montana 3791RD
2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins Aisin, B&W RVK3600
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Carson City
Posts: 1,382
M.O.C. #21963
Thx R S for bringing this up. It caused me to look at this closer as I just had an oil change at the dealer. They recommended changing the ccv filter and egr service at the upcoming 67500 mile mark at a cost nearing $1000. Come to find out there isn't an egr service interval for my truck. I'll be changing that filter myself for about $125.

To continue, I am suspicious that they didn't change the oil filter. I've never had an oil change that didn't leave residual oil to drip on the driveway, even after wiping. I'm going to pull an oil sample for analyzing.
__________________
2016 3160, Legacy, Sailuns, Splendide 2100 xc vented, 1 1/2" axle lift blocks, 2014 Ram 3500 SRW SWB 4X4 6.7 Aisin Mega Cab, EBC slotted disks and brakes, Titan fuel tank.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,452
M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Only thing I've found to watch closely at RA is the shipping. Did full high performance brakes on a Mini and the shipping was $38. Just need to watch close. AMZN was best place for bearings last year.

Agree. RAP and shipping was great before USPS and FedEx went crazy with price increases. I have an incorrect drag link that was supposed to fit my truck. Return shipping is about 35% of the original purchase price which is on top of the original 35% shipping tro me which makes it doubtful it will get returned. If anyone needs a 36" long version vs the 34" I needed, PM me. That good ol' Ford parts book got me one more time with my early build 2011.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Fan
 
R.S.O'Donnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: St Brendan's Isle
Posts: 227
M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Thx R S for bringing this up. It caused me to look at this closer as I just had an oil change at the dealer. They recommended changing the ccv filter and egr service at the upcoming 67500 mile mark at a cost nearing $1000. Come to find out there isn't an egr service interval for my truck. I'll be changing that filter myself for about $125.

To continue, I am suspicious that they didn't change the oil filter. I've never had an oil change that didn't leave residual oil to drip on the driveway, even after wiping. I'm going to pull an oil sample for analyzing.
You're welcome. Talked to a trusted Ford tech about it yesterday. He suggested 50,000 miles. I'm definitely not liking the fact that my crankcase is pressurized so I'm trying not to drive it until the filter comes on Thursday. I'm considering the catch can modification. I understand why the manufacturer doesn't do it but I'm totally fine with checking and emptying one.

Having a terrible time getting services as well. My last oil change took 3 hours at the dealer. From here on I'm doing them myself. I installed a Fumoto valve and have a 5 gallon jug to drain the oil in. Working on a clean method to drain the filter. I have a drain pan but would rather not use it as it's a pain to clean up afterwards.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Fan
 
R.S.O'Donnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: St Brendan's Isle
Posts: 227
M.O.C. #25842
Update

Some new information on the subject.

This only affects the newer trucks. Older ones don't have a replaceable filter and it looks like later ones don't either. There is actually a TSB to swap out the entire unit.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60870-0001.pdf

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Carson City
Posts: 1,382
M.O.C. #21963
I just changed the ccv filter. Pretty simple on the Ram. At this pace, once every 7 years is fine with me. Still fuming over the dealer suggesting service not required although not surprised. I ordered the oil sample analysis kit to check if they even changed the oil.
__________________
2016 3160, Legacy, Sailuns, Splendide 2100 xc vented, 1 1/2" axle lift blocks, 2014 Ram 3500 SRW SWB 4X4 6.7 Aisin Mega Cab, EBC slotted disks and brakes, Titan fuel tank.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master
 
RMcNeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 767
M.O.C. #25165
Just got this from my mechanic. Great timing! I have an oil leak again after having the upper oil pan leak repaired a few months ago. Now I have the Crankcase Ventilation Oil Separator Assembly leak. He says it's barely seeping but it is covered under a TSB from Ford for 11 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. The TSB # is 17M04 and covers several years of the 6.7 power strokes including 2014-2016. You may have the same thing if you aren't over on the mileage or years, Ford may cover the repair.
__________________
Robert & Diana McNeal
2019 Montana Legacy 3791RD 20th Anniversary Edition
2014 F350 4x4 6.7L SRW
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Fan
 
R.S.O'Donnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: St Brendan's Isle
Posts: 227
M.O.C. #25842
Just changed my filter yesterday. Not too difficult at all. Filter was totally blocked. Almost feels like there is now a slight vacuum on my oil filler cap. I'm sure it's covered under warranty but I'm having a terrible time finding a dealership that can work on it. Apparently the local dealerships (SW Arizona) are in "take a number" mode on diesels. Blythe, CA at least a month. Been waiting on a call from Lake Havasu dealership since late December. Called on January 12th but still no idea when they can get me in.

In light of the current situation I decided it best I go ahead and get the part and do it myself too. New "filterless box" is due to arrive Monday. I don't like it.... But it is what it is.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper
 
Walt & Vicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 50
M.O.C. #24025
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
You're welcome. Talked to a trusted Ford tech about it yesterday. He suggested 50,000 miles. I'm definitely not liking the fact that my crankcase is pressurized so I'm trying not to drive it until the filter comes on Thursday. I'm considering the catch can modification. I understand why the manufacturer doesn't do it but I'm totally fine with checking and emptying one.

Having a terrible time getting services as well. My last oil change took 3 hours at the dealer. From here on I'm doing them myself. I installed a Fumoto valve and have a 5 gallon jug to drain the oil in. Working on a clean method to drain the filter. I have a drain pan but would rather not use it as it's a pain to clean up afterwards.
Break the filter loose, then place a zip lock bag on filter, remove filter, no oil drips or leaks on engine truck or driveway.
__________________
Walt and Vicki Forester
2015 Ram 3500 Dually G56 ViAir/Hellwig Onboard Air/Springs BD 2Low Kit RDS 95 Gal Tank/Combo American Force 19.5 Falken Bi 850 225/70 19.5
2018 3730FL
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #14
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Fan
 
R.S.O'Donnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: St Brendan's Isle
Posts: 227
M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt & Vicki View Post
Break the filter loose, then place a zip lock bag on filter, remove filter, no oil drips or leaks on engine truck or driveway.
You still have a filter full of oil. Plus because we are full timers there is no driveway.

I'm doing this in the boonies in a National Forest or BLM spot and I'm trying to get everything directly into my jug. I'd do the nail method but it's still messy.

I used to do this all the time with our Sprinter based class C as it had a cartridge filter that drained back to the oil pan.



Right now I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.kitplanes.com/tempest-in...er-drain-tool/

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #15
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper
 
Walt & Vicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 50
M.O.C. #24025
We are fulltime too. So dump the oil in your bucket. After you dump the oil in the bucket zip the bag so it doesn't spill. Then dump all the used oil in your containers you just used to refill your crankcase. Pretty simple.
__________________
Walt and Vicki Forester
2015 Ram 3500 Dually G56 ViAir/Hellwig Onboard Air/Springs BD 2Low Kit RDS 95 Gal Tank/Combo American Force 19.5 Falken Bi 850 225/70 19.5
2018 3730FL
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,452
M.O.C. #14547
Plastic and blue 20 plus quart bucket from Walmart for less then 5 bucks, a funnel to pour the used oli into the allon or 5 quart oil jugs works well for me too. The rectangular bucket I uuse cleans easily and the old oil can be left wherever you bought the new for recycling.


That oil filter gadget shown above - looks great but make sure that it fits. If you have a Ford diesel, the FL2051S is about 4" in diameter (93mm). Some folks just drive a punch through the near bottom and let the filter drain. My rectangular bucket so far has not deserted me with a major spill though my Harbor Freight nitrile gloves usually need to be changed.
__________________
Dave W
Traveling with my DW Susan, a couple poodlepups and our 2014 Montana High Country 343RL, being towed by a 6.7 2011 F250 CCLB using a B&W hitch and OEM puck system
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
DadsHemi
Montana Master
 
DadsHemi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Florence
Posts: 578
M.O.C. #20472
I change my oil,filter and both fuel in the parks I stay in, as said 5gal bucket, all my filters are easy to do with out spilling a any oil or fuel. I do it on the down low as most don’t allow self service in their parks.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Aisin 4x4 4:10 Gears
6.7 Tuned By Calibrated
2017 Montana 3160RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:44 AM   #18
Slow Hand
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Livermore
Posts: 448
M.O.C. #17391
This sounds like such a pain in the ass. To save all the hassle just take it to the dealer. Why risk a oil spill in a National park or out in the wild. Nothing like full timing with used oil pans and containers.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #19
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Burnet
Posts: 67
M.O.C. #24564
50,000 miles on my 2018 Duramax, 3500, srw. Only 1 issue and shortly after getting the truck. Sensors failed on the def tank and the tank had to be replaced. Had 5th wheel in tow on the way to Colorado. Got to the dealer around 9 am, back on the road around 3:30 pm. I make appointments for oil and filter changes and wait about an hour or two at the longest. Before that, my 2006 Duramax did 180,000 miles with very few problems. Before that, my 2003 Ford was in the shop almost every month. It's the last Ford I'll ever own. My 2000 F350 was a good truck, but it only had 4 gears, and struggled going up the mountains. I'm probably making a mistake sharing this. If everyone starts buying a Duramax, the demand will be up along with the price. At least I won't be needing a new truck for many years.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:29 PM   #20
Roy & Georgia
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Artesia
Posts: 28
M.O.C. #27061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfisher View Post
50,000 miles on my 2018 Duramax, 3500, srw. Only 1 issue and shortly after getting the truck. Sensors failed on the def tank and the tank had to be replaced. Had 5th wheel in tow on the way to Colorado. Got to the dealer around 9 am, back on the road around 3:30 pm. I make appointments for oil and filter changes and wait about an hour or two at the longest. Before that, my 2006 Duramax did 180,000 miles with very few problems. Before that, my 2003 Ford was in the shop almost every month. It's the last Ford I'll ever own. My 2000 F350 was a good truck, but it only had 4 gears, and struggled going up the mountains. I'm probably making a mistake sharing this. If everyone starts buying a Duramax, the demand will be up along with the price. At least I won't be needing a new truck for many years.
I have a 2012 f350 swd with 90000 on it. I’ve pulled my 5er and oilfield equipment. Never had any issues. Been at the dealer for regular service only.
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×