Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
battery disconect switch

Which side pf the post do these install?Positive or negitive.Electricy isn`t my strong suit.Thanks for your help.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Harleyrider All boats use the positive side which I did in our monty. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to second the reply of foggyb: it is the positive side. Note red wires on left of photo:

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Thanks for your quick replys.It will be nice just fliping a switch instead of taking off the cables to disconnect the batteries.As it turns out my selling dealer put the cheapest battery he could find when I bought the Montana.Typical for this guy.It wasn`t even a deep cycle battery.I guess he just didn`t want to spend the extra 30 bucks to give me a decent battery.Thank God i`am threw with that dealership.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We switched the ground side. I was told to do it this way with the knife switch that we used. I did not want a hot bare uninsulated knife switch out in the open in the front storage area of my rig. If something fell off the shelf and shorted between the switch and ground it could cause major problems.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I installed a switch similar to the one on our sailboat. It has a stop for batt. 1, batt. 2, both and off. I usually keep 2 batt. on board.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Just to second the reply of foggyb: it is the positive side. Note red wires on left of photo:

I would switch the ground side. The problem with switching the postive side is safety. In the picture above, you MUST have a fuse between the positive battery terminal and the switch. I see a open 12 volt postive terminal on the back of the switch, which is very dangerous. If you make contact between that terminal and the metal bracket behind it, you could have an explosion. Switching the ground side is a lot safer. Just my opionion of course!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Switching both lines is the safest. The problem I see with a switch in the ground side is you have power available in all of the circuts, just waiting for a ground. That would usually be me!! The usual instructions given when working on a vehicle, for example, is remove the positive cable from the battery. The photo is actually safer since it localizes any danger such as the exposed terminal. Any exposed terminals on the switch should be protected.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

The problem I see with a switch in the ground side is you have power available in all of the circuts, just waiting for a ground.
Let me clear this up. Switching the ground does not provide power to circuits in the trailer. The power is coming from the battery, so the only way that the circuit can be completed, is by completing the ground through the battery switch! Grounding the trailer through any means other than the battery will not power the circuit.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Just a quick note to say that before I inatalled this switch I inquired on this forum as to which "side" it should be connected to. At that time (I can't find the thread now) I was clearly advised to put it on the positive side. I faintly remember that it had something to do with the fact that cutting off on the ground side would still permit some 'leakage'. I am not sure about that, but this discussion has caused me to remember why I installed as I did. I'm still willing to learn.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:

Just a quick note to say that before I inatalled this switch I inquired on this forum as to which "side" it should be connected to. At that time (I can't find the thread now) I was clearly advised to put it on the positive side. I faintly remember that it had something to do with the fact that cutting off on the ground side would still permit some 'leakage'. I am not sure about that, but this discussion has caused me to remember why I installed as I did. I'm still willing to learn.
Switching the positive is a common suggestion, but can be unsafe, as I indicated prior. If you leave yours this way, please be VERY careful. Switching the ground can not result in any "leakage" problem, as long as you position the switch on a short cable to the battery. The "leakage" myth comes from house wiring background, where the house is earth grounded. In an RV the negative battery terminal is only connected to the battery at the source. Once it is switched, there is no path for the current to flow. If you switch the ground, the terminals on the switch will be ground, when the switch is on, and pose no hazard. I work in the Telecom industry and work on batteries every day. They hold a lot of energy, and a short from that battery switch you installed to ground will result in a tremendous surge of current that will result in one of two results. Either the metal (like a screw driver) will arc and melt, or the battery will quickly overheat, and can explode. If the battery explodes, you could be covered in battery acid. It would be easy in your case to simply move the switch to the ground side of the battery. Buy a short black cable to keep the color code correct.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, and I am still learning. One note however: the terminals behind the switch are covered, doubly. That is silver tape which is visible. I just checked to be sure. An insulator was provided with the switch, and the tape is to be sure everything stays in place.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:

Thanks, and I am still learning. One note however: the terminals behind the switch are covered, doubly. That is silver tape which is visible. I just checked to be sure. An insulator was provided with the switch, and the tape is to be sure everything stays in place.
OK. My mistake. It looked like exposed metal.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Got to go with the ground side.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #15
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
When you work on a vehicle the ground cable is always the first removed. Less chance of sparks when working on the positive side.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #16
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Folks, I stand corrected, Thanks.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote