Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Laundry shoot

Anyone have any idea how to put a lock on the laundry shoot? We don't use it because we have washer/dryer and that is one way someone could get into the coach when we are not there.
Dusty

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Anyone have any idea how to put a lock on the laundry shoot? We don't use it because we have washer/dryer and that is one way someone could get into the coach when we are not there.
Dusty
When we store ours, we put a dining room chair on top of it, that way it would take a lot of effort to push it open. We don't use the laundry shoot, since we have the splendite w/d. It would be nice to be able to secure that permanently, so nobody could enter thru the laundry shoot.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We also have a washer and dryer, but since we're full-timers the laundry chute is used on a daily basis ... I only do laundry once a week. Although it would take a very patient and ambitious person to get through all the stuff in the basement to even get to the laundry chute door, the cheapest and easiest way to "lock" it is to open the water closet door. It is IMPOSSIBLE to open that trap door when the w/c door is across it. If necessary, the w/c door could be propped open with something heavy enough to keep it open.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vicki is correct about the w/c door making it impossible to open the laundry chute door. I tested this when the rig was new and could not get a finger, a bar, or anything else in there to move that door. If you want something you set and forget rather than remembering to move the door, maybe you could mount some kind of socket on the opposing walls and use a stout tension rod mounted in the sockets.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks everyone and will try these tips. The bathroom door open is a good idea! When on vacation, if we are away for the day I will certainly do this!
We don't store at a RV storage place. We have it on our property so we are looking for something permanent to keep it closed. The cat and dogs are awed about that hole in the floor. They are trying to open it! With their noses. Smart dogs, and the cat just watches. He would be the first one in the hole!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953
Put a hasp and lock on it. If you are worried about it you could just lock it when you are away. But if no one knows it is there how are they going to get in?

Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
You could secure it fairly well with two or three heavy production screws / drywall screws (similar to the factory-installed screws) - thru the carpet and subfloor into the aluminum frame.
tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:58 AM   #8
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
We secure ours with the water closet door trick - works great!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tundra Rose, sometimes the obvious just comes up and kicks me up the backside. Your idea about the screws is so logical it's easy to miss, assuming the idea is to not use the door at all. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks everyone. Don suggested the screws but I didn't want that because we may use it someday. We may just put a hasp and lock underneath. A posting on another forum.......This happened to people with their new Cardinal. It was stored on a supposed secure lot. Thieves entered the basement and they must had a small person or kid come into the coach through the laundry chute. They lost all furniture,curtains, electronics, clothing and everything that wasn't nailed down. All that was left was the fridge and stove. They even took the mattress and bed. Some of the cabinets too. Had damage to trailer where they took some of the things out. They are moving their 5th wheel to another storage place. I feel so bad for them. Their dectuctable is $1000.
Dusty
Old 05-17-2005, 01:25 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's an ugly story, Dusty and Don. We'll be more aware of securing the laundry hamper door. We may try the hasp and lock since we've decided to remove the laundry basket to make more room in the basement.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 AM   #12
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
We use the laundry shoot to access stored items in the basement without having to go outside. It is a great place to put somthing that you do not want to keep inside but may need.
BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BandJ

We use the laundry shoot to access stored items in the basement without having to go outside. It is a great place to put somthing that you do not want to keep inside but may need.
We also do the samething! It is nice not having to go outside! LOL
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Like my husband always says....."IF THEY WANT IN THEY WILL GET IN!" They will do more damage getting in if it's locked versus unlocked. Now I don't mean the enterance door, but if someone is small enough and wants to take all the stuff stored in the basement out then so be it.

After 25 years of marriage I give up.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Tundra Rose had a great suggestion. I had the screws out of my steps looking for a place to tap in for a 110 outlet in the basement (with no success). Had a hard time finding the screws. They hide themselves pretty good. So, even if you wanted to use the laundry chute later, you could remove the screws and the holes would literally disappear.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote