Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #21
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We have a 2010 3000RK and the wheels are 110PSI. Mounted Sailun tires ST235/85R -16 back on July 2018 and run them at between 90 to 95 PSI.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My 2007 3075RL is also a lighter model. I replaced the OEM ST tires with LT tires, specifically Michelin XPS Ribs. Ran the first set 8 yrs and 25,000 miles. Most of those miles in the first 5 yrs before life began to cut our travel opportunities. Tires still looked practically new when I replaced them with new Michelins two years ago. And that included long trips in temps as high as 108 degrees and never even a low tire.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:02 PM   #23
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
My 2007 3075RL is also a lighter model. I replaced the OEM ST tires with LT tires, specifically Michelin XPS Ribs. Ran the first set 8 yrs and 25,000 miles. Most of those miles in the first 5 yrs before life began to cut our travel opportunities. Tires still looked practically new when I replaced them with new Michelins two years ago. And that included long trips in temps as high as 108 degrees and never even a low tire.
Wow! So, you ran them for 8 years....then these might still be good? I heard that tires can look great on the outside but be going bad on the inside, so to change them every 5-6 years. I am confused now.

I called Keystone and got the particulars for this particular VIN. It's 80 psi and 235/80/R16E

Thanks everyone, for your wonderful help!
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #24
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
No, it is time to change tires. Get good tires not cheap tires. Until Sailun I changed every 4 years, now 5 years. Old tires may blow at any time. Usually while on a trip going down the road. The tire is pennies compared to the damage it can cause. How lucky are you?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Wow! So, you ran them for 8 years....then these might still be good? I heard that tires can look great on the outside but be going bad on the inside, so to change them every 5-6 years. I am confused now.
Michelin says to inspect the tires yearly beginning at 5 years and replace at 10 years. Some other manufacturers are less confident in their tires.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #26
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Michelin says to inspect the tires yearly beginning at 5 years and replace at 10 years. Some other manufacturers are less confident in their tires.
Yup! That's what Michelin says. Problem is, they do not build ST tires.

As I recall Michelin has never provided LT tires as OEM for RV trailers. They did have some experience with their Uniroyal brand on Keystone trailers for year models 2005 & 2006. Since then the only LT (sort of) tires used as OEM have been 16" LRG. That's not to say they cannot be used. However, that's a vehicle manufacturer's decision as it is with passenger tires.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #27
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
He doesn’t have to change wheels to run Sailun at 80#. LT will have a lower carrying capacity in most cases and will have a lighter sidewall. Everyone makes their own decision and most here have gone with the Sailun as it has the best reputation and has been around a while.
I would never inflate a tire 30# below suggested tire inflation numbers.
There is also nothing wrong in replacing the tires with the same ones if he has gotten good service out of them.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #28
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Yup! That's what Michelin says. Problem is, they do not build ST tires.

As I recall Michelin has never provided LT tires as OEM for RV trailers. ..........
There have been some TTs/5ers supplied with Michelin LT, but I can't remember now who except for remembering Airstream putting them on some of their trailers.

Michelin web site used to state the XPS Ribs could be used for RVs back when I first put them on mine. But they no longer have that designation stated.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #29
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I would never inflate a tire 30# below suggested tire inflation nbumbers.
The tire manufacturer's maximum inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall is the PSI value needed for the tire to provide it's maximum load capacity.

The correct tire inflation for all Original Equipment tires is set by the vehicle manufacturer and is known as "recommended cold tire inflation".

All subsequent tire inflations are derived from the OE tire recommendation. Optional inflation pressures are allowed from what the vehicle manufacturer recommended all the way to sidewall max.

Normal under inflation starts below what was recommended. Over inflation starts when above sidewall max. Pressure increases from normal tire heat - driving down the highway - is a factor engineered as acceptable for all highway tires. Each brand manufacturer will publish normal acceptable ranges for each designated size and model.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #30
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
There have been some TTs/5ers supplied with Michelin LT, but I can't remember now who except for remembering Airstream putting them on some of their trailers.
You're right I forgot Airstream's optional offer for Michelin LT tires on their Eddie Baure models.

Michelin also got involved with using one of their 17.5" European designed low platform tires on some heavy model trailers. Problem was; the "J" speed rating (62 MPH).

These are all from Michelin:

Never choose a tire that is smaller in size or has less load-carrying capacity than the tire that came with the vehicle.

Tires should always be replaced with the same size designation — or approved options — as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

The correct tire size designated for your vehicle should always be verified with the information in your vehicle owner’s manual, or vehicle certification label.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #31
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I had the Michelin xps ribs on a previous rv with 6,000 pound axles and they were every bit as good if not better than the sailuns I have now on 7,000 pound axles.The 10 ply Michelin's weigh the same as the 14 ply sailuns at 62 or 63 pounds. The Michelin tires are all steel tread and sidewall as the sailuns also. I prefer the Michelins at 80 psi over the sailuns if you can only put 80 psi in your tires because of the air pressure restriction. I would consider 30 psi below maximum 110 as underinflated.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #32
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Thanks, everyone! It looks like it is best to stick with 80psi tire.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #33
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I would caution anyone who under inflates his tires to be very careful. A under inflated tire will wear out on the edges faster. Have greater rolling resistance which uses more energy to roll. There is a reason they put 110 psi wheels on 5ers. I have 80psi on mine. I would also surmise that the lighter trailer like mine @ 13,000# max load is ok with the lower pressure tire but newer rig weigh more than mine would require more tire with higher psi wheels. Maybe they all come that way I don't know for sure. before I under inflate my tires I would talk to the tire guy to be sure it's ok to do that.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #34
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I upgraded to Sailuns from Ranier (already had 110psi wheels), but I have a much heavier FW than you. If you have 6000lb axles with 80psi wheels, you can continue to use E-rated tires, but try to find Carlisles or GY Endurance rather some cheap chinese knock-off. As others have mentioned, Sailuns can be used down to 80psi based on their inflation chart, and they are very competitive with pricing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #35
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
LT tires at 80psig and in the 235/80 or 85 sizes max out at 3042 pounds capacity each. Sailun tires at 80 psig are rated at 3640 pounds per tire. Michelin LT XPS and one Bridgestone line tires are also rated for RV use and the only LTs that I could find that are rated for such use. They are not cheap. I've run General LTs on this as well as the last 5er and have had but one flat though due to a valve failure, not road debris or construction in over 25K miles in temps over 105F. At 5 years old, the current tires are about aged out. I need to make a decision - Sailuns or one more set of General as they are about the same price. If I have a tire failure in East Overshoe, I can buy a new General pretty easily. A Sailun - ???
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #36
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Without reading all the other replies, two things come to mind. 1) if the tires are more than 6 years old, replace them regardless of condition or remaining tread. There is a date code on the sidewall of each tire. 2) With the age of that Monty, the tires could have been replaced already. Has the Monty been to the scale for axle weights and GVW? If not, it would be good to do that before buying tires. It could be that the LR E tires that came on it are good enough but if there is any question, I'd recommending upgrading to LR G tires. First make sure the rims are rated for 110 psi. I prefer Goodyear G614 tires but a lot of people have been saying good things about the Sailuns and the cost is definitely less than the G614.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #37
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
The max inflation pressure is just that, the maximum pressure you can, not necessarily should, have in your tires. Go look at your passenger car tires, I bet your door sticker says to run them at a much lower pressure than the tires max. One of my cars has a max pressure of 44lbs and the door sticker says 30psi. Another's tires say 51 max and the door sticker says 35lbs, that is the same percentage as running a 110lb tire at 80lbs.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #38
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
The max inflation pressure is just that, the maximum pressure you can, not necessarily should, have in your tires. Go look at your passenger car tires, I bet your door sticker says to run them at a much lower pressure than the tires max. One of my cars has a max pressure of 44lbs and the door sticker says 30psi. Another's tires say 51 max and the door sticker says 35lbs, that is the same percentage as running a 110lb tire at 80lbs.
The comparison of vehicle manufacturer recommended cold tire inflation pressures for passenger vehicles to those on RV trailers is not accurate. The FMVSS directions that must be followed differ considerably.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #39
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
The comparison of vehicle manufacturer recommended cold tire inflation pressures for passenger vehicles to those on RV trailers is not accurate. The FMVSS directions that must be followed differ considerably.
Yes, you're correct WRT to car/trailer comparisons. OTOH, if a tire mfgr. (Sailun, for example) provides an inflation chart showing a range of 80 to 110psi depending on the carried load for its ST tire, one can use as little as 80psi after compensating for the pin weight. There is no common-sense reason to use 110psi if a trailer weighs, for example, 12,000lbs. I'd argue those tires would experience more center wear, less footprint and unnecessarily jar the trailer and its contents.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #40
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Yes, you're correct WRT to car/trailer comparisons. OTOH, if a tire mfgr. (Sailun, for example) provides an inflation chart showing a range of 80 to 110psi depending on the carried load for its ST tire, one can use as little as 80psi after compensating for the pin weight. There is no common-sense reason to use 110psi if a trailer weighs, for example, 12,000lbs. I'd argue those tires would experience more center wear, less footprint and unnecessarily jar the trailer and its contents.
There is no valid reason to inflate RV trailer tires to the load carried. The USTMA provides the industry stands for such tire inflations. However, vehicle manufacturer recommended cold inflation pressures are considered minimum and the USTMA will not recommend anything less.

Here is the standard from the USTMA.

"Inflation pressure recommendations may also be determined based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a given load. These inflation pressures may differ from those found on the vehicle tire placard or certification label."

"However, never use inflation pressure lower than specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on the tire sidewall."

It's important to remember that vehicle manufacturers have the sole responsibility to set recommended cold inflation pressures for Original Equipment tires. Those recommendations are minimum and carry over to all replacement tires.