Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, MEGA KUDOS!!

As happens, we had landing leg issues, as in one of them was jammed and would not retract or extend.

I first reported it on my blog, here.

Well, it was an interesting 4 days after that, most of which was recorded at Facebook. I took some photos as well, of course.

I have turned the Facebook postings and the photos into two more posts on Reflections.

First two days.

Second two days.

And, for those of you that don't want to click through to the blog - -

SPECIAL and LOUD thanks to Venture Manufacturing and Zieman Manufacturing, now Lippert!

THEY COULD NOT have treated us any better.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Hey Carol are the RV Technomads friends of yours? We live in Billings, MT, where they are currently having their bus repaired. We would be happy to hook up with them and take them to the zoo or something? Just wanted to check before I contact them! Fellow RVrs have to take care of fellow RVrs!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
BTW...forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on the repair and the helpful customer service! I haven't had much of a chance to keep up with your blog lately, or even email for that matter, as I was directing a musical at my son's school with 172 kids in it and I am just now recovering!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad it worked out for you and good to hear we can trust those companies. Would have liked to have seen the musical! Look forward to seeing you at the Rally.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
The musical was great fun Dick! The kids did a GREAT job! It was every 3-6th grade class and an extra 40+ kids from Kindergarten-8th grade. We Schoolhouse Rock Live Jr! and it was a blast. The show was designed for 20 kids and I had to adjust the size of the 'choir' a little bit!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Carol, they are not personal acquaintances , I am an avid follower.

Congrats on the musical. Sounds as if it was a "singing" success.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Carol! I will see if I can send them word and say hello!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carol S and MAN-- I know what you went through since we had about the same problem but it was both legs failing and our service tech did not contact Ventura but contacted and ordered the parts from Lippert. Waited six days for the first order to come in and upon installation we found out they had sent the wrong legs. We needed the inside legs like you have but they sent the outside legs. Set up another phone call with Lippert and they said it would be another 5-6 days before they could get them out. Asked about express delivery and to fly them in it was $150 extra-- yah right-- so we settled for two day delivery. Delivery sent BUT UPS does not deliver on Saturdays UNLESS you pay an extra fee of $25. They didn't tell us that SOOOO we had to wait till Monday for the delivery and once those came in we had them installed and took the bracing away. No problems and good to go. Like you guys, we had a tower of blocks and two 12 ton jacks under the Monte and also two heavy duty jack stands to hold her up until we could get the correct legs back in. We took it in stride with some extra words expressed and went on several side trips to see some of the sights around Little Rock. Glad you guys got it all fixed and on the road again. Take care and give us a call when you get time!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ron, I remember your situation.

We also had the issue of time, as we could NOT stay at that campground any later than Friday AM, so, when we pulled out, we had less than 24 hours. I am not sure what they would have done about it, but, that deadline added a little edge to the entire week, eh??

We did some sightseeing too during the wait for parts, and I did some research! Imagine that! LOL
Old 06-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Hated your misfortune but loved your blogs. Restores faith in some of our manufacturers. From a guy who spent my entire working life in customer service thanks for taking the time to salute your suppliers and service people. Jim
Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I'm glad you got the landing gear situation resolved. If you recall, last December we followed you into Las Cruces the day you left there. We came in without having unhitched for three days because of a bad landing gear. Same thing. Jammed. Bent washer.

We had an appt with the Montana dealer there who rebuilt that leg, using our Good Sam Extended Service Plan. Picked up the rig, got to the park, unhitched, went to level the rig and the OTHER leg actually collapsed. I was able to get it hitched back up (barely able to because of the angle) and took it back to the dealer. They had to order a new leg and we couldn't unhitch (no landing gear stability) so had to rent a car for several days to do our grocery shopping and some sightseeing. Eventually that leg was replaced.

Next stop, got us level side to side, then unhitched and leveled front to back. Went inside and found we're not level side to side. Bathroom door flies closed, etc. Low on the side with the new leg. Next stop, same thing. Next one, same thing again. Finally, next stop, before unhitching and when ready to spin down the rotating foot on the new leg I first tried lifting the outer tube, the one that comes down with the extend/retract switch. Sure enough, there's nearly an inch of slop in that leg.

Contacted Venture. Turns out the replacement leg is not Venture's. There's no name, no numbers on it. I can buy a new Venture leg for that side for $165 and shipping. I have to decide whether to buy that leg and replace this other one or just continue to do the leveling as I now do it, by lifting that bad leg and then spinning down the foot. A bit of a pain but I figure with shipping it's $200 and my labor and I can do a lot of lifting and spinning for $200.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
SteveR, I sure do remember. We could not get the leg to move at all after the fail. and we were way out of our comfort zone, so we went and had it fixed and now, we are more comfy. I am wondering how long I will be jumpy every time we hook and unhook?? That was some action inside Tana when it went down. Scared the dogs and my blood pressure did not come back to normal for some hours!

And, now on to the State of Washington!