Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
How my DH fixed this problem

When we had our washer/dryer installed.... We noticed there was a switch on it to allow only wash or dry at any one time. Could not do both at same time. The place we had them installed was surprised to know about the switch! DUH!
My husband is electrician so he checked to see what each of them were pulling in amperage. We would have probably been OK there with him by-passing the switch, but he installed another circuit and put a 4 outlet plug in the basement. He plugged the washer into that but first had to put a good cord and plug on the washer because washer/dryer were sharing one plug to plug in. Now we have an extra outlet in the basement on the back side. Comes in handy when vacuuming the basement, and our tacky lights! Now the washer/dryer can both be used at the same time.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, I don't really understand what was done, but I like the idea. At some point I will explore the change more thoroughly. Thanks for the post.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The people who emailed some questions about this, when we replied we got the email back so here is exactly how he did it.

My husband is telling me what to type...
FIRST TURN OFF POWER.....
The first thing you need is an outlet. Ours is a Kenmore washer/dryer also.
You need to run romex cable from the power panel, to below the washer dryer. He ran the romex cable from in back of the power panel to the basement (we have the 3295 Montana) We had an extra circuit in the power panel. He anchored the outlet to the frame below the washer and dryer. He had to drill a hole behind the washer to drop a cord through to plug into the new outlet.
That is the easy part, he said.
Next you will have to take the big flat panel out first,(from the washer/dryer) the one that hides the hoses and everything. Two screws.
There are 4 screws on the sides of the support that loosens another panel under the controls. You should be able to pull the control panel down. (Don't do what he did and take the timers off. He did and ended up breaking the washer timer and had to get one yesterday. He installed it today) You don't have to take the timers off, or knobs.
Once you have the panel down. Find the switch for washer and dryer, pull the wires off the switch. (cut off the connectors) Then strip end of wires. , there should be 3 wires on it. Ours was black (hot), yellow was either washer or dryer, blue was either washer or dryer. Hook one of the colors with black, Turn power on to find out which is washer and dryer. Be careful not to short it out. Start it to see which is which. Be careful and put a wire nut on black and whatever color so you don't get shocked. Then you can turn it on to find which is which.
Once you find out which is dryer, you can hook that up to the original circuit. Turn power off again.
You are going to need a cord with a 3 pronged plug. That gets fed through that hold you drilled earlier from basement. You need a tester, so you can find out which wire on your cord is the hot and neural. Hot wire on your cord, goes to other wire on that switch. The one you haven't used. Next little problem is there is a 2 wire plug inside the washer panel, you have to use the white wire to splice into the neural wire from the new cord. That should be all the wiring done. He said the hard part is putting everything back together.
If you want to ask me anything just email my wife, and I will try to help.
Good luck
Don & Dusty

Dusty,
What make W/D do you have (ours is a Kenmore)? We have the same problem as we can only wash or dry, but not both at the same time. I have some elementary knowledge of electricity and working on major appliances. How difficult a job is it to connect the washer and the dryer to different circuits?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad to hear you got it setup to run both simultaneously, Dusty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yessssssss! We are glad too.