Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Brakes finally fixed! (I Think)

Remember me? I bought a new Montana 2955RL and the place that installed my hitch & wiring basically blew the job. (see my posting history)

I took it back to them at least three times and they PROMISED me that they'd fix it the week after Christmas. They were closed the week after Christmas. No call, no nothing.

I replaced my brake controller. Didn't fix the problem but I wanted to eliminate it as a possiblity. (Now I have a spare one)

Finally we had a weekend that wasn't raining. I pulled the connector apart and found that the ground post was loose. Ground is the center post, so there's plenty of places for it to short to if it moves around. I fixed it. (a 15 second fix!)

I also found that they put the connector in a place that was too tight for the wires. They have to make a 90 degree turn, and that was stressing the connector and probably causing the ground post to short out to the Trailer Brake circuit. I added a 1/2" spacer to give the wires more room and take the stress off.

All in all I spent less that 3 hours doing this and test towing my rig. No failures.

Only time will tell of course, but I think this is going to work.

Alpine RV in Morgan Hill CA will never again get my business. (A shame too, they used to be good, this is the 3'rd rig I've bought from them)

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yea,

I'm happy for you. Some times the old saying, "If you want the job done right, you have to do it yourself" is correct.

Too bad it happens but I guess thats the way life goes.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good job, MuddyPaws! It grates on me to have to do someone else's job for them, especially when I've already paid them. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do it. I guess saving the time and aggravation is worth something, too. Anyhow, glad you got this fixed. Now you're ready to go.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
It always helps to be a handyman when you have an RV. When it comes to brakes I have problems trusting a shop. Good job. Thanks for sharing.
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote