Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
replacing exit windows

Our 2007 3500rl has the exit windows without screens. Has anyone ever replaced these windows with windows that have a screen so we can get better cross ventilation. Thanks for any help. John

2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper, I will see if I can find the slide-show of it for you. it's not hard at all.

Here it is The window is from Kinro in Goshen
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, the slide-show may not be too clear, you order the window, it comes complete as a install kit with the trim, and escape hardware. You only use the outer window, there is a little screw you remove so the window slides off the extruded slide rail. Slide the window off the trailer, then slide on the new one, replace the screw and you are done.
Call or email Kinro with your window dimensions and style needed.
PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John Kohl and I made this "OZZ MOD" to both our rigs three rallies ago. He had single pane and I got double pane. What makes no sense is that the desk escape window comes standard as a slider/escape window. It is the Bedroom window that had no screen or lock rod to hold it open. We ordered the windows from Kinro as per the OZZ MOD and mine cost about 165.00. Keystone claimed that a double paned slider escape window wasn't made which was BS because they put one over the desk from the factory. At the Rally John and I went to Kinro and pick up the windows a few days after we ordered them. It took about 5 minutes to change out the windows...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If I remember clearly, Dennis: Ham Rad, can tell you a short-cut on how to remove the factory window...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Just curious but what does this kind of mod do for resale/tradein concerns? I thought there was legislation (state, national, don't know) that required emergency windows in a trailer or two depending on its size.

As the owner replacing those windows are a good idea, but will you have to put back the safety windows when you sell or trade the unit? With a dealer you probably won't have to worry about it cuz they'll find a way to incorporate this cost, but what about a private sale, you sell it, they have a problem, then what's the liability?

Between you and me, it seems safety windows are on afterthought, both too high to do me and my even-shorter wife any good in our rig. It seems all that was accomplished was they are there, but using them means I'll probaby break my legs dropping eight feet from the bedroom one or impaling myself on some hookup on the other one which also seems too high. Replacing them with conventional windows is definitely feasible to gain some use and flexibility (the emergency window is either closed shut, or swung way open).

I was wondering if anyone with this knowledge had considered this. The good news is if you do this please post pictures. I happen to have the same floorplan (just different doors into the Rear Living Room).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Art, the escape feature hasn't changed. The frame stays, it's just the glass insert.
It's still an escape window. I know it's hard to tell in the pictures.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Did they change things on the newer units? Mine came with a screen installed.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes Lee, they finally corrected the mistake.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

If I remember clearly, Dennis: Ham Rad, can tell you a short-cut on how to remove the factory window...
Jim,
Yep! The easiest way is to leave the window unlatched so it will flop around easily. Then get on the road and go about 75mph and for good measure have a 40mph cross wind. This will ensure that the window comes off easily!
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
You gotta love the way Dennis figures out solutions to tough problems! Jim
Dennis, Give our best to Mary Kay also.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

You gotta love the way Dennis figures out solutions to tough problems! Jim
Dennis, Give our best to Mary Kay also.
Sorry Dennis, I just had to. I'm surprised I remembered CRS and all..
Jim are you guys in K.C. or someplace warm?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Ozz, We are still in KC. How can anyone leave weather like this. I understand it might get warm enough tomorrow to wash the truck. Just in time for the next snow. Jim
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The Kelpes have experience with the bedroom escape window! We were following them to Goshen last fall and saw something fly off. Thought it was a side basement door but nope it was the window! We stopped, picked the window out of the ditch, put it in our TV and called them to let them know to pull over. They had no idea it even came loose! The factory replaced it when they got there!!

Jim and Ozz-- I'll send some of our "white stuff" down there to you along with the temps and the freezing rain we're getting right now! I really think we all need to hook up and head SOUTH!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Rondo, Wait until I get the truck washed this afternoon. I don't want to put any more of that pretty white stuff over the salt and muck on the truck. Freezing rain makes for a great mixer in a cocktail. Also if you can hold it off for a few days I think Mudchief is still trying to get out of a state park just south and west of here. Jim
P.S. I hate to admit it but I think we are heading North in about two weeks for the Ice Carnival.