Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
chandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19813
North to Alaska

Just got to Alaska, here is some info for those of you following later,
Customs: Fill out the ArriveCAN app. It will make your crossing easier & faster.
Diesel: If you have a 36gal tank you should be ok, if not, carry extra. If you boondock carry extra. Cost about $2.50 a liter or about eight to nine dollars a gal.
Don’t plan on finding big truck stops like Flying J, etc, they don’t exist. CanPetrol is the closest. Don’t stop at the CO-OP’s you have to be a member. Canandian pumps don’t take credit cards that do not have pin # associated with them. However, go inside and they accept them at the counter, otherwise, its debit cards at the pump. They will want you to pre-pay for what you think you need.
DEF carry as much extra as you can. I’ve payed $30 for a jug. Tractor Supply & O’Reilly’s have the best prices on the US side of the boarder. If you can find Canadian stations with Def Pumps, use them, it is really cheap.
Canadian Cash: ATM, just like home.
Roads: once past Ft Nelson are marginal. Speed: 45 to 55 on the good parts.
Toy hollers: consider extra leaf springs.
Roadside rest: not like US, some a just wide pull offs after Watson Lake.
I drove form southern NM in a 2017 Ram 3500 pulling a 3160 Montana 5th wheel. No Problems. New tires all around.
Have Fun

chandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #2
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Hope you enjoyed the trip through Canada.
I am surprised the Co-op stations insisted on a membership - we get our fuel at the Co-ops throughout our Province and many customers just skip the Member Number prompt.
Our credit cards have been "chipped" for at least 15 years, and they store the encrypted PIN so the transaction doesn't need to be processed by the banks' servers before starting the pump. Virtually all of the card readers expect the chipped version, and needs to check with the issuing bank (electronically, in real time) if there is no chip. Your card(s) probably failed the initial test, so going to the attendant is the quickest way to get your pump started.
We used to travel in the U.S. with our chipped credit cards, and ran into the ZIP code problem, until we learned the workaround from some on-line sources. Hmmmm, I thought credit cards were supposed to make travel easier !
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Thanks for sharing. We are heading to Nova Scotia next month. We are pretty much prepared, have 2 diesel cans and planned on picking up a couple of DEF boxes.
I read you need to have "loonies" and "toonies" (coins) for the laundry machines at Campgrounds.

Useful Price per gallon converter
https://usgas.ca/us
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Smile Canadian purchases

[QUOTE=Daryles;1252772]Thanks for sharing. We are heading to Nova Scotia next month. We are pretty much prepared, have 2 diesel cans and planned on picking up a couple of DEF boxes.
I read you need to have "loonies" and "toonies" (coins) for the laundry machines at Campgrounds.
---------------------------------- / / --------------------------------
Yes, Loonies ( $ 1.00 coin) and Toonies ( $ 2.00 coin) are popular and essential for the laundries AND often the coin-operated showers for those preserving their gray tanks. I would also recommend getting some quarters in-hand as well, and try for the Canadian version, as some of the vending machines don't like the weight differences of Canadian versus U.S. quarters.

The other thing to remember is the "round up/down" rules on cash sales now days in Canada - if the sale, after taxes, ends up with less than 5 cents in the total, the system or clerk is to round down the price and provide change accordingly. For example, if your cash sale comes to $ 5.94, then your cash total to be paid is $ 5.90, and if the total cash sale price was
$ 5.96, then the amount to be paid would be $ 6.00 . The exception to these rules are credit card or debit card sales - you pay the exact amount.

Essentially for CASH sales, we are avoiding the use of pennies. Statistically, the round up/down process averages out, so no one loses or wins.
Here is the Government of Canada's official word on this: “Only cash transactions require rounding,” says Finance Canada's website. “Cheques and transactions using electronic payments — debit, credit and payments cards — do not need to be rounded, because they can be settled electronically to the exact amount.”
So, when the clerk asks for an amount a few cents higher than the total on the cash register, that is why. Save the pennies and use your U.S. debit/credit card !
Welcome to Canada, eh.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Wow - Canada...it's like its a different country up there!
I'm just jealous wishing I could go this summer!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Ummm....Canada IS a different country. Wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, and friendly people. But if you carry a firearm in your RV for whatever reason, be aware that our gun laws are VERY different up here. (And we like it that way.)
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #7
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Have fun and thanks for your info
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Ummm....Canada IS a different country. Wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, and friendly people. But if you carry a firearm in your RV for whatever reason, be aware that our gun laws are VERY different up here. (And we like it that way.)
I’m pretty sure he was being facetious. Trying to interpret your tone.

My understanding is you cannot carry a firearm across the Canadian Border. Is this correct?

Many of us carry firearms legally in the US. (And we like it that way)
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Smile Travel north of the 49 th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I’m pretty sure he was being facetious. Trying to interpret your tone.

My understanding is you cannot carry a firearm across the Canadian Border. Is this correct?

Many of us carry firearms legally in the US. (And we like it that way)
We Canadians are hoping that visitors to our country do not feel or experience the need to carry weapons that are allowed in the U.S.
Our federal government has a myriad of rules and regulations about firearms and transporting them into our country. It is strongly recommended that anyone planning to come into Canada check out our rules and regulations about firearms, food, alcohol, marijuana/cannabis, and medications via the websites set up for visitors. Lastly, it's a good idea to bring some Canadian cash, or obtain some upon arrival. Many merchants and hospitality places do not offer much or any "exchange" on U.S. currency.

The bottom line: our country is different, but shares many values and attitudes as the U.S residents: honesty, tolerance, acceptance, and optimism. Come on up - we can use the money, and more importantly, the shared enjoyment of the RV lifestyle
Old 06-23-2022, 05:39 AM   #10
Fuzzfam

M.O.C. #22754
Alaska TRip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandy View Post
Customs: Fill out the ArriveCAN app. It will make your crossing easier & faster.
Diesel: If you have a 36gal tank you should be ok, if not, carry extra. If you boondock carry extra. Cost about $2.50 a liter or about eight to nine dollars a gal.
Don’t plan on finding big truck stops like Flying J, etc, they don’t exist. CanPetrol is the closest. Don’t stop at the CO-OP’s you have to be a member. Canandian pumps don’t take credit cards that do not have pin # associated with them. However, go inside and they accept them at the counter, otherwise, its debit cards at the pump. They will want you to pre-pay for what you think you need.
DEF carry as much extra as you can. I’ve payed $30 for a jug. Tractor Supply & O’Reilly’s have the best prices on the US side of the boarder. If you can find Canadian stations with Def Pumps, use them, it is really cheap.
I drove form southern NM in a 2017 Ram 3500 pulling a 3160 Montana 5th wheel. No Problems. New tires all around.
Have Fun
We did the Alaska Trip in 2019. Make sure you have the Mile Marker Magazine. It is the BEST help you can get. Tells everything to see and where everything is on the way to anywhere. Expect to drive very slow. Safest way and only way to keep you rig together. We followed dozers in creating roads as we went. Worth every minute! Moose came out of the woods to watch. Grizzlies feed by the road and lots of brown and black bears
Lots of Buffalo to watch. Waterfalls are Amazing!! Will definitely do it again! Soldotna on the Kanai River was GREAT and so was VALDEZ. If you fish there look up Billy at the docks to clean your fish. He is a great guy. Fast, cheap and a real teacher about everything in Alaska. He knows it all. He was hopeless when we were there so I took him leftover dinner. He was very appreciative. Tell him Kenny and Joanna from Arkansas said look him up. We found Homer to be a bit boring. Kelchner farm is a waste of money and they do expect you to "donate" $20 per person. They live 12 miles from McDonalds. If we were leaving this morning for a Canada fishing trip we would definitely be planning an Alaska one! We meet so many great new friends along the way. People are so nice and want to teach you the true Alaskan way and adventures. Have a great trip! One you will never forget!
Fuzzfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:55 PM   #11
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandy View Post
Have Fun
Just passing thru watson lake
Sounds like I'm a few days behind you
Great trip so far.. loving it
Yes fuel is expensive but not far off the states
Just paid 2.29 a liter for diesel.. ouch..
Roads are not great .. go slow and enjoy the journey..
Lots of amazing scenery to see and critters..
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote