Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
Wiring Question

Hi -
Long time reader to this forum.

March 2020 we purchased a new 305RL. At the purchase we had additional options placed into the coach. They were onboard generator (5500 Onan generator, one 12 volt battery to 4 6 volt batteries, a BUNCH of solar and a 3000 watt Go Power Inverter.

Since purchasing we have struggled with power issues. Just a couple of weeks ago we changed out our older surge protector with a new Power Watch Dog EPO surge protector. It included a bluetooth app that measures voltage and amps used on each line come into the coach.

Now my question:
After plugging in the new Watch Dog we started to power up items in the coach to see where the power was going and how many amps were being used for the appliances.

As we turned on the rear AC it stated to be measured on Line 2. The front AC was turned on and it also measured on Line 2. The microwave was turned on and it also measured on Line 2. We then fired up a hair dryer and that also measured on Line 2.

Apparently when the dealership wired in all of these additional things we ordered, everything electrical in the entire coach is being channeled into Line 2 of the electrical system.

Is this correct? Shouldn't something be wired into Line 1?

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

J.J.

J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I'm not an electrician, but I do know that the load should be equal on each leg of a 220 volt service.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Were you plugged into 50amp or 30 amp service? It shouldn't matter but I'm not sure where in the circuit the watch dog measures draw.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Look at your circuit breaker panel. You will see two 50A breakers in the middle (MAIN). This is L1 and L2.
Everything to the left of left breaker is on one side. Everything on the right of the right breaker is on the other side.
Mine looks one sided since I don't have a washer or dryer but there is an air conditioner unit on each side.
Since they installed a generator and solar and a transfer switch they most likely rearranged this wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit breaker panel label.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	10014  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As long as line 2 is not drawing more than 40 amps or so it is not a problem. But it makes no sense for all those things to be on only one hot leg. Look at your circuit breaker panel and see if the breakers are labeled and which leg those devices appear to be connected to. I think the newer Montanas have the main 50 amp breaker located in the middle of the panel with hot leg 1 breakers located on one side of it and hot leg 2 breakers located on the other side.

Oops! Daryles beat me to it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
these are pictures I took of the electrical panels.
have helped wire houses in a previous lifetime. However this stuff is over my pay grade.
and 'yes' to a previous question, the coach is wired for 50amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	10017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	10018  
Old 08-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
JJ,

I tend to question if your Watch Dog is correctly measuring the current sources. Two a/c, a microwave and hairdryer would likely overload the cb on that side.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Would be nice if they took an extra minute to clearly label these things.

According to the labels it does appear both ACs are on hot leg 2 along with the dryer outlet, GFCI outlet, and other 120 vac receptacles? (REC 1). Your hair dryer may have been plugged into a GFCI outlet or GFCI protected outlet or REC 1 string.

But the microwave shows to be wired to hot leg 1 along with the water heater, washer outlet, more 120 vac receptacles (REC 2), converter, and FIRE(??).

Assuming those are correct then I would question the installation or operation of the Power Watch Dog.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
these are pictures I took of the electrical panels.
have helped wire houses in a previous lifetime. However this stuff is over my pay grade.
and 'yes' to a previous question, the coach is wired for 50amp.
The question was not if the trailer was wired for 50 amp. The question is are you plugged into 50 amp or 30 amp. A picture of your plug and EMS system might help us to help you.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #10
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
As long as it is installed correctly, the Power Watch dog is telling the truth. Were you plugged into 50A or were you plugged into 30A (using an adapter)? If plugged into 30A, there is only one hot leg. The Watch Dog could easily call this line 2 and everything would register on it. Bet this is what is going on.

Your labeling shows AC 1 & AC 2 on the left side and the microwave on the right side. However, you said all three items appear to be on line 2; so something is wrong if you are plugged into 50A service; perhaps the labeling. A little detective work, shutting off the mains or individual breakers should shed some light on this. The hair dryer is a red herring; it entirely depends on which outlet you have it plugged into.

The only thing I might change is moving one of the AC's to the right side, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Based on the items you had installed, I doubt your dealer changed anything; most likely, it came from the factory like this.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
J.J.

M.O.C. #27808
Again - Hi All:
I wish to thank all of you that have read this post and especially those who have taken some time to offer some insight into this question.

Again - when we purchased the 5th wheeler it was wired for 50amp. The additions (solar, generator and extra batteries) were placed in by the dealership, NOT the factory.

The Watch Dog surge protector was just purchased from eTrailer. It seems to work fine. Actually quite pleased with it.

When the hair dryer was turned on it was plugged into the bathroom surge protected circuit. While watching the Watch Dog app on my phone everything was being measured just fine on the two incoming lines. It was just when we started turning on items to watch only one line in handling the amps, was where I started to wonder if the coach was wired correctly.

Some here seem to think the coach is wired correctly, some seem to have the same question as I do. I still don't know the answer. I have contacted the dealership and still waiting for calls back. They are very busy, but they were not too busy to sell me the coach and accessories. They are just to busy to help with any questions.

The coach resides in our RV barn. The barn has a 50amp plug that was wired in when the structure was build. The 50amp plug has been used many times in the past. We had a 2004 Class A 36' Monaco Diplomat before the 5th wheeler. The RV barn is 1904 square feet and is heated and lite.

My next process will be to do as some have suggested. That is to start switching off breakers to see what happens.

If there are any more thoughts here, please bring them on!!
Old 08-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The breaker thing is the next logical step. That will tell if the breakers are labeled correctly. And if they are, then the Power Watch Dog would be suspect.

The bathroom outlet should be on the breaker labeled GFI.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #13
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Again - when we purchased the 5th wheeler it was wired for 50amp. The additions (solar, generator and extra batteries) were placed in by the dealership, NOT the factory.
What do solar and batteries have to do with AC power? Generator, yes, but it is just a different source for the same AC breaker panel.

Why are you concerned about how much current each leg draws? Each side of your AC breaker panel is fed by a 50A main breaker. Has one of these tripped? If not, you have no issues.

I also have the Hughs Power Watch Dog; don't think I have ever looked to see how much current each leg is drawing.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It's not uncommon for a dealer to acquire a fifth wheel that only has one A/C unit on it and adds an additional A/C unit to it, especially in areas that tend to be hot, so the rig will sell easier. Did this rig actually come from the factory with two A/C's?
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #15
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Hi -
Long time reader to this forum.

March 2020 we purchased a new 305RL. At the purchase we had additional options placed into the coach. They were onboard generator (5500 Onan generator, one 12 volt battery to 4 6 volt batteries, a BUNCH of solar and a 3000 watt Go Power Inverter.

Since purchasing we have struggled with power issues. Just a couple of weeks ago we changed out our older surge protector with a new Power Watch Dog EPO surge protector. It included a bluetooth app that measures voltage and amps used on each line come into the coach.

Now my question:
After plugging in the new Watch Dog we started to power up items in the coach to see where the power was going and how many amps were being used for the appliances.

As we turned on the rear AC it stated to be measured on Line 2. The front AC was turned on and it also measured on Line 2. The microwave was turned on and it also measured on Line 2. We then fired up a hair dryer and that also measured on Line 2.

Apparently when the dealership wired in all of these additional things we ordered, everything electrical in the entire coach is being channeled into Line 2 of the electrical system.

Is this correct? Shouldn't something be wired into Line 1?

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

J.J.
I had a similar issue, my 2 A/C units were on separate 50 amp legs but most everything else was on leg one. I started blowing breakers when we ran the fireplace in cool weather. The dealer switched out our trailer plug because it was showing signs of heat damage and also switched some of the load so that both legs were about even on power draw. He said he tested it and turned on all the appliances and heater, along with the two A/C units at the same time. The loads are now balanced on both legs and have not had any issues since then. He said that even if one leg carries most of the load, they should still be balanced and with 2 A/C units, they should be on separate legs. Sounds like perhaps some rewiring and balancing of your power load may be in order.
Mikelff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #16
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Some are going to have problems when they add a third A/C. Are they going to have to get a three phase power source to keep from having two A/C's on one leg?? As long as the loads do not exceed the rating of either hotleg, there should not be any problem.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #17
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Some are going to have problems when they add a third A/C. Are they going to have to get a three phase power source to keep from having two A/C's on one leg?? As long as the loads do not exceed the rating of either hotleg, there should not be any problem.
For three A/C units your 50amp service should still be able to handle it. You might want to switch some load to the line with one A/C and soft starts on the A/C units will help a lot with start up.
Mikelff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
Olijello

M.O.C. #25981
J.J., I believe your issue is in the transfer box the dealer installed for the generator. Also, if you are able to borrow another surge protector to verify your issue of all items on line 2.
Olijello is offline   Reply With Quote