Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Hitch needed on 5th Wheel

Hello All,
I now own a 2007 Montana 3400RL.

I want to add a large receiver hitch to it at the rear to carry several items on a "removable" flat carrying platform.

1. Should it be welded onto the trailer or just bolted?

2. Any recommendations for a Name/Brand to install?

Thanks, HawKeye

HawkeyeDoesFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Bolting would be fine. Make sure you use grade 8 bolts. I prefer 1/2 or larger. Lock tite on the threads. I would only use the frame as a mountain point. Just make sure that you dont over load the frame. It would be a good idea to box or reinforce the frame in the same area. I am not a fan of welding as i have seen welds brake but it's usually it's the metal around the weld not so much as the weld itself
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
Bolting would be fine. Make sure you use grade 8 bolts. I prefer 1/2 or larger. Lock tite on the threads. I would only use the frame as a mountain point. Just make sure that you dont over load the frame. It would be a good idea to box or reinforce the frame in the same area. I am not a fan of welding as i have seen welds brake but it's usually it's the metal around the weld not so much as the weld itself
If you are not a fan of welding, then you have the wrong welder doing it. A weld is by FAR much stronger than any bolt. Just like a properly glued wood joint, the weld/joint is usually stronger than the surrounding metal/wood.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A bolt on unit is fine. You aren't going to apply forces that a few bolts can't handle. Besides, it gives you options for removal later without much effort.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
A bolt on unit is fine. You aren't going to apply forces that a few bolts can't handle. Besides, it gives you options for removal later without much effort.
The hitch from the factory uses both. There's a bracket welded to the frame and the hitch is bolted to that with four bolts on each side
Old 10-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The hitch from the factory uses both. There's a bracket welded to the frame and the hitch is bolted to that with four bolts on each side
There are no brackets welded on my frame . A bent bracket, with gussets welded to the receiver itself , as well as the tubing etc , with that being bolted to the frame. Same as my truck receiver bolted to the frame.

See no purpose in welding to the frame, I have built several receivers , and have always bolted to the frame.

Think about what you are saying in your previous post ,welds are stronger then the bolts ,yet its bolted to the bracket thats welded to the frame, so you are right back where you started ,relying on the hitch bolted to the frame bracket . Its only as strong as those bolts or welds ,you chose .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Exactly , as said you don't see receivers welded to our truck frames ,all bolted . If you happen to have a truck that does not have a receiver hitch, there are aftermarket sold, and they are not welded ,they are bolted.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeDoesFly View Post
Hello All,
I now own a 2007 Montana 3400RL.

I want to add a large receiver hitch to it at the rear to carry several items on a "removable" flat carrying platform.

1. Should it be welded onto the trailer or just bolted?

2. Any recommendations for a Name/Brand to install?

Thanks, HawKeye

Lippert ,and Curt are two that sell an aftermarket receiver hitch, I'd go for the 5000 lb. trailer weight capacity ,with 500 lb. tongue weight . Curt sells an adjustable for whatever frame width up to 72" I believe. I have an aftermarket receiver on mine, adjustable with the weight ratings I wrote above. They are bolted to the frame ,no welding. Check E-Trailer they sell them.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Thank you to ALL whom replied to my post. First time I needed the MOC Community!

I just spoke to an Installer (DAN'S WELDING in Dover, Florida, formerly known as DOVER WELDING) whom has patented a Motorcycle Carrying Unit and installs customer solutions.

He also is hired by the Large Class A new motor-homes manufacturers to install custom hitches for rear installations. He warned me to contact Keystone and determine the maximum weight load limit recommended for the frame on the rear of my 3400RL.

He said they would use the CURT brand with 14,000 lb class 4/5 receiver.
Thanks and we can now close this Thread as DONE!! Appreciate your knowledge. HawKeye
Old 10-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Thanks so Much!!
Old 10-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Thanks so much!
Old 10-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
We have a 2007 3400RL. If you contact Keystone expect them to tell you not to do it (that’s what they told me).
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
HawkeyeDoesFly
Established Member

M.O.C. #27117
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjjj View Post
We have a 2007 3400RL. If you contact Keystone expect them to tell you not to do it (that’s what they told me).

You are appreciated and that's what I really expect if I continue down this path. May have to put the items up front on my truck. BTW: You are the first person to have my same 5th wheel, year and model 3400RL and to reply to me. Cheers! HawKeye
Old 10-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeDoesFly View Post
You are appreciated and that's what I really expect if I continue down this path. May have to put the items up front on my truck. BTW: You are the first person to have my same 5th wheel, year and model 3400RL and to reply to me. Cheers! HawKeye
I sold my 2008 3400RL this past spring, bought new. I wouldn't of had any problem as my friend putting on a receiver hitch, and pulling a 12' ATV trailer with a ATV on it with his 2010 Montana fifth wheel, can't imagine our frames are any different then his . There is no use putting on a 14,000 lb rated receiver ,can't tow that much or the tongue weight associated with it.

My present fifth wheel has the same frame as the old Montana, the receiver on it is rated for 5,000 lbs towing ,and 500 lbs. tongue weight. 500 lbs is quite of bit weight, not sure what you want to put back there, but would it be more then the 500 ???
Old 10-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
So that means you drill the frame and i alway wonder about that. And does the under-cover come off easliy?
Newbie rich 2001 f250 2006 montana 2931 rl
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lazz View Post
So that means you drill the frame and i alway wonder about that. And does the under-cover come off easliy?
Newbie rich 2001 f250 2006 montana 2931 rl

That coroplast is no big deal ,on mine its just notched out of the way where the hitch bracket is bolted on. If you order a hitch from the factory ,they are drilled ,and bolted on . Its done right at the end of the frame, I would not think there is compromise at all to the frame , if it was a simple gusset would solve that problem .
Old 10-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
There are no brackets welded on my frame . A bent bracket, with gussets welded to the receiver itself , as well as the tubing etc , with that being bolted to the frame. Same as my truck receiver bolted to the frame.

See no purpose in welding to the frame, I have built several receivers , and have always bolted to the frame.

Think about what you are saying in your previous post ,welds are stronger then the bolts ,yet its bolted to the bracket thats welded to the frame, so you are right back where you started ,relying on the hitch bolted to the frame bracket . Its only as strong as those bolts or welds ,you chose .
We are currently camping and I just went out and looked at my factory hitch again there are to c channels with the c part facing the outside of the camper. The C channels are welded to the bottom side of the frame. The hitch assembly bolts to the back sides of those C Channels with four bolts on each side.

I took a good picture but for some reason I can't figure out how to post it from this phone
Old 10-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
We are currently camping and I just went out and looked at my factory hitch again there are to c channels with the c part facing the outside of the camper. The C channels are welded to the bottom side of the frame. The hitch assembly bolts to the back sides of those C Channels with four bolts on each side.

I took a good picture but for some reason I can't figure out how to post it from this phone
It sounds like like things have change ,my friends 2010 Montana was bolted ,and he built a new receiver hitch that was a bit more stout ,and bolted it to the existing holes ,but added one more ,plus some gussets . But no welding to the frame . As said you may be welded to the frame ,but the end results is your hitch is bolted to the bracket. So you are right back to where you started, as if you would just bolted everything. Nothing was accomplished by welding to the frame.

My aftermarket receiver hitch as said is bolted ,no welding ,neither is receiver hitches on our trucks, at least not my Ram or my previous Superduty .
Old 10-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I was really just stating the fact that mine is welded from the factory and like you say also bolted together

Just had Mor ryde independent suspension installed in June the entire thing is welded on. There are four bolts on each wheel location by Merrilee for alignment purposes
Old 10-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #20
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
I was really just stating the fact that mine is welded from the factory and like you say also bolted together

Just had Mor ryde independent suspension installed in June the entire thing is welded on. There are four bolts on each wheel location by Merrilee for alignment purposes
I stand corrected , checked with that friend, yes he had welded brackets on the frame, and the hitch was bolted to that. As said mine is bolted to the flange of the frame ,no welding , but it is aftermarket.

IMO the welding is okay if done right, big reason a lot of you guys go to the IS, is the poor welding ,and suspension failure . I sent some pictures to another member of the gussets ,and bracing that I have done on my suspension , there won't be any hanger brackets breaking on mine, which is usually the case, along with occasionally a broken spring. I may go with the X-factor type braces, which I made for my previous fifth wheel .