Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #21
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I welded low profile skid wheels on mine. eTrailer has some bolt on units; no experience with them. One of these days, I will replace the toy hitch with a real one and the skid wheels will be put on that. To my knowledge, the skid wheels have never touched the ground.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Steel-Micro-Roller.html

The last photo is my old 5th wheel; it had a real hitch.
If I mounted those wheels on the bottom of my 2021 I assure you they would hit! Here's what my 1 week old camper now looks like on the back after dragging pulling into the camper storage this week. I definitely plan on getting those wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9704.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	8047   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9709.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	8048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9705.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	8049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9708.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	8050  

Old 12-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
(If anyone knows how I can keep my photo uploads from uploading upside down please do lemme know...this happened on a post yesterday. Yesterday I posted from my phone. Today I posted from my laptop. The camera is an iPhone 7...but they appear normal everywhere except when I load here)
Old 12-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #23
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nard Dog View Post
(If anyone knows how I can keep my photo uploads from uploading upside down please do lemme know...this happened on a post yesterday. Yesterday I posted from my phone. Today I posted from my laptop. The camera is an iPhone 7...but they appear normal everywhere except when I load here)
Some of us have noticed the rotated pictures and, not understanding why, asked the support people for an explanation. Their response was:

Most phones auto rotate the view for the viewer. If you take a pic in landscape orientation the pic will display properly regardless of the way you turn the device. The forum can't do that. Most phones default camera orientation is portrait - folks shoot a pic in the non-default view and it always looks fine to them - they upload the pic here and it displays in it's default view (on it's side).

The solution for most folks to fix this is to open the image holding the phone in portrait orientation, and resave the image on their device. When they upload it here - it should behave correctly.

Some phones have onboard software to fix this issue - some don't. Confusing...

My phone doesn't seem to work that way. I wind up loading the pictures (email or direct connect) to my PC where incorrect rotation is readily apparent.

I hope this helps.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #24
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
I found if I tried to load my photos straight from my phone camera, more times than not it would be sideways or upside down. Make sure your LIVE photo is off, and for me i would resize the photo slightly and then it would work.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
You guys must be really traveling down some really uneven roads. I don't think I've ever come close to dragging the rear end
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You guys must be really traveling down some really uneven roads. I don't think I've ever come close to dragging the rear end
Not at all. Very normal and flat driving. I'm in Iowa after all! This is a symptom of the design of this particular model. Most people are familiar with front drop frames on fifth wheels. But there are not very many rear drop frames, which is causing the issue. It's just life with this camper. What looks like a smallish incline to a gas station will definitely drag.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Not at all. Very normal and flat driving. I'm in Iowa after all! This is a symptom of the design of this particular model. Most people are familiar with front drop frames on fifth wheels. But there are not very many rear drop frames, which is causing the issue. It's just life with this camper. What looks like a smallish incline to a gas station will definitely drag.
Oh I didn't know they had a rear drop frame design. That doesn't sound good at all. With my 5 in increase in height after the independent suspension I believe I'm somewhere north of 20 in. I never actually measured it
Old 12-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #28
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Quote:
Oh I didn't know they had a rear drop frame design. That doesn't sound good at all. With my 5 in increase in height after the independent suspension I believe I'm somewhere north of 20 in. I never actually measured it
It’s actually quite wonderful with what it does to the layout. There is literally an upstairs bedroom. Bigger than any I’ve ever seen. But yeah, it literally a drag pulling into places.
Nard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:42 AM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
It’s actually quite wonderful with what it does to the layout. There is literally an upstairs bedroom. Bigger than any I’ve ever seen. But yeah, it literally a drag pulling into places.
Doesn't sound like a very good trade-off though
Old 12-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #30
Nard Dog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27687
Quote:
Doesn't sound like a very good trade-off though
I agree with the concern. At the end of the day, I think it's actually more of an annoyance than a real risk of major damage. Essentially at worst the frame skids a bit, but nothing should be tearing off (except the fresh water drain when can be easily replumbed to be totally safe). I have talked to others RV'er that have figured out how to live with this frame. Skid rollers, which should have been installed from the factory, should totally solve it. Skid rollers are found all over the RV world, and work quite well with tandem axles.