Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
Montana_669
Established Member

M.O.C. #669
Thermostat replacements

Are there any new developments in thermostat replacements ? We would like to replace the thermostat (Duo Therm) in our 2004 3685FL. Any suggestions on makes and models would be greatly qpprecaited.

Thanks, Dave

Montana_669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
A lot of people on this forum have replaced with the Hunter thermostat-can be bought at wal-mart for $20.Easy install.If I can do it so can you.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:20 AM   #3
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedreamer2004/

Dave, check this out.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
After going out to the listed URL, I ran out and bought a Hunter Thermostat and installed it. It is a good thing that Fulltimedreamer had instructions related to hooking up the wiring for a Montana because I was having a difficult time matching the lables. The names used on the stock thermostat were very clear but very different from the Hunter. But I went by Dreamer's color coding and bingo. If you tell me to put part A with part B, I can do that. When I look in the box an discover that there is no part B and I am supposted to guess whether part Q is equivalent to part B, then I don't guess real good on electronics. So thanks for holding my hand, Dreamer.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In case you haven't discovered it, the Hunter has a feature to limit the temperature swing before the furnace/AC come on and turn off. Keeps a much more consistent temperature. On our Hunter you hold the two temp set buttons down simultaneously for about 3 seconds. It then displays "span" in the window and a number. The number is the range of degrees you want to allow before the appliance is turned on or off. Ours is set at 1, for 1 degree. It's much more comfortable in here now than it was with the original duotherm thermostat that allowed something like a 5 degree temp swing. I think the Lux has the same feature but haven't seen it. If anyone out there is thinking of doing this, be sure you get a thermostat that is powered by batteries. The power requirements for the RV thermostat is different than for a house thermostat. Battery operation eliminates that problem. Our first set of batteries lasted 18 months. They're either AA or AAA and are accessible from the outside of the thermostat, behind a door.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Good post Steve! The one complaint I had about our furnace was the lag time between when the furnace comes on and you've hit it right on.....a Hunter Thermostat will be my next purchase as soon as we get south. Thanks!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Contau lake, I think there are two models of Hunters that will work, both run on batteries. One has a setback feature (you know what I mean, set the temp to change up or down at specified times). I'd like to have that one but they were out of those when I got ours so we don't have the setback. On frigid mornings when one of us wakes we'll change the thermostat then crawl back under the covers for half an hour or whatever until it's a bit warmer downstairs.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I changed mine to a Hunter this afernoon no problem I added the switch for the two speed fan. Works great
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ken, did you mount the fan switch in the thermostat housing or somewhere outside it?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Steve, I mounted it in the housing top right corner in the part you mount to the wall, it was tricky.It is nice to turn the fan to low speed noisy on high.I am aware in humid conditions it can freeze on low speed.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:36 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Ken. Mine is just on high because I don't have the switch but I've been toying with the idea of adding it just to have the option for low speed. Thanks for the reply.