Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #61
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scotchwhiskey

Was just told that my trailer won't pass inspection because tires are dry rotted. We bought the rig 3 years ago and it has the original Missions on it. It is a 2006 2670RL! These are trailer tires but load range E. I'm on my way to find tires now. Thanks for all the info. I think I beat Murphy on this one - learning from you folks rather than from a blowout. Thanks again folks!
Check the weight of your coach...I put LTs on mine, no problems since then.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #62
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmall130

Well, one of my Chinese Goodyear Marathons EXPLODED on the way home from the beach today, did considerable damage to the side that I'm hoping my insurance will cover. These tires are parked under a shed always, have less than 2000 miles on them and we had just stopped for a break and none of them felt unusually hot considering it was 94 outside. So you folks are saying even though Goodyear makes the junk supplied on these trailers, the tire to buy is a Goodyear G614? Any other good options? My trailer only weighs about 13,500 lbs.
Same here, Goodyear marathons USA made no troubles. Went back east and 5 blow outs from Goodyear marathons Chinese cheesy made...won't buy another Goodyear...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #63
VernMitchell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18871
Send a message via AIM to VernMitchell
I too was concerned with all the warnings I've received about my Trail Kings. So I took my questions to the largest tire chain in Michigan. I asked him if I needed new tires for my Montana. He told me that's there's nothing wrong with these tires as long as you keep them inflated and don't overload 'em. When a reputable tire dealer tells me I don't need to replace my tires, I believe him..
VernMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #64
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don't think you can go wrong with G tires but I'm not sure they are much better than E rated LTs. The Gs are still ST tires with little reserve built and rated for 75 MPH while the LTs have more reserve and are rated for 107 MPH. Big Difference. There is only a little over 10% difference in the weight carrying capacity of the tires and if you go over a little I doubt you will be pulling your camper a 107 MPH and still be within the safety margin of the LT tires.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #65
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I hope your dealer is close by when your tires do fail. We did exactly that same thing, kept our Marathons inflated and not overloaded and drove no more than 60 mph, and after the fifth tire failed, no blowouts, just tread separation and large bulges, I decided that no more Chinese tires were going on our rig. We have had USA made G614's for several years, and have not had a single issue since. We have seen way too many rigs with terrible damage from tires failing, and all from Chinese 10 ply ST tires, doesn't matter what brand. They may hold up just fine on lighter rigs, but these Montana's and other large 5th wheel rigs put way too much load on them, even though they may be within the tire rating.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #66
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Vern there has been a lot on people of this forum who thought just like you. I've been here since 2004. Tires are always the hot topic in the summer not just any tires Marathon or any Chinese ST tires. We see so many times people kept their tires inflated properly didn't drive too fast and had a blowout that took the side off their camper. Good luck you will need it. Some day you may won't to find another tire dealer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #67
jimc100
Established Member

M.O.C. #18876
New to the Montana club and just thought I'd add my two cents. I am new to owning a Montana but I have pulled a Bighorn 3055rl for ten years and have had the usual problems with the tires. I believe the exploding tires (China bombs!)are the result of many factors. First being a poor quality tire that is stressed to the max by load. Secondly speed and lack of education. No one told me that an ST tire was only rated for 65mph and I often abused that. Failure to maintain the tire.
I just purchased our new Montana and got the Goodyear G615 option as a must. The G rated tires are a $1800 retail option and in my opinion with never be included on all Montana trailers unless a "mandatory option" (the cost being passed on to the consumer). The tires are well worth the extra cost.
I ran the Michelin XPS ribbed tires on the Bighorn at 75mph plus and never had a problem so I vote for a quality LT tire if you must stay with the E load rating. The opinion about the ST having a stronger sidewall is correct, however, they can't handle heat and do come apart.
Keystone is doing nothing wrong in using the E load tires, the whole industry is allowed to and does use them there should be better education. I do understand Maxis ties have a good reputation but have no experience with them.
jimc100 is offline   Reply With Quote