Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #21
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
we keep the box that glasses come in, cut of the top of the box and store the box in the cupboard. Been this way 5 years and no broken glasses When camped the go in to a rack under the counter

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
I really like tweber's case, looks great. A thing we use is a box that's used to ship booze bottles to the stores. They are partitioned and ready to use. Any liquor store will give you them free. When we got our first one I figured when it wares out I'll just get another one, well, its been 7 years and still on the first one. I'm sure you could cut foam squares if you wanted more cushion. Fits perfect in the cabinet on the side of the fireplace. Have a great time on your outing!
DougnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #23
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
When you go to a dollar store ask or look around, we found packs of felt liners for plates at one. They are round and different sizes for dinner plates and saucers and bowls. We used to use shelf liner but these work great. We have always had stoneware dishes and glasse mugs and drinking glasses in a rear kitchen rig. Only time we broke anything was when we first got the Montana which came with out an EZ Flex suspension. As far as wine glasses how about the boxes they use to ship gifts of liquor bottles in.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #24
SouthernBelle
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13809
I just stack all of our dinnerware....the plates on each other, the saucers on each other and the bowls on each other! Just like I have in my cabinets at home. I also use drink huggers (some call them koozies) and put between the glasses (wine glasses, coffee cups, etc) so the glass never touches. It doesn't take up space because we use the huggers/koozies for our can drinks. I have never had anything break! Hope this helps!
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
WOW. No one has even admitted what we do. True confessions time! For glass wear we use plastic. We got some great acryllic wine glasses, and while they are not perfect, they are close to glass. For plates and bowls we only carry Chinette...yes, good quality paper plates! On the road in 2012 for 4 months and never had a problem with breakage!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I did have a gentlemen in a brand new SOB, fiver, follow me 500 miles last summer. He stayed at same KOA. Every glass in his trailer was damage by the rough highway. His wife thought they were packed just fine. We lost nothing, and have never broke a glass while traveling. Dropped a couple!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #27
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I remember camping in the Class C with our young kids and we did go through a lot of Chinette paper plates and bowls. For something you would need a knife on, we used our Corelle. After getting out the old Temperware and seeing how heavy a stack of it is, I may just hunt down some new Corelle.

I like the canvas storage bag for the wine glasses. I have a plastic version with card stock separators, but it doesn't look like it would last for many trips.

Thanks for all the good ideas.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #28
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

I like the canvas storage bag for the wine glasses. I have a plastic version with card stock separators, but it doesn't look like it would last for many trips.

Thanks for all the good ideas.
Here is another wine glass carrier that looks to be pretty good as well. Tim

http://www.amazon.com/Richards-Homew...ef=pd_sbs_hg_7
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #29
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Sorry folks but its going to be the Red Solo Cup for my wife and I!!! Giving the fancy stuff to the kids when we leave, less is more if you know what I mean! Paper plates, plastic spoons forks and knives!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #30
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
PLASTIC Wine glasses???? washley1?? I forbid you!!!! unless you are bringing out the Carlo Rossi or Franzia
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

WOW. No one has even admitted what we do. True confessions time! For glass wear we use plastic. We got some great acryllic wine glasses, and while they are not perfect, they are close to glass. For plates and bowls we only carry Chinette...yes, good quality paper plates! On the road in 2012 for 4 months and never had a problem with breakage!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #31
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
We absolutely agree about no plastic glasses with wine. Even boxed wine taste better if you aerate it and drink it from a properly shaped glass. We have a local wine merchant who also sell Riedel wine glasses and she has conducted many tastings where we compare the taste of wine in a standard restaurant style wine glass and then with a Riedel glass and the difference is astonishing. So much so, we have retired every wine glass in the house and replaced with Riedel glasses. My favorite in my Cabernet XL. If I pour my wife and I one glass each to the proper level in the glass for maximum flavor and aroma, the bottle is empty. Since my doctor recommends 2 glasses of red wine a day for cholesterol, it works out perfectly :-)
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Has anyone used coffee filters, new ones, between plates?

We use a wire rack and our plates and bowls travel standing on their side without a mishap.

Our couch pillows ride in cupboard with glasses, works for us.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
[quote]Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

PLASTIC Wine glasses???? washley1?? I forbid you!!!! unless you are bringing out the Carlo Rossi or Franzia [quote]Originally posted by washley1

Tell you what. I'll do my own tasting with the glasses at home vs the acrylics. No, we don't drink Ripple or Boone's Farm (not since the 70's anyway!) We have quite a collection of reds (lifes too short to waste on white!) that is constantly updated. But to date we have not had a problem with with the "unglass" products we have been using.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote