Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Toilet Sticking

We just got back from 2 weeks at Yellowstone. It was a great trip. I have one small problem I thought someone may help with. The main bath toilet is sticking open when the pedal is released. It seems like the rubber gasket is too tight. Is there any adjustment in the pedal or is it just going to be that way? I'm not taking it all the way to the dealer for such a small problem, but it is kind of a pain to lift the pedal up with my foot every time to get it to close. Plus it splashes a little water out of the bowl becasue it closes so hard. Thanks in advance.

tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I use silicone jel on our seal and it last for a time. Have used olive oil also.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Vaseline on top and bottom of seal works well.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Make sure you are letting the pedal snap back to the close position. If you are letting it return by gently returning it to normal position that may be your problem. Let it snap also allows the fill valve to seat correctly and could prevent an overflow. (Don't ask me how I know!) Jim
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Janet47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11006
I have also used 303...
Janet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
We had the same problem and tried all the recommended solutions of various lubricants and none worked. I finally got out the manual and it talked about two screws that may need adjustment. Looking at the toilet (at least on ours), on the left hand side of the base and just above the pedal is a plastic cap that covers the housing of the pedal. If you take that off you will find that there are screws in there that need to be adjusted. Surprising to us, ours were too loose. I tried various adjustments and tightening, almost as far as possible, worked. I then put the cap back on and did the snap thing (like everyone suggests)with the pedal and it worked well until recently when the screws needed to be adjusted again!
Jim n Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Thanks. I will try the adjustment the next time we use it. As far as letting it snap back, that seems impossible. When I flush it, it remains full open when I take my foot off the pedal. I have never seen one do this.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Somethings in a bind. I think I'd call Dometic. Their customer services has always been willing to talk me through issues. Jim
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I finally fixed mine. I tried Pam, Silicone rubber slide lube and the snapping it closed. The snapping it closed was not well accepted during the "wee" hours of the morning!" I totally disassembled the whole unit and found that the black shaft on pedal side of the unit (the shaft that is connected to the half round valve that closes the big hole) was over-sized. This shaft was such a tight fit and was binding and not allowing the valve to close unless it was snapped closed. After much cleaning I removed the two "O" rings and put the shaft in my drill and with a fine sand paper sanded the shaft to a smaller size. I lubed it liberally with Vaseline and now it works so very smooth and no leaks. DW is much happier and sleeps better too.

This was posted in Sept 09 under "Toilet stopper not stopping" along with many other solutions to the problem.

Now here it is July 2012 and still working without a hitch.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
Thanks for that suggestion. It will be a while before I have time to try to fix mine but I will post the results when I do. I think I will try some lube first and go from there. I don't know how much difference there is but ours is the tall porcelain model with the foot pedal on the right side. I do have the second 1/2 bath that is working properly so I can compare the two. It worked right the first two trips then started acting up on the last one.