Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are glad you have an extended warranty when...

...you have two waste tanks with splits in them. They have to be replaced. When one gets to be seventy two, one might decide to let others do those repairs. $100 deductible seems cheap. The galley tank has a split near the seam at the top of the tank. The black water tank has a crack at the top on one corner.

The cracks in both tanks are at the very top of the tank side at the seam, so only leaks when the tank is allowed to get very full. My dealer could not find a leak in October. I knew one was there or maybe two. Sure enough this mobile RV repairman found them.

While underneath, I also found a loose hydraulic line connection leaking on my main slide. It was fixed simply by tightening. It was really loose. This was potentially a big problem nipped in the bud.

Another problem was that I couldn't get the black tank to empty properly. I was afraid that the valve had gone bad. On the advice of a repair tech, I added a double dose of an enzyme akin to RidX to the tank, used my LevelUp system to rock the the tank back and forth about three times and waited about 12 hours. Even though I wash the tank on every dump, evidently I had a build up of solids in the tank large enough to create a semi-blockage. In any case, on dumping and washing after the wait, all broke up and the tank cleared.

I wanted a way to inspect the grey and black tank valves without dropping the belly pan, so I cut an access door in the basement floor directly over the valves. Now I can easily get to them from the top should repairs or change out become necessary.

Well that's my story. All we do now is wait for the tanks to be shipped and installed. We can still use the current tanks until the new ones come, but dump about every three days to prevent leaks.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I'm with you, Stiles. Glad I have an EW. Tough work for a dude my age. I hope very thing goes well for you.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We are also glad. Our refrigerator in our 2011 just quit and it seems it seems to be a $2,000 or so fix. I have an appointment at a Norcold repair center for next tuesday after we return from the National Spring rally.

In the mean time we are putting a 10# block of ice in each of the bottom veg draws and using it as an ice box just like in the old days.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At my age peace of mind is where I want to be, so good insurance, G614's and other preventive measures of that type are considered a necessity. Glad you found the problems and are having them fixed at reasonable cost. The access door is a great idea also, Thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good thinkin' on the "ice box". When you are RVing, yo just have to find a way.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks Dick. When I get it finished, I will take a picture or two to post.

This is my first claim on the extended warranty for this rig. On my last rig, the EW paid for itself twice over and on this one we will at least break even.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
While the tank rinsers are a good idea, we have observed over two units that they do not do a perfect job of rinsing the tanks (on our previous unit I installed a rinser in the grey tank also). On the road, I do not like to carry a lot of waste water, but a few gallons with some type of tank cleanser to slosh around as we go down the road has worked well in the past (for us) to really do a good job of cleaning the tanks. Like others, we do like the peace of mind having someone else ready to pick up the tab if something serious should break...our vote is yes for a warranty.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
EW is paying for a new Dometic cooling unit as we speak.It has paid for two holding tanks and a hydraulic line. The cooling unit was more than the cost of the 7 year EW..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
So we took the Monty into the local Norcal service center and told him about the problems we were haveing.

He called this morning and said the fridge works just fine. He plugged it in an it worked just fine on electric so he tried it on propane and if also worked fine.

I told him I wanted to leave it for few more days to make sure and he said OK.

I am going to pick it up Friday pm and we will see.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
A leading consumer group says extended warranties are usually a bad investment for the owner...they obviously are not familiar with RVs. They only EW we have is for the RV.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
That is so frustrating isn't it?! Did they give you any idea of what might have happened? Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would like to see the break down on the use of Extended warranties on Rv's.We have used ours 4 times in 6 years.The latest on our fridge cost to repair 559.60. Cost to me 50.00.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Dennis when I asked how come? he said maybe just a bubble and the bouncing down the road made it go away. He did suggest that we run all the appliances on propane once a month to fry any spiders.

Told me that if it happens again to just wait a day or so of traveling and retry.

Who knows.