Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Travel Planning software

I'm looking for some travel planning software with maps and places and items of interest. Anyone have good suggestions on programs that work for you with maps and things of interest? Thanks!

Montana 3380RL and a truck. Avid quilter, reader, traveler and Golden Retriever dog mom to Murphy.

Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use DeLorme's Street Atlas 2004 on a laptop with their Earthmate GPS. I like this because I like the larger screen with attendant detail plus it updates my location once per second. As for laptop vs smaller gps screen, I think that comes down to personal preference.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Thanks so much for the ideas and suggestions! Love the forum...
Old 06-18-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
It just never ceases to amaze us what we learn from the MOC website. We had no idea about the type of software being described existed. Guess we don't get around much! We are on our way to our local office supply to see if they have such. Thanks to all for the info.
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Cehvy3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Shoot, #29 fans, we've not even begun to describe the uses. I use it to find Walmarts and plot routes to them, find the park we're going to and let the gps guide right into it, find most any kind of store, etc. You'd be amazed at what you can do. If I don't want to actually use the gps to get to walmart I can either print out the directions or just write them down.

One use also is sometimes when we go out exploring backroads we've been known to end up in some remote areas, sometimes even on 4wd routes. So on those outings I just throw the laptop case in the backseat, just in case. If we get lost, hookup the gps and in a couple of minutes it shows me exactly where we are (within a few feet) and then I can let it show me how to get home. It's a comfort just knowing it's there if I need it. Some of those backroads can really get you turned around.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Wow sreigle,
We are now REALLY impressed. We must have been living under a rock these past few years. We had no idea there were such great new products out there in the techie world. We will definitely have to look into those. We're usually stuck following the AAA maps and our guidebooks.
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:56 AM   #7
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
The DeLorme program allows you to program in your MPG and tank capacity then will mark fuel stops. Same thing as to whether you want to cover so many miles a day or so many miles. One can also tell it about your prferences as to businesses or POI's and it will mark them for you. We've made a couple trips with ours and activated the voice feature on it. Talks to you as you drive along.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There's also a 'radar' feature that I haven't yet tried out. Has anyone tried this? It's premise is that when on the road you can decide to let it locate for you, say, a walmart or a diesel station (not all these are in there), within, say, x miles of your route and when it finds one as you are driving along it will alert you and show you the route to get there. It's a super premise but I haven't yet learned how to actually use it.

I also downloaded a couple of "draw" files that I just put in the proper folder, then tell Street Atlas to include them. One marks the walmarts and the other the flying j's. Unfortunately these were designed for an earlier SA version so they're not precise as to location. But they do clue me there's a flying j in the area so i can do a quick search to find it. I found these by doing a google search on something like 'street atlas draw file'. i cna email what I have to anyone who wants them (email me). They're not real big files.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #9
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
OK, now you all have me intrigued! Never thought much about the GPS part, Gyro will never have to stop and ask directions...(Yeah like that ever happened!) Thanks much for all the ideas, now if we can only get somewhere Outside to use this information...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When I bought the GPS Vicki gave me that "do we ***realllly*** need this look" that she does so well. But now she's a believer. I've used it so much in our travels that I feel nekkid without it. I think I'm pretty good at reading and following a map but it's nice not to have to keep checking the map to make sure I didn't miss a turn. And it's nice to have a voice tell me I should turn right on highway 99 in 1.4 miles. If your laptop has a microphone you can train it to respond to your voice questions. Like, you could say "next turn" and it will say "turn left on State Street in 25.9 miles, thirty six minutes and 12 seconds." Pretty slick software. I've tried several but for my use SA2004 is tops. Others will prefer other software, naturally.

Bob mentioned having it tell you fuel stops. You also can tell it you want to travel x miles or x hours per day, plus or minus however many miles, and it will show you where those locations are on the map. From that I go to my passport america, trailer life, and woodalls directories to find rv parks in the area. Also can search for them on street atlas but it doesn't give you specifics, just location. So when I find a cg I want to stop at I search for it on SA and put a "end-of-day stop" at that location. The gps then takes us right to the park.

One note, in ALL of these mapping software, the maps come from government entites. So they are no more accurate than your paper map. But that's only occasionally been a problem, like it would be with a paper map. Usually that's where city streets have changed.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:21 AM   #11
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Sorry everyone to bring this old topic back up but I'm now looking into mapping software and would like to use my PC with a GPS. I've looked at both the Delorme and Microsoft products and from what I can see the Delorme doesn't include Canadian road maps whereas the Microsoft Streets and Trips does.

First, is this correct???
Second, do you folks have an inverter in your truck so you can keep the laptop charged?? If so what wattage unit did you get? It looks to me like the laptop draws about 4 amps which would mean 700 watts if I calcualte correctly.

Thanks....
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I just bought a Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS from Office Max - $49 after rebates !!! I just used it the first time this morning. VERY impressive and accurate - I had the "leave a trail" turned on and it even showed a squiggly where I backed out of the driveway. I have an F-250 - when the laptop's open, the keyboard fits under the console and the screen is full up (15") with the GPS module on the dash !! I just used the computer battery this morning, but I have a couple of cigarette lighter inverters (Coleman and Fellowes) that I picked up somewhere on sale - I think one's 70W and the other 75W.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
I also use Streets and trips. Do you know it has roads in north America, but it also has maps of the rest of the world. I also use Trailer life CD finder which is also GPS comatable. Another thing I like about streets and trips is that you can plot anything in the world if given the Lat/Long. I kept track of all the hurricaines this summer by plotting them on a map.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chester

Sorry everyone to bring this old topic back up but I'm now looking into mapping software and would like to use my PC with a GPS. I've looked at both the Delorme and Microsoft products and from what I can see the Delorme doesn't include Canadian road maps whereas the Microsoft Streets and Trips does.

First, is this correct???
Second, do you folks have an inverter in your truck so you can keep the laptop charged?? If so what wattage unit did you get? It looks to me like the laptop draws about 4 amps which would mean 700 watts if I calcualte correctly.

Thanks....
Hello Chester,

Yes, Strets & Trips does inclued Canadian Maps. I'm not sure about Delorme, but some mapping programs require you to buy disks for different areas.

You might find this website intersting, although it is directed towards truckers, it has a lot of information about S&T: www.ultimateroute.com.

There is version of S&T 2005 that includes a GPS receiver. It sounds like a good deal. Also the new version operates in real time, our 2002 version only updates at 15 sec intervals which can be too slow in some circumstances.

We wouldn't leave home without our GPS, it is amazing technology and the MS S&T is a very economical way to use it if you already own a laptop.

Note to Steve Riegle: I think I told you ultimatetrip.com, hate to think what that site is about, but it should be ultimateroute

We use a 175 watt Canadian Tire inverter ($39) and it powers our Dell laptop just fine. The power supply is rated for at 1.5 amps, but I don't think it really draws that much power normally.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:38 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Street Atlas 2004 has just the major roads in Canada from what I've seen. I just bought Streets and Trips 2005 to check it out and decide which I like best.

I use a 75watt inverter and plug the laptop into it while we're on the road. I've been using it more than two years without problem. I think I paid around twenty bucks at Radio Shack. The laptop is not an old one, only about two years old.

John, yes you did but I just updated my notes (thanks). Won't be able to check it out or really try S&T until we get back "home" the end of the week or early next week.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #16
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I to just purchased a garmin "streetpilot 111"I love this little baby.I am terrible with directions(just ask my wife)with this device I can input where i`am going,push a button to "route it" And no more worrying about getting lost.It even has voice promps letting you know when the next turn is.Nice little screen that can be seen in daylight as well as night time.And if you miss a exit or make a wrong turn it will reroute you and you back on track.I use to use map quest and carry a ton of paper maps.Their history now with this thing.And when you reacg were ever you are going a womens voice(nice touch) lets you know that you have arrived at you destanation and even tells you what side of the street its on.

If you get lost with this thing at your side.You shouldn`t be behind the wheel(lol)
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
If you really get into GPS, the Garmin City Select will allow you to have all of the map detail and waypoints on a small handheld GPS like the 60C. I have the bean bag mount and set it on the dash of my truck. As I come to a turn, it automatically zooms into the turn, showing, even on a clover leaf, which way to turn, what side of the road the exit is on, etc. I also have Streets and Trips and DeLorme products. Of course, the Street Pilots have a lot of that built in, but I like the 60C because I also use it for hunting and fishing and carrying that 12V battery around gets heavy. (Just kidding).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:43 AM   #18
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Okay. I guess that my bank account will soon be taking another hit! I'm convinced. Like Harley I have been a map freaky for years and the stacks of maps here will attest to that. Anyone need a 25 yr. old map of Newark Valley NY?? TIME TO CLEAN OUT THE STICK HOUSE!! Appreciate the good words--will just have to figure which will work best for us.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 03:49 AM   #19
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Thanks for all of the input folks. I went out last night and bought the Streets and Trips 2005 with GPS. Over the next few days I will load it and give it a try.

For those Canadians looking for this product both Futureshop and Best Buy have them BUT I found it last night in the Burlington Costco store for $30 less than the other places.

Will let everyone know how it works for me.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:23 AM   #20
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I have a question for those users of streets and trips. I understood that this program would give you voice prompts. I just set mine up and took it for its first "test ride". No voice prompts. Maybe I was confusing this feature with the Delorme product!!

Was I wrong to expect voice prompts???