Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Heater recommendation for 30-amp site

We are living in an older KOA park in Dillon, Montana, where there's only one 30-amp connection per site. When we lived in our rig through a bitterly cold winter 4 years ago (30 to 40 below temperatures fairly regularly), we also had a 50-amp connection where we were parked on our land. Now we're living with a "turn off this if you're going to turn on that" situation because of the 30-amp connection.

It's cold--we've already seen several 9 - 16 degree nights--and we need a bit of extra heat for our living area. (Yes, the trailer is already skirted.) We've seen a few space heaters that can be run on low, using slightly fewer than 15 amps, but we're wondering if we're missing some heaters somewhere that would work better for us than others. And, should we be looking at the oil-filled radiator heaters rather than the heaters with fans? We do have a fireplace that puts out a tiny bit of heat, but it also eats up the amps without much of a return.

After being so comfortable in our trailer through a Montana winter 4 years ago when we had a reliable 50-amp hookup, living this winter on a 30-amp circuit is going to be more of a challenge. If you have a recommendation for a heater that might work better for us than what we've seen so far, we'd sure like to have your opinion.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Hi Carolyn. You may have already considered this item.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/25774
This might help if you don't have a neighbor using the 30amp outlet for the next site and the campground allows it. You would have 60amps to power extra heaters.
We also use an electric mattress pad heater. When the temperature drops at night and the heaters can't keep up, the pad heater only takes 150 watts and that's with both controls on high which you would never need. Most portable electric space heaters draw 1500 watts on high. We also have a small 700 watt oil filled heater for the bedroom if needed. The only sound it makes is the relay clicking on and off. Barely noticeable.
I set the furnace quite low as a backup in case power goes out during the night and turn it up in the morning to warm things up.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would recommend plugging a heavy duty extension cord into the pedestal 15 amp receptacle and use it for an extra 15 amp heater. This would be in addition to the 30 amp draw on the main trailer.

With electric heat you need the amps for the BTU heat. The nice thing about the oil fired is once it is warm it does hold the heat a little longer.
If you need more heat the other option is the catalytic heaters that run off propane but then you have the carbon monoxide issue.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carolyn have you considered purchasing one of the EdenPure heaters? Our unit is a 30 amp unit and we have to watch what we use all the time. The heaters normally sell for about $372. We have one in out basement of the stick and use it when it gets chilly down there. It uses infrared heating instead of trying to heat the air itself.. If Wayne is an American Legion member and he gets their magazine, they have an ad for the EdenPure in it and they only want $197 for them. I would recommend this heater over any other unit for use of electricity and heating the unit. We really like ours and will be purchasing a couple more and one will go into the Monte for future use!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wayne and Carolyn. Have you ever considered Snow-birding? Whatever bargain price you get for that KOA site, I think you'll still save some money by moving south (except for the fuel prices to get there) since you are in a trailer and are somewhat mobile.

I'm always impressed by you northerners who survive in the cold for that long. You might laugh at us southerners who still stay south in the summertime, but I think that's easier to tolerate and get around in than the cold and the snow.

I've heard EdenPures are impressive technology and a trailer might need as many as two but allegedly they put out better heat at less power. Unfortunately, I've also heard that this was over exaggerated and some owners have had bad luck with them. I'd be more inclined to go by Rondo's testimony but for me the price is high (I like the $200 price a lot more but I am not American Legion and it's still cheaper for me to stay in the southern states (from California to Florida is what I mean).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Rondo. I'm glad you enjoy the benefits of the Eden pure heater but I don't think it produces any more heat than most other portable electric heaters. The gentleman in the following you-tube video ran his own tests and I'm sure others have as well, including some consumer organizations.
I'm only mentioning this because of their cost. Please don't take offense. My background is electrical and electronics so I tend be skeptical of some claims made by companies regarding their products.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=N8A3vD7T3-I

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
drsmart, thanks for the link. That was some of the doubt I've seen that put doubt into an EdenPure which is why the concern is only on the price for me. But the advantage of this heater over the cheaper one that was compared in the video is the larger size and ability to be safer because of it. I have tipped over or burned out the smaller heaters several times or nearly burned myself on them many times just trying to move it around. But is it worth the high price? I am also familiar with a failing smaller heater/fan (we've had two fail) but I don't know what the long term reliability would be for an EdenPure. I also like the remote feature (I wouldn't buy the smaller EdenPure without the remote since it's just as overpriced for what you get.)

It's why I haven't gone out and gotten one yet. DW really wants me to look into something, because I must agree with her that the price of propane makes an electric solution to help heat the rig viable, but not at that initial price. In the meantime we stay home or RV in warmer climates.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks for all the suggestions, friends. We do have a neighbor using his 30-amp pedestal, so using a 50-amp box adapter isn't a viable option for us. We'd already thought about using the 15-amp outlet with a heavy-duty extension cord to power a heater, but that's probably going to have to power a heater under the rig, not in it. We don't want to invest in an EdenPur heater; this is the last winter we'll be living in ice and snow (more news about that move in another forum, soon to follow). We like the idea of the 700 watt oil-filled heater. We haven't seen one yet, but I'm sure with a few minutes of internet research, we'll locate one.

Life would be so much easier if we just had a 50-amp connection, but there's no use wishing for it because it's out of the question here. I just can't believe we never got cold 4 years ago with those sub-zero temps, yet we're already fighting the cold in what we consider moderately low temperatures right now!

Carolyn
Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A suggestion, supplement your electric heat with Propane. I researched the heaters quite throughly, this is what I went to.
Many people use them when they are 'Off grid' and survive to tell the tale. They are close to 100% efficient, where as the propane heaters we have, let around 60% of the propane waste, that is, our stock heaters are only 40% efficient. (This is not 'Gospel' but in the ballpark.)
All the research I have done boils down to having a small ampount of fresh air up high, maybe a window open a crack, will keep condensation to a minimum, and provide all the necessary fresh air.

I will add that unless you keep the furnace going, the pipes in the basement will freeze when below freezing, this is just the way these trailers are built. But above 32, you can use other means of heating.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Amazon has a 700w oil filled heater: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001XW...9932649&sr=8-1
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I am with Ozz Propane is the way to go, the local dealer will delivery you a large tank or tanks
In those temps I would head South before I would use Electric
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have three of the oil filled units at the stick house. They all have three setting, 500, 1000, and 1500 watts. Used one of them in our previous TT, but purchased a mica heater for the Monty, has a 750 and 1500 watt setting. We had it going last night while in Bingo Country (hills of West Virginia) kept the Monty in the mid-sixties while the outside temp dropped to the low 30s and that nasty white stuff came down from the sky.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree with Ozz to. I have one of the Mr Buddy heaters. I think it has 3 settings 4, 8, and 16000 BTUs. I have it on a quick disconnect so I can unhook it when it is not in use. Works great.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you are insistent on an electric heater, I can give you our experiences. We have both an oil-filled radiator type heater and a ceramic type disc heater (Pelonis Clone). Based on our usage of both, we prefer the ceramic heater since we can direct it to the area we need at that time. The oil-filled heater is most likely more energy efficient, but again, being able to direct the heat was the deciding factor for us. No recommendations, just practical experience.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We're going heater-shopping this weekend in Missoula, so by Monday we should be staying warmer in our rig. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and for sharing your personal experiences with various types of units. I think, because of our 2 Australian shepherds and 1 long-haired cat, we'll stay away from the propane heaters. I'm not crazy about using space heaters in the first place, and thinking about those animals wandering around a heater makes me nervous. Whatever we get, we'll have a chance to try it out in the hotel before we leave town--at least that way we can hear what, if any, noise the heater makes and see how much warmth it puts out on a low setting. Of course, the warmth test won't be very scientific, since the hotel room will be warm anyway.

If only we had a 50-amp site . . .
Carolyn
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Carolyn,you might try one of these,Terry and I have used this heater for over 3 years and just love it!
Having two Labs we we're concerned about safety and this heat fit our needs. You can tip it over,touch the grill and not feel heat,yet it keeps the room at the temp. we set it at.
3 years ago we paid 70.00 for it and I just bought another one today at Costco's for 39.00. We just love this heater!
Jack
http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Jack, Missoula does have a Costco, so that will be the first place we stop. I hope the heater is there so that we can look at it. What a savings, if it is there!

Carolyn