Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
converter confusion?

At the seasonal site the DC lights keep alternating between dim and bright. The battery is fully charged, but when I removed the positive battery cable and tested from the negative battery pole to the detached positive cable, I get no reading. I had the park electrician check the pole and it was OK. He said it sounds like a bad converter but he doesn't deal with the RVs. I use a surge guard. I'm only getting about 115 volts to the trailer. We only have 30 amp service. I have the 50 amp surge guard with a 50 to 30 reducer. If the converter is dead, why is the battery fully charged?

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ray,
My first reaction is the DC lights go bright when the converter is Charging the battery.
My second thought is that your converter may be failing. When you had the positive led off the battery does the lights still work?
If you have the IOTA converter I strongly suggest getting their Q4 controller if it will work with your converter. The Q4 uses a four wire phone type plug.
Hope this helps.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I had the same issues last year and as John K. posted the Q4 solved the problem. It just plugs in like a land line. Good luck.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
John, the DC lights went out as soon as I took the positive cable off. Thanks for replies. PS. You and Ann are still on our prayer list. May God be with you, Ray
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ray,
Check the converter, there should be two 30 amp fuses on the converter. Make sure on or both are not blown. Ohm them out don't just look at them. Make sure the 110 break for the convert is not tripped.
If it is the converter, I have an Iota 55Amp that was checked out by IOTA and declared functional. Let me know.

Thank you so much for your support and prayers.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
John, the fuses are good, the breaker set ok. I just discovered that the converter is on the same 15 amp breaker as my rear lounge, entertainment ctr etc. which I've tripped several times with the fireplace. I just rerouted the fireplace to the Mic outlet. I'm leaving on a 2 week trip tomorrow, 3 days at Pinchpond exit 266 Pa Pike, the on to S. MD for 12 days. I'm stopping at my dealer 1st think in AM and hope he can help me. If not, I'll be in touch. I am not capable of installing a converter. Its a rats nest in there, no room to get to anything. It took an hour to get the fuses out and back in. I could get a mobile service in Lititz to do it probably. Thanks, Ray
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Ray,

Where you going in S. MD?
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
My son lives in Lusby Md, near Solomons. I usually stay at Take it Easy in Callaway or Duncans in Lothian. Callaway is closer so I'll probably go there.