Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Another Credit Card Scam -

I was reading about cashiers ringing up the sales and when the receipt was read someone noticed "cash back $40.00". A check with
snopes.com found that cashiers had no control over this part of the credit card process and the claim was considered false. This brought
to mind a situation I went through a few years ago.
We pulled into a Shell station on the Garden State Parkway in New
Jersey and filled up our Motorhome and I paid with a Shell Credit Card. The attendant stated that the outside unit for the credit card was not working and he had to use the unit in the gas station. A short time later he came back handed me the card with the receipt and we left...A few months later I notice gas purchases in N.J. on our bill. I checked the bills from the months before and found other purchases. To make a long story short the attendant went inside and ran off a bunch of blank credit card receipts using my credit card and proceeded to pay for gas for himself or his friends in the amount of $300. I immediately called the credit card company and explained the problem. They said they would make good the amount and that I should call the local police to report the theft...I had to inform them that since they have made good on the loss they were now the victims and they would have to be the ones making the complaint.
Bottom Line to this story - Do Not Let Your Credit Card Out Of Your Sight!.
If a gas station attendant/or anyone else gave that excuse I would walk with them and watch them every second that had my card. I hate to admit it (being a retired police sergeant and all) but this did happen to me and I should have known better..I let my guard down and almost paid dearly for it. I know the comments will be forth coming (and I can hardly wait) but if it saves just one of you from getting ripped off it will be worth the embarrasement.

Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sky,
All of us are targets at one time or another. LEOs are just as likely to be subject to scams as the next fellow. Glad you caught it and hope it saves someone else by your sharing. Thank you. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Thanks for the heads up. But while I am sitting here thinking about it, heres a scenario that we all do all the time. We go into a restaurant pay for our meals with a CC or Debit card and we give the waitress or waiter our card as they walk away and go pay the bill.

Guess we need to keep a good eye on this. But now just thinking, whats to say they don't do the same thing as the guy at the gas station that run off a bunch of slips. Hmmmmmmmm, makes one want to think more about cash huh?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sky,
Thanks for the reminder. I'm glad that we are only liable for the first $50 of phony credit.

The number one identity theft is a clerk who sells information they have collected to the criminals who are going to use the information. All they need is the numbers and security number to do business over the Internet. We are in a society of credit cards now. It is my basic payment method. When I take my wallet out to pay my bill, I leave the wallet in front of me on the counter or table, or I hold it in my hand, until the credit card is returned. When it is returned I check the name and number on the card. This makes sure that I have gotten the card back, and checking the information insures I got the right card back.

My biggest problem is at truck stops where I have to leave my credit card at the counter to fuel up. There's nothing I can do about it. I used to hate "Pilot" because they ask you ahead of time how much fuel you will be purchasing and then run you credit card. You can only fill to that amount, but if you are under, you go back in and get another receipt for the correct amount. At least in this case you don't have to leave your CC at the counter.

Everyone stay safe!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I think the one that get to me is when I go to fuel up they want me to leave my card with the clerk "Not So". Had a clerk in tenn ask if I did not trust him I told him it was not a matter of trust I just don't leave a card. I will leave my DL he wanted to argue on about it so I said let me show you a trick. walked to truck and left. DW said I get upset to easy hey he still has his 110$ worth of DF.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote