Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Inverters -- Pure Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave

Hi all,

I am looking into going with some solar panels on my rig and will start small on the panel side. I do want to get an inverter to cover all my needs now, however. I figure about a 2000w inverter. I have been researching this some and find that the pure sine wave is the best, but also the most expensive.

My question is this, what drawbacks or problems have any of you had with a modified sine wave inverter?

eastridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Most high-tech electronics do not handle modified sine wave inverters well, IE., TV's in the last 7 years, DVRs, DVD players, computers, and microwave ovens to name a few. Modified sine wave work fine for inductive-type loads (motors, transformers, etc.) such as saws, drill, blenders, toasters, phone chargers, etc.

A modified sine wave inverter is fine for construction, but for RVs your AC appliances will last longer on pure sine wave. If you simply want to plug in the trailer to run the inverter (for DC operated stuff) and charge the batteries you will be fine with the less expensive mofied sine wave.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Bill,
My first consideration would be how much will you use your solar system and what do you want it to do.
If you plan to phase in a system I would go with the pure sine wave inverter and select an inverter/charger with the pass through for park power.
Probably most of us have been where you are trying to sort out the best way to go for a system. A system that will serve you well and for a trouble free experience will be costly.
There are many high wattage inverters out there that are not designed for endurance and the price will reflect that.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Thanks for the advice, I am not sure yet how much we will use it. We do like power at the campsite but think it would be nice for an occasional boondocking and for overnight stays were the generator is not practical. I am really looking right now for a way to start small, inexpensively, easily and have the ability to expand if we like boondocking more than campgrounds.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eastridges

I am really looking right now for a way to start small, inexpensively, easily and have the ability to expand if we like boondocking more than campgrounds.
A significant number of the folks boondocking at Quartzsite were using Modified Sine Wave (MSW) inverters. One of the most popular is Harbor Freight's 1500 or 2000 watt models. They run everything from TVs to computers (laptops with batteries are fine as they really run on DC current), DVRs, DVD players, Routers, Cell Phone Amplifiers, DirectTV or Dish boxes, etc. Some desktop computers, laser printers, and battery chargers will not work with MSW inverters. For those, you have to use real 110V power or step up to the (much) more expensive pure sine wave inverters.

We are like you, we wanted to try it out with an inexpensive solution. Six years later we are still using the same Harbor Freight inverter (and two smaller inverters for specialized functions) when boondocking. And we boondock two to three months every year.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
The modified sine wave inverters are not so cheap if they cause premature failure of other electrical equipment.
I agree laptops and other devices with power supplies that go back to DC, it won't hurt them. But DVD, TV, Satellite box, Microwave, Fridge, etc... may run for a while but with a shorter overall life.
IMHO
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The modified sine wave inverters work fairly well with a lot of the older versions of electronic equipment. But for the best operation, the pure sine wave inverters are worth the money. We carry one desktop computer, two laptops, one scanner, three printers, satellite receiver, two TVs, as well as the normal electric appliances. We just didn't want to take a chance of failure by using a modified sine wave inverter. I'm not saying they are not good, just that we didn't want to get caught short. My wife has created and maintains nine websites and must have access to all the equipment when she needs it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
eastridges
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9276
Thanks for all the good information and insight. There are alot of pros and cons. A question I will send out is this. Has anyone personally had equipment or appliance breakdowns or shortened life expectancy of those due to the use of a modified sine wave. Just curious.

I also have a question for Carl n Susan. Can you tell me more specifics about your system i.e. wattage of your solar cells, number of batteries and what kind, how you have it connected to your rv, and if it is enough power for your needs. What do you use your system for and do you find yourself rationing yourself.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Bill: I responded to your e-mail with the answers of what we do and use. If you have any questions, let me know.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I have a Sunforce 11260 2500-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. You can get it at Northern Tool & Equipment or Amazon for $599.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote