Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Bdedens

M.O.C. #9124
Send a message via MSN to Bdedens
Need to get two RG 6 cables inside

We just purchased a 09 Montana 3400 RL. We would like to use our HD/DVR directv reciever and have access to buy the
needed dish. MY problem is that our system needs two cables. I really dont want to use the cable feed for the tv ant/cable hook up as I am afraid of two many connections at the freq that Directv uses from the dish. There is a phone plug in the middle of the slide where the tv and computer desk is. Has anyone changed out the plate and put in two f fittings so one can connect the dish to the receiver? There is a camper in our rv park that has run the cables in through the floor of the slide where the TV/desk is and I was wondering if that was the easiest way to get the signal to the receiver. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bdedens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,

Actually if you pull the fireplace (if you have that option), there is a huge cavity behind the cabinet wall that will give you full access to the entertainment area above the TV. I would just run the cable jack right out the floor there in a weather tight box. That way no unsightly holes out the side and no drilling into that beautiful new rig.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
This is related to what we did on our late 2006 Montana 3400RL. We replaced the phone jack in the Entertainment Center with an RG connector and then ran the cable inside along the front of the desk over to cavity behind the TV and cut a 2 1/2" round hole in that wall. Then we ran the cable up through the hole in the shelf up to the Stereo/DVD/DTV HD receiver area. But we do use the normal cable connection in the convenience center for the HD Direct TV dish cable connection. We did it to get a second TV signal source which for us is the RV Resort's cable signal for local channels. We replaced the original OEM analog TV with a Sony 32" HDTV which nicely fills the opening for the old 27" Analog TV. We cover any hole drilled with the round plastic cable covers so things still look tidy. But the computer equipment and printer on the desk hide the holes, cable and covers anyway. We have had no noticeable degradation of HD TV reception using the convenience center cable connection for the HD Direct TV Dish cable connection. Hope this helps.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
You could just run with the one original cable. DirecTV & DishNet combine the 2 & 3 LNBs to one cable at the antenna. Then at the HD/DVR Receiver they split the one cable to two separate inputs to the HD/DVR Receiver. These are special Satellite TV combiners and splitters. I ran a 2nd cable, but only use one.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don is right! Our Dish DVR came with a special splitter for running the dual receiver on just one incoming cable. It's more than just a standard splitter. I forgot about that.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When we got our new Big Sky I had the same problem. But I also had to get the Hughes cables inside also. My solution is shown in this slide show. Slide Show I drilled 1/8 inch pilot holes from the inside then the larger 1/2 inch holes from the outside. I used butyl tape to seal them to the side... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave your the man, and right on point. Thats what I had to do with the Cambridge 358. As you know I also used the Hughes net at the time and had to have two cables going to the Modem. And the OEM wiring couldn't handle the needed RG 6 cables. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Here is what I did in our rig.....running the cable up behind the fireplace like brad suggested.

[IMGhttp://i41.tinypic.com/2lld5ro.jpg[/IMG]
Bill and Lisa your picture is much too large. Please resize it to comply with MOC guidelines. Thank you, RVWheels

Sorry, hopefully this is better

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
well editing the last post didn't work so let me try a new post

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote