Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Lurching main slide?

As I was picking leaves of of the top of the slides on our Montana prior to returning home a couple days ago I noticed the following. The edge of the slide roof is attached to the inside of the raised face plate of the slide exterior wall with some kind of flashing that seems to be a wide plastic tape that is stuck to the slide roofing material for the length of the slide. All of a sudden I notice that this tape is being rolled away from the roofing in places. So far it is just an inch or so here and there. But it does not appear to be a situation that can be ignored. Soon it will permit leackage down the outer wall of the slide.

Now that I have noticed this problem it seems to explain the lurch that occurs when the main slide is pulled in just before it is totally in place. It seems like the top of the slide, when it is almost all the way in, will momentarily stop as the deck continues to move into final position. This causes the floor of the slide to raise up and drop into final poition. Earlier I thought that this was normal and part of the level floor mechanism going into final tralvel position. Now I think that the gasket at the top of the slide wall opening is catching the slide flashing tape I described and holding it momentarily at the end of the closing operation and then each time peeling the tape off a little more until it lets go and the slide floor thumps into position. Would appreciate any other discusion, solutions, maintenance methods on this.

Random Line
Jim and Fredrica Kastner Pierre, SD

2002 F350 7.3 PSD,
2003 Montana, 3255RL, LOBO, 59+ lb Keeshond lap dog

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote