Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Furnace Air Flow?

Pretty cool this moring and had the furnace on. The furnace has 3 floor vents in the living area, 1 in the bedroom, and 1 in the stool room. The vents in the bedroom and stool room blow a strong flow of warm air. The 3 in the living area have a very weak flow of air. Normal? Or do I have a problem somewhere?
Don't remember it being that way last year, but only used the furnace a time or two and am not sure.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
On our 3000rk the first vent out of the furnace in the front room has a baffle in the duct so that all the furnace air does not come out of register one leaving nothing for the next two registers on that duct run. You can see the baffle by using a mirror in the duct and pointing a flash light towards the furnace. I have tried bending that baffle to redistribute the air flow. A long stiff wire with a hook on the end will allow you to bend the baffle. Not a lot of success but maybe a little. Seems too much bend cuts the register to nothing and too little bend cuts the airflow to the back registers to virtually nothing. I guess it was best when left in the original factory position.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
You can replace the registers with ones with a lever control to control the air flow.The one closet to the furnace which is the bedroom in my case gets to hot when using the heat.I basically close the register in the bedroom to force the heat to the other register's registers can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot they are a standard size.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have 1 in the bedroom (closest to the furnace), 1 in the stool room, 1 in the living room and 2 in the kitchen. The register with the least amount of flow is the one in the living room. The bedroom register and the 2 in the kitchen blast out the hot air. We are going to be adding a register that allows us to control the flow to the bedroom. It just gets so darn hot up there. I think what you are experiencing is normal, annoying, but normal.
T
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I am having a similar problem with the air flow...its not very strong..but at least its the same at all registers...I noticed that there is a very large expandable duct that goes into the basement to heat the waste tanks...I was wondering if I should try and adapt a baffle of sorts for that duct(similar to a wood stove flue baffle) and open it only if needed...I also seem to have very little heat in the air...seems to me that it should be much hotter air......Havent seen that particular problem listed yet..anyone have this problem or knowledge of it??
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tammy, maybe it's not the register that is making it hot up there in the bedroom!!??!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wait! The call it "Icehouse!"

Bill,
My 3400RL does the same thing. Register in the BR blows HOT and the LR KT blow warm. I'm going to pick up one of the registers with a closing baffle and put it in the BR. I need to cool DW down some anyhow!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wayne, I was also going to get an adjustable register for the bedroom and then had second thoughts. In our 3650RK, the bedroom register is only 4 feet from the furnace and that duct is fed by a 3" flexible tube. The rest of the RV is fed by a 2" tube(go Keystone!). I was concerned (and actually read on this forum somewhere) that blocking (or reducing) the beadroom register would create such back pressure as to damage the flexible ducting, causing it to separate or split. So instead of wasting the heat, I drilled multiple 1/8 inch holes in the bottom of the metal duct (this is also the TOP of the basement). For me, this decreased the bedroom temp some and raised the basement temp by about 15 degrees. This also helps keep my convenience panel from freezing when temps drop. We still have a lot of heat in the bedroom (read: furnace heat), so I will be drilling more holes in the duct to heat the basement. The "other" bedroom heat we just adjust as needed
Bernie - A.K.A. The Icehouse LOVE shack
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Bernie! Good advice.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I posted some pictures in the other current thread on heater air flow. In the 300RK model (at least the 2007's made around the same time as mine) the two 2 inch flexible ducts feed the bedroom and the bathroom. I had no ducting to connected to the vent that feeds the basement (supposedly the positive presure in that area forces air through the grate but I am not quite a believer yet. The 3" line fed into the rectangular metal duct that runs back to the living room and two kitchen registers. My water lines to the kitchen are routed inside there and possibly some form of heat to keep the rear (kitchen) gray water tank from freezing). Bottom line here is that blocking flow to the bedroom by an adjustible vent cover or any other means will not directly cause more air to flow to the kitch and LR vents. It will build up the pressure inside the furnace air box and that increased pressure "may" cause more air to flow down the main duct. Since I believe there is only one fan presurising the air box there will be an increase in the back pressure that fan sees. Enough to hurt it, I don't think so but am not positive.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I just lay a book over the bedroom vent and the air flow to the others is much better. The bedroom doesn't get cold because the heat rises.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have decided.

I'm not going to worry about it until next heating season.

Does that add a season to the 5 seasons?

You know, Winter, Spring, Summer Fall, Deer!