Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Slideout Pump

Hi Guess we found another little problem with the new 3295
apparently when the dealership was moving the slideouts in and out, when they were adjusting the dragging kitchen rm, now I have a leak at the pump, all the fittings are tight, however they had all been closed down to just about one turn open? Should they be all the way open? seem's very fast with them open all the way? Would having them closed down be causing the leaks?
Have to get some more fluid so I can see where it is coming from?
hanks for any insight
Dee

Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I assume you are talking about the valves with knurled knobs near the slide pump? Mine are all the way open and as far as I know they should be open all the way. I know of no reason to turn them down other than to shut off a room from moving.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Steve
I am thinking you are correct, I refilled the pump and open'd the valves all the way and had my wife run the rooms in and out several
cycles and it did not leak a drop? Guess that is good!
I am laying the blame on this one on me! When we moved the rooms out
at the dealer walk through one was really quick probably due to air in the system so I turned that one in several turns just leaving it open one full turn. I was thinking that would slow the jumping on that one down a bit? Then when we had the unit ver in Bakersfield for the room adjust I am sure they ran them in and out several times
that I am sure is when the leak occured.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Dee
Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I have a very small leak at my pump also. I don't know why. What kind of oil do you add?

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Any ATF, don't spare any expense the cheaper the better. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Bob I did some checking with old posts here, and also at Lippert's
web site and they say Hyd fluid or ATF
Dee
Old 12-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Folks, I would not set and leave any less than one valve fully open! If one is closed then you need to be aware of the sound of the pump and when you hear it laboring release the switch. If you expect to have all slides functioning then all valves should be left fully open. The issue is building up excessive hydraulic pressure when hitting end stops and not having another hydraulic cylinder to move freely... Likely you exceeded the seal pressure if operating the motor beyond full extension expecting the slide that has the valve partially shut to move. You can expect premature pump failure and blowing fitting seals as hydraulics is all about building pressure and moving pistons. When things stop moving, stay alert to motor noise, and release when it begins to labor...keeping an eye on your slide position that it is fully extended.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Chuck,
I understand some about hydraulics as I was in the heavy equip
business until I retired a while back, and I do listen to the pump
and when it gets to the end of it's stroke, it is fairly easy to tell.
However my question is could the three valves be used to slow the slideout speed and if they are not fully open will they leak?
It seems so as when I did open them all the way the leak is non existant? And that goes against most valves that are supposed to be opened all the way then turned back in a quarter turn to keep from sticking? Very Interesting. Possibly the same engineering firm as the spare tire mounting group?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hahaha, Yeah, I kinda like the spare mounted under my Monty, although it does get close to the ground. I had looked and considered, on my previous Fleetwood 5er hanging it up front, my dad commented to me not to put anything up front I would hesitate to run over. He's an old Tractor Trailer driver. I have not pulled those valves out but if they are like mine it looks like a standard needle valve...I still would worry about pump overpressure and blowing seals in it just to make slides move slower. Wonder if doing some form of DC circuit current control would be best to manage slide speed, as then it would slow the motor rpm and not mess with restricting fluid flow. At work we have variable current controllers and would be a nice feature to manage drive system...low resistance automated current reduction...higher resistance increase current...and have an upper limit cut off. Sorry, waiting for the day I transform into an Ozz...Kids in college so that's out of the question for a while.
Chuck
Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Chuck,
I have just today pulled the spare off the rear of the rig and I am going to re arrange the hoist setup on it as it came from the factory it hung down 14" from the bottom of the rig, and the wheel/tire is 9 1/2 wide so with a little re engineering I can gain
a little right off the git go. and I believe I will move it fwd and
gain some there also. if it falls, which it should not as I am using heavier material than stock, it will be in between the wheels, so they should not be affected. By the way, did you know the stock setup is held up by four 1/4x20 bolts and four 1/4" sheet metal screws?
Thanks for everyones help. Again great resource
Dee
Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Dee, Yes, I mine (2002) uses those same 1/4x20 bolts....pretty lame. Had all that stuff off when I reconfigured my Galley drain valve with a cable operated handle so I don't have to crawl under slide to pull handle, installed angle iron for my 4" box receiver to mount my 4 bike carrier. I figured if its still there all these years...and bolts are like new, suppose its not going anywhere. Maybe when your done you could post pics? We might reconsider our configuration!
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 12-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
I probably would not be concerned about it, but we go out to the desert on occasion and ride dirt bikes with the kids and grandkids and I just know I would drag that spare off in a rut somewhere!
I will post some pic's, maybe by then I will figure out how to post pic's on the site?
Thanks again.
D
Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dee

Steve
I was thinking that would slow the jumping on that one down a bit?
Dee, if the slides are jumping as they move, that generally means the slide rails need to be lubricated. You can use a silicone spray lubricant or any lubricant that dirt will not stick to. Spray it on the teeth the length of those big square tubes and into the gears you see where the tubes disappear into the Montana.

To see if a lubricant will attract dirt, spray some on a piece of cardboard, then toss dirt on it and see if it sticks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote