Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
Towing the car

We are thinking of putting a hitch on the back of our Monty and towing our 2002 Tracker. Someone told us that Montana's can't do this. We've seen other 5th wheels with boats or small cars behind. The truck is plenty big enough. I'd sure like your opinions.

Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When MIMF2 (from Lippert) reads this his hair will stand on end assuming he has any left after the things we have wanted to do with the frames. We had the same thought once and found that it would not work but among other things, in our case Truck @22 feet long, 3400rl 39 feet long Honda @16 feet long even with some of the camper in the TV bed that would be over the legal limit for length in most states...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Just as a point of information, why would you want to tow a car behind your Montana in the first place? Our TV's are excellent vehicles, smooth riding and reliable as all get out. Besides, It is one less vehicle to have to worry about maintenance on, and a lot less stress on the trailer frame and TV Drive Train. Just my opinion...
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I tow a 15 foot aluminum boat behind my Monty. I made the decision to do so even though I am aware that it will likely void my frame warranty. Having said that, I wouldn't even consider towing a Tracker behind my Monty for the following reasons;

My boat/trailer/motor MAY weigh a total of 1000 lbs, although my guess would be somewhat lower than that. Your Tracker probably weighs close to 3000 lbs AND with 4 wheel down towing, you would be subjecting your trailer frame to some serious side stresses when turning.

I installed my own hitch and was not overly impressed with the frame they put under our rigs. I tow with a totally empty fresh water tank to help compensate, and even then I figure I'm pushing the envelope. You'd be totally outside it in my estimation.

BTW. FYI. The combination you are considering would not be legal in Michigan. Other States may have different rules though.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Rich, the hair is getting thin. But, what is up there, IS standing up.

I'm setting here trying to think of what to say next..........I'm speechless!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I'm with Rickety here. Why would you need a car when you have a perfectly good tow vehicle you can drive around when needed. I am not against wanting a witch back there to tow a very small trailer or in my case I would like to haul 2-3 bikes once and a while. But towing a car behind a fifth wheel or TT is not needed IMO.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In my case the thought was, and it was not a very good thought, that when wintering in the RGV it would be nice to drive around in a Honda Civic 33MPG vs a big ole Ford Truck.12mpg or so. I had that thought for a very short time and that is no doubt what the orginal poster was thinking about...You learn by asking questions and soon as Dale( MIMF2 )gets over the initial shock he will give the technical explaination of why that may not be a good idea...
Old 04-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
One of the very reasons I own a 5er and not a motor home is I didn't want the toad. I have seen situations where you had to back up to get out of a certain emergency situation. It is flat out IMPOSSIBLE to back up a toad muchless 2 trailers. I also didn't want the additional cost of an extra engine, transmission and drive train.

Those pulling a trailer behind their 5th wheel will eventually run into a situation where they will be required to back off a hiway. Due to a hiway closing accident two years ago on I81 near Cortland New York we had to back up the on ramp. A U-turn was out of the question. It was either back up or sit on 81 for nearly 3 hours while they cleaned up the mess. Seems a tractor trailer hauling bailed hay caught fire. It took nearly an hour to put out the flames and another 2 hours to clear the wreckage.
That plus the fact that the big rig operators dragging tandem trailers are highly trained and licensed professionals. I doubt you can say most tandem RV plus what-ever trailer are trained at all. Pulling a tandem trailer down a hiway is simple enough. Bringing the TV and the tandem trailers to a safe controlled emergency stop without a jack knife situation takes training and experience.
Those of you pulling tandems please think about it but if you insist PLEASE stay in front of me. Lorraine and I have never seen such an accident.
Let's discuss insurance. Maybe it would be a good idea to ask your insurance carrier. Not your agent but the actual Insurance company.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:45 AM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I will be much more blunt. Unless you are a candidate for first place in the Darwin Awards competition DONT DO IT.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I agree with everyone else, doesn't seem to make sense when you have a nice truck.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I agree with Glenn, I opted for a 5th wheel over a motorhome as I am in love with my Duramax and just could not consider selling it for some little car to tow behind a motorhome. The luxury that my truck provides far outways any car that is on the road.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I love my truck!!!I love the way it drives, feels, and responds, NO toads for me, Just me, Twuck, Monty , Angel and open road!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
But we still love you, Karen!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well actually my choice was a motorhome a nice 36/38 or so foot diesel pusher. I drive big busses so that is what I feel comfortable in. However keeping a open mind and looking seriously at both fifth wheels and motor homes the fifth wheel is the better choice.There is more usable living space in a 36 foot Fifh wheel than a 36 foot Motor-Home being that the front part of a Motor-home is "the truck" and as Helen confirmed there is more counter space in just about ANY fifth wheel.As is pointed out you still need to drag along a car because if you think a CC,LB, Dually takes up some room in a parking lot try a 36/38 foot motor- home. Not to mention a fifth wheel /Truck combo is a lot less expensive than that 36/38 foot diesel pusher and car combo. Helen told me from day one that the fifth wheel was a all around better choice..don't you just hate it when they are always right We will be very happy with our Montana.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Helen is sure correct on the amount of living and storage space in the fifth wheel. The motor homes sure do not compare, and I looked at everything from a 35' diesel pusher up to the $1.8m Prevost H3-45 with 3 slides. I sure do not regret going with the Montana. Well, I would like a Cambridge but that is another story...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:28 AM   #16
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
We are full timing in our Monty; our "home" is where we park it. I was hoping for a quick response but am surprised at the emotion expressed in the answers. You are right, of course, especially in regard to the warrentee, weights, legality. We won't put the hitch on. As for why I need my own car I commute to work, full time, travel nursing in many different states. When I retire, we'll just keep the truck like you folks out there.
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 AM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
After the kids were gone and my consulting business was going well, we decided to try a Class"A" motorhome. Found a Diesel pusher with low miles, good price and owned by a doctor friend with too many toys. Couldn 't pass it up but, sure wish I had. We had it for about 5 years and 30,000 miles or so. It was the most expensive contraption we have ever owned--more so than any airplane I have ever owned. The worst was going through OK city on I-40 and looking down to realize I could see the road between the wall and floor of the coach. Yes, the whole side was falling off.

Our "toad"'s were a Tracker and later, a Ranger Pickup. Anyone who would rather drive a tracker than a TV is rather strange in my book. The pickup was good because it compensated for the lack of storage in the MH. Reminds me of another episode. Had a case of Coke (may have been beer) in a storage locker. It was too heavy and the storage locker was falling apart from the weight.

I finally got rid of the damn thing. Everytime I see one on the road - no matter how big or expensive - my first reaction is "glad it belongs to you and not me."

I love driving Bubba when we get were we are going. And, for my money, it is a lot more comfortable while towing than bouncing around in the front of the wheels in a motorhome.
(PHEW-glad I got that off my chest)
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Karen, the only solution is to follow the Montana with your car. I understand your thinking - that the fuel savings would be huge right now. Depends on how far you plan to go. If it's a short trip, we have done this before (couple hours), you should be fine. If it's cross country, the wear and tear on the car and the gas cost - even though it's high mileage - might overcome the benefit.

But if not too far, I would have someone follow, driving the car.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have often had this thought, if we were somewhere and Big Butt was a problem, like we wanted to go do a lot of downtown sightseeing, say, in Dallas, we could always rent a car for the day. This trip, we just had my very accomdating and sweet cousins take us and show us around! What fun that was!

Or, there are tour companies, nothing like a GrayLine tour for seeing a town you have never visited before!

But, depends on why you need the extra car. If you work, then, drive it behind the Montana, or pay a service to deliver it from point one to point two, and you can still ride in the TV. There are services for anything, eh???

Good luck with your decision, tough decisions, but fun times!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

... But, depends on why you need the extra car. If you work, then, drive it behind the Montana, or pay a service to deliver it from point one to point two, and you can still ride in the TV. There are services for anything, eh???
That a good idea Carol. I didn't think of having a service drive the car out to you.