Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Commercial Driver License

I just read the other topic and here is my question:
how many of you have commercial driver license and in what states is
it required to pull our rigs legally?

Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have a CDL but do not personally know of any State that requires one to tow a RV?? Will be interested to hear the response.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This question has come up quite often on other boards such as RV.net, IRV2.com and others. Out of the many many responses there was never a CDL requirement in any state. Even if there were all states have reciprocal agreements making your home states license requirements good in other states.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
In Ontario, the type of license required depends on vehicle weight, length, and configuration. If you are towing any trailer (including an RV) that has a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs, a Class A license is required. If the vehicle/trailer also has air brakes, a Class AZ license is required. Trailers weighing less than 10,000 lbs can be legally towed by someone possessing only a Class G (General) license. There is also a Class D license for drivers of large non-tractor-trailer trucks with GVWR of more than 20,000 lbs (I could be wrong on the exact weight). Commercial drivers I know in Ontario have Class AZ, Class D, or Class G licenses depending on what they drive. So, unless you have air brakes on your Monty, a Class A license is the legal requirement here in the last remaining colony of United Empire Loyalists in North America!

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Coach Driver

M.O.C. #5648
In New York State if you have a Motor Home that is over 26,000 you must have either a CDL class B or an R designation on your regular license but it is not required for a fifth wheel or travel trailer. I do the training and license scheduling for an RV Dealer in NYS .and deal with Motor Vehicle on a regular basis.
Coach Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Frisbee

In Ontario, the type of license required depends on vehicle weight, length, and configuration. If you are towing any trailer (including an RV) that has a GVWR in excess of 10,000 lbs, a Class A license is required.
Bill,
As I mentioned in your other thread on weights, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation only considers the "weight transmitted to the road through the trailer's wheels" as the trailer weight, therefore, if you are carrying enough of that load on the truck to bring the trailer weight below 10,000lbs, then a G license is all you need. Of course, you still shouldn't exceed the truck's weight ratings, but that is a different issue from licensing requirements. In our case, this makes the difference between needing an A or G license.

I know this distinction is not made clear in the "Driver's Manual", but I was told by an MTO enforcement officer that this is how the actual legislation is legally interperted.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jerzy54

I just read the other topic and here is my question:
how many of you have commercial driver license and in what states is
it required to pull our rigs legally?
I haven't seen the requirements for commercial license but have seen limits on size. This has been a good reference table for me http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I don't know of requirements in any state and quite honestly I don't think it makes anyone a better driver. It MIGHT give you a better idea on a "pre-trip inspection" but by reading this forum I think we all do that better than most CDL drivers too. Over the years I've had everything from a "chauffuer (sp) license" (which was an old classification in CO) to a CDL, to an airport license and I don't think anyone of them made me a better driver. Just my thoughts.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
hello coach driver, welcome back!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Hi, John ...

My position on the matter is based largely on a statement made by Bob Nichols, senior spokesman for MTO, and quoted in the Toronto Star on July 9, 2005, pg. G.01. Though there are lots of folks who think the law is ridiculous, I have yet to find anyone in a responsible position who claims that Mr. Nichols' comments are incorrect. The statement:

"'Ontario's licensing system is categorized according to vehicle weight, towed weights and combined weights of both the vehicles towing and being towed, regardless of the operator's use (commercial or recreational),' said Bob Nichols, senior spokesman for MTO, in a statement.

'MTO is not considering any changes to its policy at this time.'

He said drivers of RV trailers over 4,600 kilograms are required to have a Class A license. To get the license, the driver must submit a satisfactory medical report, pass a vision test and a Class A knowledge test. They must also pass a road test (an RV trailer can be used in this road test)."

While not disputing what you say about the interpretation of the law according to an MTO enforcement official (I have heard all sorts of varying interpretations of the law used by people to rationalize NOT acquiring the Class A license), I choose to follow the law as stated by Mr. Nichols. My Montana 3400 weighs considerably more than 4,600 kilos. Ergo, the law requires that I go through the exercise of acquiring my Class A license. Seemed pretty simple and straightforward to me at the time ... still does. And, contrary to the views of some, I actually did learn a few things along the way.

Bill
Old 04-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I guess it is a good thing I do not own a Teton Homes 5th wheel. According to the wecamp rv website all states do not allow a trailer over 40' long. The largest Teton Homes comes in at 45'. Guess things would be interesting if folks ever start following every law to the T...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Well I guess it is a good thing I do not own a Teton Homes 5th wheel. According to the wecamp rv website all states do not allow a trailer over 40' long. The largest Teton Homes comes in at 45'. Guess things would be interesting if folks ever start following every law to the T...
Dave,

As the reference below indicates, the We Camp RV Website is incorrect ... and, with respect to New York State at least, has been for nearly 3 years! So you can buy a 45' Teton and visit my home state without feeling like a criminal!

Bill

For Release: June 27, 2003
Governor Pataki Waives Restrictions on Large Recreational Vehicles:
RV's Up To 45 Feet In Length To Be Allowed On Most State Owned Roads

Governor George E. Pataki today announced that New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) Commissioner Joseph H. Boardman and Thruway Authority Executive Director Michael R. Fleischer have signed blanket waivers authorizing recreational vehicles (RV's) up to 45 feet in length to travel on highways operated by New York State with the exception of state parkways.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Frisbee

Hi, John ...

"'Ontario's licensing system is categorized according to vehicle weight, towed weights and combined weights of both the vehicles towing and being towed,
Bill,
It was this statement that sent me checking into this issue. I don't think our positions are really at odds, it is just a matter of how "towed weights" is defined. And this is where I was told that towed weight is the weight transmitted to the road.

Anyway I have no wish to argue about something that I only know second hand, and certainly there is no harm in having an A license, I even considered getting one myself.

John.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote