Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Bed Cover for Bubba

I've been looking for a bed cover that would be practical for a fiver tow vehicle. I needed one that could be stowed easily while towing. I finally found the Advance fold-a-cover.

http://www.advancecover.com/

This one has four panels and stows in the front 25% of the bed so it stows ahead of the hitch (at least it is on the long bed).

When we are on the road we use one of those louvered, notched tailgate to avoid accidentally hitting the tailgate with the hitch pin. Now we can put the cover out when not towing and get maximum efficiency even with out a solid tailgate.

The thing cost about 750 bucks including shipping and I installed it in about two easy hours.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I had good luck with a TRUXEDO brand roll-up cover on my last truck. I will be ordering a new one for the '06 shortly as we like to keep the firewood and anything else we store in the bed dry while camping.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Fold-a-cover on our 05/F-350/LB. We paid about the same price in March 05.The primary reason was to protect and keep the hitch and stuff dry when not towing. we were pleasantly surprised to find no leaks what-so-ever even in the heaviest rain and several inches of melting snow on the cover. It is all in the installation. We did get some water up through the bottom of the tailgate but there is a seal kit to deal with that. We also have ordered the V tailgate because we have been to be forgetful and make a mistake now and then. It was hard to see the hitch because of the height of the cover folded up but we solved that with a old magnetic CB antenna painted school bus yellow stuck on to the rear of the hitch.
Now with the 06 3400 on order with the front mirror that is no longer a problem. One other thing of interest on the aerodynamics of the cover. On day when there was a couple inches of light snow on the cover we ran it down the interstate to see what the airflow looked like. Except for the very lip of the tailgate (maybe 2 inches so) the snow remained on the fold-a-cover. When we returned home that 2 inches was bare but most of the snow was still on the cover. That tells me that the areodynamics will still be good with the V tailgate, not towing. Towing of course..all bets are off...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, that looks identical to the cover my uncle used on his Dodge for six years of fulltiming. He loved it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have the American Rolling Cover on my truck. It rolls perfectly over the 5er hitch and forms a nice water tight seal all around. I do get some light water around the tailgate when going through a high pressure car wash. You can even stand on it and it will support up to 300 lbs.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Native Tex..My Fold-A-Cover does the intended job and I really like it.The dealer also sold the American Rolling Cover and I thought it was just too expensive but in hindsight I wish I had saved my pennies and got it..Oh well, such is life. There is a rubber seal kit that installs around the tailgate to keep out that water.Have the same problem with the fold-a-cover.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Koalityman
Established Member

M.O.C. #4872
Dave,

I've had a Pace Eduards Roll-Top cove for 10 years and it still works great. They are somewhat expensive, but well worth the convenience and security. You can roll it out just to the hitch and lock it in place if you desire.
Koalityman is offline   Reply With Quote