Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Advertise your membership

Over the weekend,Gail and I had another great time at the Challenger. However, we decided to bring it home with us on Sunday so that I can get her ready this week for the trek west ward to the National Rally. As I was re-hooking up Monday morning to take the Challenger to the plant to have some more goodies added for the trip, I was doing it in the dark. Therefore, I had the cab high cargo light on to help see what I was doing. I also had the one on under the deck to see from behind. Had no trouble seeing what I was doing. Got all done and turned the under-deck light off and did the walk around the rig.

As I was coming around the front corner of the passenger side of the truck, I just happened to look up. There , up in the darkness the front endcap was lite up and looked kind of nice. The light and lettering made a nice night-time effect.

It was when as I was driving to the office, I thought maybe we as MOC members could advertise when we are traveling at night to show other members who we are traveling the highways of this great country.

Good idea or not? Does this sound "dorky"? I'm sure all you have new enough trucks that have the cab high cargo lights. Try it. Light up the front endcaps on those big beautiful Montanas and see what you think!

Just an idea.

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Mime: I think it is probably a great idea. I can't remember the last time I was driving when it was dark. We usually pull off around 4 pm.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Me too Bill, If I am on the road much past 4 PM and I must be lost and if you know me (actually a male thing) I never get lost.

It does sound like a neat idea and I am half tempted to back up to the Monty tonight just to get a look see.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well Dale you are telling your age. As you get older you will find night driving does not set to well with older eyes. Although sitting up high in our trucks does help. We never tow at night unless we really have to get somewhere fast.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I think it would be too distracting on the highway to vehicles in the passing lane. although it wouldn't shine directly twards them, even a small light has unforseen distractions and could cause an accident! I've seen this way to many times!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
BillyRay, I guess it wouldn't be much different than some other manufacturers coaches who have lights already up there shinning across the end-cap. Like the Pilgrim Open Road and I think Carriage is another one.

Parrothead, I guess I was getting myself psyched up for the trip starting in the wee morning hours on Tuesday.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I noticed the effect on our rig a while back. I even mentioned to Shari, but like many others, it would be most unusual for us to be driving with it at night, unless we were bringing to or from storage.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hey Dale whatever it takes as long as you get there. Really looking forward to meeting you and seeing if we are okay. Have not had problems but with others having some, makes me anxious. Plus because of you we get red velvet cake!
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I think it sounds like a great idea, will see how it looks when I bring the coach back home from being winterized. The cab light might be too high and could effect passing cars, but having something placed lower in the truck bed pointing up towards the nose of the coach might work. Being in the bed below the bedrails it would not effect passing cars. Uh! Might just be another winter project. I am one of those guys that will drive till 2 or 3am just to get there, but I am not fulltiming so days off are few and very far between.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Well as for us up here in the Frozen North, lighting up our rigs is rarely an issue! Usually it's the other way 'round...we are looking for ways to shut the sunlight out especially around bedtime!

By the time it gets dark enough to really warrant an idea such as yours, it is about time to put the old RV to bed for winter!

Bumper stickers and MOC flags work so much better for us!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:39 AM   #11
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Dale,
I think it is a neat idea. We do some driving at night, next time I am out I will try your idea. Did you think it would be a hindrance to other drivers? I don't think so but will have to look at the situation when hooked up.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote