Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Rita came calling

As most everyone knows, Rita was nice to Galveston and Houston by moving over to the East. She was then expected to come right over our place here in North East Texas, but once again, she changed her mind. She moved over still more to the East and passed near Shreveport, LA just about 60 miles East of here.

We have had rain all day and pretty blustery winds but no trees down on our place. Just as Shirley finished preparation of our lunch in our 'all electric' house the power went off, and it is still off, now 8 hours later. Fortunately, I still have a dialup account with Earthlink, so I can get online with my battery powered laptop, but.... no TV, no lights, no stove, no refrigerator, no air conditioner. Interesting.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Ahhhh! I remember it well from my father's house last year. I remember standing in line at the hospital the morning after Charley, waiting to get a cup of coffee. Charley was supposed to go on up the Gulf toward Tampa, but instead it made that sharp right and slammed into SW and Central FL. A total surprise. My father was without power for 9 days and it was hot. I feel for you. I hope your services are restored soon. I know it's a pain but at least you have your home (and Earthlink) and I'm happy to hear you are safe.

Let's just pray the water's find their way to the cool side so we can stop and take a deep breath. If it's not Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, It's Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
UPDATE: The power came on just about a half hour ago. We are doin great, but feel sorrow for our neighbors in Louisiana. All is calm here now, and we only got about 4 inches of rain (which we greatly needed). No trees down on our place, just a lot of 'trash' which I'll clean up on Monday, weather permitting.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like your experience was similar to ours when Ivan came through Alabama last year. I made Glen promise that we wouldn't stay around for any more storms. It was bad enough with 80 mph winds.

We were thinking of you guys today when they were reporting that Rita was passing over the Lake O' the Pines. Glad you're okay.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Padredw,

Glad to hear you came through pretty unscathed!

we are continuing our prayers for the rest of the victims of Rita and Katrina
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
David and Shirley,

We are glad that Rita was only an annoyance to you. We feel for others that had it a lot worse.
We enjoyed our visit with you in Tennessee and hope to see you again.

Glenn and Karin
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:03 AM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Being from the Gulf Coast myself my heart goes out to you. The DW and I have been through many hurricanes in the past and the most trying times are after it passes.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Glad you two came through Rita relatively unscathed. As I type this here in Nashville we are just now getting some of Rita's wind. Nothing compared to what you or the Gulf Coast received but enough to remind me that I don't want anything to do with hurricanes. We will be staying pretty much in the Tennessee area for another couple weeks before we start venturing south to Florida.

BTW to Glenn and Karin, Looks like we will be looking you up at the Bean Pot this coming Saturday when we pull out of Nashville.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
We are just doing great, but we feel much sympathy for those on the border of Texas and Louisiana who really got the brunt of the storm.

Glad that Glenn and Lorraine and Glenn and Karin may get to meet in the Bean Pot. I'l like to be there for those good times.

BTW, we did find a couple of trees down on our place. Found them on our way back from church this morning. The congregations was small because there was some thought of cancelling (as many churches did today) when the power was out until late last night. We raised prayer for the neighbors to the south.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I had simular conditions as Padredw. The news first reported that the storm would hit Dallas...no,no now it just east of Dallas. Wait that is me! So we battened down the hatches. Moved the trailer and left her hooked to the TV for a quick getaway if necessary. Got the generator out. And generally just prepared for the worst. And we did not get more that 2 inches of much needed rain. But sure as taxes if I had not prepared Rita would have parked over my house.
I hope everyone makes out OK.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David, I have not been on the forum since last week. Glad to know that the worst of your problems was the power going off. Everyone in the Gulf Coast area remains in our prayers.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, J.D. Did notice your absence. Where was that new photo of your Montana taken?

On the subject of weather, we are finally expecting a real 'cool front' tonight. We have had above normal temperature and humidity holding on until almost the end of September. We expect tomorrow to be very different--even below normal.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David, the pic was taken during our Labor Day “escape” to Calhoun Falls SP in South Carolina. I took the picture looking up from the banks of Lake Richard B. Russell. That site has a beautiful view of the lake, especially at sunset as the water looks to be on fire. We will be going back there in two weeks for our fall break, well, my fall break as I have an entire week off. Marsha and John only have two days as we work in different school systems.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
It's a great photo, J.D. and reminds me of the campsite we had at Holly Cove Campground in North Carolina, which was on the side of a really steep hill.