Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Fantastic Vent cover sticking.....

Terri Ames just informed me that Ron had spoken to the folks at Fantastic Vent about their sticking cover. As I also had a sticking cover I called them and I just got off the phone with the folks at Fantastic Vent. Without going into all the details they want anyone with a sticky vent cover to call them at 800-521-0298 and they will assist you in correcting this sticky situation. Ask for Tech Support.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks Glenn
We thought it was the heat. When we were only in the 90's I could get it to work by turning it on and off a few times. But once we hit the triple digits, I can't get it to work at all now. I'll call.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Thanks Glenn,

We've had the problem for quite a while. I once thought it was fixed after we brought it in for service (they used the recommended gasket lube from fantastic), but it started up 3 weeks after that.

We'll be giving them a call.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks Glen for the phone number and information. The sticky fan is the one thing I cannot get fixed. I do not like climbing up on the roof and lubricating the gasket every time I want to use the fan. I hope there is a better fix than that.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I just got off the phone with Larry at Fantastic fan and I have to tell you they have GREAT customer service there. He is sending a new gasket and glue for me to install which will be no problem. Thanks again Glen as that sticking fan cover has been a on-going problem that my wife would not take off of the honey-do list.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Doug, I agree. I also just called and they didn't even ask how old the unit was. They are sending new gasket. This company has to go on the list of Terrific Customer Service.
Happy trails.................
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Use a little of 303 on the gasket and it wont stick
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
SSSSHHHHHHH!!!!! It's kinda our little secret.

I was told not to mention the FREE seal (gasket) on the internet as they, Fantastic Vent, felt they could get deluged with calls for a FREEbie and not necessarily because the caller had a problem but because it was an oppurtunity to get something for FREE.

So if you are going to spread the word on the net PLEASE try to word it close to what I had...
Quote:
quote:Without going into all the details they want anyone with a sticky vent cover to call them at 800-521-0298 and they will assist you in correcting this sticky situation. Ask for Tech Support.
They had absolutely no problem if you spread it amongst your friends or with the fellow RVers in the campground that you are staying in.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I thought I was talking to my friends. Sorry. I told the person I spoke with we belonged to a club and she didn't say not to tell anyone.
Happy trails.......................
Old 09-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
That was kinda "tongue in cheek" as there is no way it wasn't gonna get on the net.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We have tried using 303 and it works but only for a short time and then its back up on the roof to re-apply the 303 again. We need a permanent fix and it sounds like one is available if one calls.
Thanks for the heads up on this issue Glen
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Is it just the automatics having this problem or is anyone experiencing a sticking lid with the manual lift type? Ours is manual lift and hasn't stuck yet but is less than a year old. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:20 AM   #13
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Thanks for the information Glenn! You were right about the folks at Fantastic Fan! I wish all manufacturers were willing to deal with a problem as well as these folks!! The tech support girl was excellent and is taking care of our sticking vent problem as well!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Steve:
In my case, I have the automatic fantastic vent and after trying the 303 it would stick shut after about the third time of use. On mine there is a manual knob to use if the seal is stuck. This of course, requires the use of a step stool to reach this knob. I did call the fantastic vent number supplied by Glen today and they were very nice and cooperative to deal with and said the problem is believed to be solved now with a new ribbed seal. The former seal was not ribbed and was believed to be made of a different chemical composition that allowed it to adhere to surfaces due to the heat of the sun. The new seal is made of different chemical composition and is ribbed, which has apparently, according to the fantastic rep., has helped eliminate the sticking of the seal. The Rep. said he would send me 4 foot of the seal and the adhesive to install it. Now these are the kind of people that should receive our thanks and praise for standing behind their product.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, I would imagine this seal is for ALL sticking Fantastic Vents.

I got my new seal today along with a standard size tube of adhesive. The size tube you would use a standard size caulking gun. There's enuff adhesive to do 20 seals. Seems like it's going to be a huge waste of adhesive.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There are at least two causes for the Fantastic Fan vent cover sticking. One is the gasket as described in previous posts. In our case, the cover actually contacts the sealant that Keystone apply around the base of the fan. I need to cut away a little of the EXCESS sealant, or possibly cover it with duct tape. Otherwise, 303 is supposed to work well on the sticking gasket.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 AM   #17
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I just talked to Steve II and he's sending a new gasket! Had trouble w/that all summer regardless of weather. Special thanks to Glenn for sharing the tip. Fantastic does seem to want to fix the problem! Steve suggested cleaning the vent cover w/alcohol and using hot glue gun for attaching gasket to the rig.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #18
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Well......Lucky me. I called the number and they said I HAD to try lubricating it before they'd send a new seal. Looks like it depends on your luck of the draw on who you talk to at tech support.

I guess I could have lied to them and told them I'd already tried lubrication, but I didn't.

Lady I talked to didn't sound too overly energetic. Maybe she was having a bad day. Anyhow...I wish I could say that I'm impressed with their support.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wileecoyote985

Well......Lucky me. I called the number and they said I HAD to try lubricating it before they'd send a new seal. Looks like it depends on your luck of the draw on who you talk to at tech support.

I guess I could have lied to them and told them I'd already tried lubrication, but I didn't.

Lady I talked to didn't sound too overly energetic. Maybe she was having a bad day. Anyhow...I wish I could say that I'm impressed with their support.
I would suggest calling again. I was told that if your vent was sticking they would send you a new seal BUT if your seal wasn't sticking than you should wait. Apparently some of the newer rigs already have the new seal.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #20
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Glenn;

It's been sticking since we got the unit and that's exactly what I told the woman I talked to. She said periodic maintenance (applying 303 protectant) is required on their vent products. Seems exceedingly strange that the company would want their customers crawling up 12 feet onto their RV roof periodically to apply a protectant. While I'm not bothered by heights, many are, and for them it would be necessary to hire someone to perform this service.

As always, it makes a world of difference who you happen to get on the other end of the phone line when it comes to decent customer service.

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote