Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Montana_4118
Established Member

M.O.C. #4118
Water Filter Questions

After reading a thread on MOC about putting a water filter in line, I went out and purchased a whole house filter from Lowes. I set it up to connect to the RV park supply and then connect to my white hose which is connected to the RV. My question is this... Since we only get to use our Montana once or twice a month, what do I do with the filter media between trips. My concern is that when I break it down from the water supply the filter will develope mold & mildew and not be safe to use the next trip. Whole house systems are designed to have water on the filter at all times. Any ideas what to do to keep the filter from being funky would be appreciated.

Montana_4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
What a great question. My experience is with Pur 'manually pumped' filters that my wife and I use while backpacking. When we get back home, I fill the sink with a water and clorox mixture and pump some through.
Now, how does that relate to the inline filters....??? We both need to figure out how to get some bleach through the inline filter.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #3
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have a whole house filter system for my Mountaineer. I just cary extra filters at home base and change them after trips. This beats trying to clean the cartrige. If I remember a two pack of filters runs about $7.00.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I empty the containers and depending on how long I have used them I either dry them out in the sun or throw them away. I use both types of filters, sediment and charcoal.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I usually use the cheap $20 disposable ones.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I disassemble the filter and dry it out. Mold won't grow where it's dry. Never had any problems.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our filter has an 'off' position which closes the filter off from outside air. I also have a short 4' hose I use from spigot to filter. When disconnected I hook the spigot end of this hose to the other side of the filter housing so the entire system is closed, but still full of water. We have only left it disconnected for maybe a week while traveling but have had no concerns so far. When we are in the Kansas City area in Nov/Dec I will not connect the filter for those two months. For one, we know the water in that park is good. Second, there will be subfreezing weather and this filter is not designed to be frozen. A frozen filter would not be good for water delivery, either. I'll probably just leave it closed up like above and see how it fares. If not good, then I'll replace the element. I think I got a pack of either 2 or 3 for $13. They're good for six months per the package.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
I have used the same filter setup now with my 2nd unit for over 7-years. I generally use my Rv,once a month at most. When through I hook the male end of my hose to the female end where the water regulator fastens to the park hook-up faucet. I have never had a mold problem. Before putting the unit away for the winter, I remove the carbon filter. I forgot to do this last winter and the cartrige froze and I all kinds of small piece of carbon in the filter housing. What a mess. I also noticed this last weekend the filter top where it screws to the bottom leaked some with a small stream spewing out between the top and bottom of the houing. I guess after using it for this long it might be time to buy a new one. This time I will get the one with a clear bottom housing. Either Lowes or Home Depot will show what connectors are needed to hook it up to the white water hose. It has worked well for all these years. Oh! my old filter had a red release button on the top that would allow water to flow out of the in=flow side of the filter. I haven't check the new models.

Gimmy2001
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote