Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
AGM Batteries... Opinion

Who's using AGM 12v batteries? What do you think of them? Would you buy them again? We're doing research on new batteries because our OEM battery is getting old and weaker.

Thanks in advance.

Walt

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All I can offer is they keep a charge better and last longer in my motorcycle.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Walt,

If you can go with 2 - 6 volt AGM's and run them in a series configuration to get your 12 volts and you will get more amp hours with the 2 batteries as compared to one 12 volt. Search the Internet as there are many good ones. You would not need a battery box as the AGM's do not off gas. You will need extra 4/0 or 2/0 cables to run them together but they will be worth it!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Unless you've money to burn, just replacing one 12v battery with a single 12v AGM won't get you any improvement. Also, only having your converter charging one or two quality AGM or flooded batteries won't let you get the life out of them that they should have. Converters don't charge at a high enough voltage to start with, only at one that won't overcharge if left plugged in for months. It's true AGMs don't outgas and you don't have to check fluid levels, but if you're going to spend the money, first look into how they'll be charging so you aren't wasting it.

By the by, our new/used Monty came with two 12v semi-deep cycle batteries. Someone added the second with 10 gauge cables, just jumping the second to the first. Didn't change either of the trailer connections so both would be equally sharing the load. Really pathetic job and one of the first things I fixed. There's previous posts on how to add a second battery or two 6v ones.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 AM   #5
wm5e
Established Member

M.O.C. #15875
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Unless you've money to burn, just replacing one 12v battery with a single 12v AGM won't get you any improvement. Also, only having your converter charging one or two quality AGM or flooded batteries won't let you get the life out of them that they should have. Converters don't charge at a high enough voltage to start with, only at one that won't overcharge if left plugged in for months. It's true AGMs don't outgas and you don't have to check fluid levels, but if you're going to spend the money, first look into how they'll be charging so you aren't wasting it.

By the by, our new/used Monty came with two 12v semi-deep cycle batteries. Someone added the second with 10 gauge cables, just jumping the second to the first. Didn't change either of the trailer connections so both would be equally sharing the load. Really pathetic job and one of the first things I fixed. There's previous posts on how to add a second battery or two 6v ones.
I would think adding another 12 volt battery in parallel would be the way to go. What did you do to "fix" that? You didn't want the two batteries equally sharing the load? I'm curious as my new Monty came with two 12 batteries in parallel too. I thought it was for the refrigerator inverter.
wm5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Two 12's in parallel works when they are big honkers and appropriate cabling is used for the setup. And in that case, it's hard to lift one and they take up a lot of space. For normal group'd 12 vdc batts, more amphrs can be had with 6 vdc in series or parallel pairs of serial sixes. John
Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As stated above, we used two 12's for several years and then went to 6's. I would not go back to 12's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We have been running 6 ea. 6 volt AGM batterys for the last 1 1/2 months and I am liking them more and more each day. Since we are in Quatrzsite and have them tied to our solar system they seem to be quite stable when tied to our inverter... And I would buy them again...
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wm5e

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

I would think adding another 12 volt battery in parallel would be the way to go. What did you do to "fix" that? You didn't want the two batteries equally sharing the load? I'm curious as my new Monty came with two 12 batteries in parallel too. I thought it was for the refrigerator inverter.
Whoever installed the second battery before we bought it did it wrong. They just added the second w/10 gauge cables cut to fit next to the first and changed nothing else. Two batteries must be paralleled with at least 8 gauge and equal length cables between them and then connected one + from one battery and the - from the other for them to share the load and charge equally. Don't believe they came w/two from the factory unless Keystone had heard enough complaints to finally put a second in.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Supposedly AGM batteries should be charged with a charger that has the AGM mode. I have a AGM battery that I use to run a electric trolling motor on an inflatable pontoon boat. Its been used now for four years, and gets run down pretty low on each usage . I have always charged it up with a charger with the AGM mode. The battery seems to be as strong as when new. It a size 24 .

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Here's a link with some information on AGMS...I'd opt for two 6s rather than two 12s:

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/index.html
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote