Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Adding new AC to CCC2 Thermostat

I added a new AC in the front bedroom today. Turned on Tstat when I finished and both units fired up and started to cool down the trailer. I looked back at the Tstat and had an error code "E1" loss of communication. I am assuming that I need to change the zone on the new Penguin 2 I installed? Any help would be appreciated.

bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Bobcat, we just had a Penguin unit installed up front also. However, we elected NOT to connect to the thermostat. Too many folks have related stories about all the problems thay had with two units on one t-stat. Also, we like the idea of running the A/C units seperately. AND, if the t-stat ever fails we can still run the second unit without any issues. Good luck with your new A/C. It sure is nice when things get really hot .
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lynn and Kevin, I think that is a good move, sometimes all the controls in these units just leads to potential troubles down the road.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
My one thermostat works both a/c just fine.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Lynn and Kevin,

Did you tie your bedroom unit into existing duct work?

We are trying to decide whether to tie in or just use outlets.

Thanks,

Randy
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Changed the address on the control board to Zone 2 on the Penguin 2 and it is working fine. I can set each zone to its own temperature and they work independent of each other. I have heard about reliability issues with the CCC2 but didn't want to rung wiring for a separate Tstat. I guess time will tell if that was a good decision.

I connected the bedroom AC to the existing ducting in the trailer. When I first started to look into installing this unit several months ago I saw a piece foil on either side of the vent opening when I pulled the vent trim down. What we finally figured out this is the foil tape on the end of the duct work. Just took the tape off to reveal a 2 x 8 duct. I used duct tape to make sure that air was being forced in the duct and not into the roof cavity. The temperature sensor wire and the "phone wire" for the CCC2 control was in the roof cavity ready to hook up. I had to run 12" of 12/2 wire to go from the junction box that was installed for the future AC unit to the opening. An opening in the roof member allowed me to fish it to the roof opening. The AC unit came with a cord and a junction box which I mounted in the air return area of the opening. The hardest part of the install was getting the caulk off the roof where the existing vent was and getting the AC on the roof.

When we ran both units it blew out black dust from the vents. What a mess! The air return grill we bought also has a vent we can open to allow air directly out into the bedroom. It makes the unit ductless if you want or ducted.

Randy I really think the ducted unit is the way to go. If one unit quits working I can use the other as a backup. The air will be distributed through out the trailer and if I want the air only in the bedroom just open the vent up on the air return grill. I think you get the best of both worlds. Connecting to the existing duct work is easy if your trailer was setup for the second AC unit.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Bobcat92, is there any way I can get some pics of your install. I also have the 3100RL and am thinking about installing the 2nd A/C.

A couple of questions for you:
1) Did you install a low profile or the standard one?

2) What size unit did you go with, 13,500 or 15,000 BTU?

3) When can you come over and help me install mine?

Thanks,
Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
mach111, I did NOT tie into the ductwork. The A/C unit blows the air out of the ceiling grill that came with the A/C unit. When I run both units at the same time I did not want them fighting against each other for duct space. The new unit blows cool air directly into the bedroom. That cool air migrates down into the rest of the unit on its own. The main unit blows air through the ducts throughout the trailer. On a really hot day it cools the Monty very nicely.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Thanks for comments on ducted air connection. I will now look for the evidence of foil covered areas.

So far I have been unable to find thermostat wiring so I am beginning to think Keystone does not run that wire for second unit on this year model. Installing a new thermostat wire is more than I want to tackle. I do have electric wire for hookup.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Scott I took some pictures last night and tried to post them but it got to late. They are after I had already installed the grill. I was going to take pictures as I did the project but I am not very patient person.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...53830612985105

1. I installed the low profile penguin II. Being on the front I wanted it to add the least amount to the height of rig.

2. I installed a 13,500 BTU. We aren't as hot and humid in Montana as they are back East or down South.

3. If you want to pay for diesel I would love to visit your part of the country. LOL.

If there is something in particular you would like more details on I can try to get a picture for you.

mach111 the duct looked at first like foil backed insulation and I couldn't figure out what I was looking for. Fiber glass insulator was between it and the roof. When you looked for the thermostat wire did you pull the vent trim down? My wire was back through a hole in the roof structure. I felt them with my finger. They are just a "phone cord" and a wire with a plastic connector on it. I think one of my photos shows the general area I found mine.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
The thermostat wire looks like a phone wire with the plug in jack on the end. FYI. We have a 2009 and it was there with the duct work. We had our 2nd air put in last year ducted. We where told by other MOC members if you have the enclosed bathroom unless its ducted it won't travel down into the coach. Our unit is not as open from the bedroom as those with the split bathroom. The ducted air works great for us. It has made a great improvement.

Also if u have a 2009 thermostats (5 button) its not compatible with the new air conditions. The mother board in the air has to be changed to accept the older thermostats. Another FYI....

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Thanks Bill and Cindy for the info. Since we have the 09 also I will follow up on the wire. My thermostat is going to dictate whether or not we tie in.

Hey Ozz, want to sell me a new thermostat?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Randy,
I would rather you get it from the source if possible, Is it Dometic? I bought a round Dometic thermostat and had to change the electronics board up in the rear A/C cavity. I had to call Dometic for a clarification. It is quite a job, even for someone that does it all the time. Now, yours may not require the board change, I don't know. If you are adding an A/C unit, ??? Others will probably help on that.
Make sure when you order it, give them all the info you can. Model number, serial number of original unit, model and serial of new unit. This will be needed for a good match-up.
Here is my thermostat change slide show:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink
Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Thanks Oz for info. My thermostat is Coleman 5 button(I think). I will probably just chose to operate unit from the panel buttons on the a/c. I just do not want to get into changing boards,etc. The task is out of my knowledge.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
One other option was told to us by 2different techs was you can still duct the air condition but put it on a separate thermostat compatible to the new air in the bed room. That was going to be our option#2. At that point you just have to turn them on individually but they both can run through the duct work. You would have to fish the wire from the bedroom thermostats to the new air. Really no different except you have to walk to the bedroom to turn it on and you have a thermostat on the wall in your bedroom. If you change out your thermostat in the living room then the existing air is not compatible. Changing out the mother board is where we kept running into problems. The average person can not do it. Good luck however u go. You won't regret it. Well worth the expense.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Bobcat; Thanks for the pics and info. Helps a lot. I hope to be adding my 2nd A/C soon. If you ever get down this way be sure and look us up!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Yep, Ozz, you were right. My thermostat is a five button Duotherm by Dometic. Do not know where I got Coleman from. Senior moment here.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Happens to us all... me daily, Ok, hourly...
You might call Dometic and explain to them what you want to do and see if they can guide you.