Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Honda 3000 IS that was running a little rough. I kept seeing adds for Shell premium gas. They show how it cleans the valves. So I put some in the generator. Within the first few hours it was rimming like new. I know this isn't very scientific and I did it only once. I'm not sure it was the gas but the generator is running better.
Lynwood

mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am pretty sure one of my Honda's (generator or outboard motor) manuals specifies high octane gas. I do know that once I started using the high octane gas both of them ran significantly better.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The Honda Generator service manual states the following:

FUEL RECOMMENDATIONS
This engine is certified to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher.
Never use stale or contaminated gasoline or an oil/gasoline mixture. Avoid getting dirt or water in the fuel tank.
You may use regular unleaded gasoline containing no more than 10% ethanol (E10) or 5% methanol by volume. In addition, methanol must contain cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors.
Use of fuels with content of ethanol or methanol greater than shown above may cause starting and/or performance problems. It may also damage metal, rubber, and plastic parts of the fuel system.
Engine damage or performance problems that result from using a fuel with percentages of ethanol or methanol greater than shown above are not covered under warranty.
If your equipment will be used on an infrequent basis, please refer to the fuel section of the STORAGE chapter (see page 57 ) for additional information regarding fuel deterioration.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #24
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Okay, the following is merely anecdotal.

We have had our two Honda EU2000i generators since 2007. Up until last year, we used low octane (86 or higher as required by Honda) fuel. I read somewhere (I think on this forum) that higher octane fuel was more efficient and I changed. I believe that the higher octane has been better for our generators.

We have about a thousand hours on each of our genny's and just had a Honda shop go through them. They adjusted the valves and said they were in great shape and suggested that we continue to use high octane fuel.

And, yes, we use Seafoam, regularly.

And, no, when we get ready to sell them, we'll not say they are gently used.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I noticed a lot of the users use Seafoam. Seafoam is real good. If you can't get it , get Stabil. It works but not as good as Seafoam in my opinion. No real proof of this....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a friend who owns a golf cart shop. He also sells zero turn lawn mowers. He tells me not to use Stabil as he has seen a lot of carburetors gummed up with it. He says the carbs are red inside. But who knows. It is something to watch out for.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #27
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Stopped using Stabil years ago and use SeaFoam in everything, including our auto.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #28
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Dick, I just fired off both my 2000 gennys this weekend and discovered the same problem with one of them. It would only run when chocked and wouldn't run at all in eco mode. After doing all the recommended fixes in the manual, nothing changed. I then went the Sea Foam fix. I dumped all my fuel out. I opened the side case, opened and drained the carb bowl, then closed it. I then dumped about a 1/4 can of Sea Foam in, pulled the starter several times to fill the bowl with the switch turned off. Then I poured about 2 cups of fuel in and started it. It did start after several pulls and smoked a lot while burning off the SF. It still needed to be chocked to run. After running out of fuel, I did this again with about a quart of fuel with the SF and it began to run much better. It took about 15 minutes, then it started to run normal with no missing and ran fine in the eco mode. It's still hard to believe it was that simple, but I am a believer in SF.

Jim
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
rjsurfer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8922
There is a reason to use high test on occasion especially with small engines that are not used that often, gasoline producers usually add injector cleaner and other additives in high test that they do not put in their regular gas.

Ron W.

rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #30
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Send a message via AIM to JBMANN52
I know I'm late adding to this post but here goes anyway. The links to the RV Net web page has very good information for cleaning and getting the carburator cleaned. One task I don't believe it mentions is to also remove the plastic jet under the idle adjustment screw on the left side of the carb. as you look at it mounted. When you have the carb. in your hand screw down the idle adjustment screw to get a reference point of how many turns it take it to bottom out. Then, remove it. Under it is the other jet that need to be taken out, cleaned, blown out with compressed air and reinserted. Put the idle adjust screw all the way back and back it out to its previous position. After I did this to mine after I did the others I filled it with premium fuel with a dose of SeaForm and it started and ran smooth as ever.
JBMANN52 is offline   Reply With Quote