Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Dish Tv

HI I have a situation that I can't figure out. I have only had dish statilite for a bout a year. I just set it up for the first time myself here in the Gold Beach, oregon area. Before this it was in Lynnwood, Washington. The everything works except channels 5 12 16 the local channels. It says they are haveing technical problems and it should be brief and will be resolved. Is there problems or is it because I am more than 300 miles from the Greater Seattle area. I do have the Root channel which is where the Seattle Mariners play and they are my team. So if I call dish and tell them I have moved and give them the zip code here. Will that cause the channel for the Baseball to go away. I would think not because as I say it comes in just not komo and kong which are there local channels for Seattle. Has anyone had this problems if so what was the answer? Thanks for the advice.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I think you may be missing one of the satellites that Dish uses to braodcast their signals which means your dish may be off a tad. Regular channels are transmitted on sats 110 and 119 and high def on sat 121 (I think). If you're manually aiming your dish, try adjusting a bit so that you're picking up both 110 and 119. If your dish is automatic then I haven't a clue and all the foregoing is probably just an exercise in my keyboard skills.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Randy,

Dish and Direct both use spot beams, which target the local markets. Once you travel out of the spot beam, you will not receive your locals. If you are going to be out of your local market for sometime you can call Disk with the new zip (location) and you can get locals for where you are, or you may get the East/West feeds, but you will not be able to get your hometown local feed. The local markets are licensed to Dish/Direct for local markets only and can not be broadcast any where else.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Are 5, 12 & 16 the local channels for Gold Beach or Seattle?If they are Seattle channels, you are not within prime viewing IMO- What are the local channels for Gold Beach? Dish can reset your reception for local channels if you have that option as part of your lease- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The only time I've had this problem is when I am aimed at the wrong satellite (It's happened to me twice). A little more fumbling around and I'll find the correct satellite and get all my channels including the local channels.

But since moving over to Dish Network we have not ventured far (less than a couple hundred miles) so we have not confirmed if we'll lose the local channels if we venture further. When we were on DirecTV and was over 400 to 500 miles away I had no problems with local channels either. I know this because DW would have killed me if she could watch DWTS and we've been able to see that show in the rig. But I've got to think about it now because I don't remember where we were when this happened (close by or far away).

I will agree that Dish Network is way worse for manual aiming than DirecTV, but I'm getting real good because of it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As mentioned, each major area is covered by a spot beam carrying the local channels for that area. I have read before that the spot beam is something like 250 miles radius of that particular area. Anywhere within that circle (spot) and you get your home locals. Outside that circle and you don't.
I know if I go to the Texas hill country (a little over 250 miles south/southwest of DFW area) I can not get the DFW locals. I have to call Dish and have them reprogram me for the Austin/San Antonio locals.
But it only affects the local channels. All other Dish channels are still available even when I can't get my locals.
Someone has mentined before which satellite carries the local channels, but I don't remember which one it is.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote