Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Fall travel to the northeast

We're planning a trip to the northeast this fall and wondered if we would need to make campground reservations long in advance. We plan to go through a bit of Canada and then come down through New England. We know the "leaf peepers" are plentiful during that time but don't know if there are a lot of RVers or mostly people on tours. Anyone done this trip before - would appreciate your input. Thanks

THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I don't know when, or if, you will be coming to Maine but bear in mind that campgrounds begin closing about October 1 and most are closed by October 15. Get a copy of the free Maine Campground Guide FMI. http://www.campmaine.com/
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:20 AM   #3
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by THE BAILEY BEARS

We're planning a trip to the northeast this fall and wondered if we would need to make campground reservations long in advance. ...
We did Acadia NP and NE two falls ago and Niagra Falls last fall. From that experience, I'd say taht we could have easily gone without reservations. I had reserveations for both trips because I had planned our itintary with a great deal of detail. But none of the campgrounds we staqyed at were full.

As a previous poster stated CGs close early up north. In Niagra, the CG closed 10/14. And our New England trip was from 9/20 to 10/12 and CGs were gearing down for closure in NE area.

Just a piece of advice, I generally shot for the first full week of October for "leaf peeping". That has served us well for about 5 NE trips over the years.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Craig, what park do you recommend for Niagara Falls? We're thinking of running up there after Labor Day and before the rally. There and/or Gettysburg.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Might want to consider making plans for early fall color this year, if the rest of the US is like lower Michigan. I have burning bushes already turning, have had some color for over a week. Since we moved to this stick built 9 years ago, my burning bushes are usually just starting to turn about October first. My Japanese Maple is also showing signs of color, at least 4 to 6 weeks early. I have never seen anything like this.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:55 AM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
It does appear that things might go early this year. We have a small maple which is already showing red and our woods have hints of orange already. In central NY the first week of Oct is generally good--after that it goes quickly especially if there are heavy rains or wind. Campgrounds tend to close down by Oct 15. Have fun! Any one coming through on Rte. 17 (I-86)????
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Craig, what park do you recommend for Niagara Falls? We're thinking of running up there after Labor Day and before the rally. There and/or Gettysburg.

Thanks.
Steve,

Sorry the park we stayed at, Glenview RV Park, closed down when we left and didn't reopen in 2004!

If you are going to Gettysburg, let me know when and where and perhaps we can meet up!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:

Thanks.
Colour does seem a bit early this year, but I don't think there will be much of a display by early September here in S. Ontario. The parks in the prime colour areas like Algonquin Park will likely be booked already, but you may find some weekday sites. (www.ontarioparks.com)

In Niagara Falls, we usually stay at the KOA on Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I'm not much of a fan of KOA's, but this one is not bad if you don't mind trains. The Niagara area is full of historic forts and sites commemorating battles, thankfully long past. Try to take the drive along the Niagara Parkway (without your trailer) all the way from Fort Erie to Niagara on the Lake. There is much more to the Niagara Falls area than the falls themselves. I believe there are some nice State Parks on the N.Y. side, but I have not visited them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Craig, we'll be near Haymarket until Friday before Labor Day (I know, lousy timing on our part). Then we'll go over to Harpers Ferry for three nights, then move to Gettysburg on Labor Day. All of this depends on whether we can get reservations in either of those places, which I haven't yet attempted. I may be too late, in which case we'll see if we can extend at Haymarket for awhile. When are you planning to be in Gettysburg. You're in Manassas, aren't you? If so, maybe we can hook up while we're in Haymarket. Email me if you think that might work.

OntMont, we definitely want to visit the Canadian side of the Falls and the surrounding area. I wonder if we would have cell service (Cingular)? I'm pretty sure my isp has no Canadian local numbers but I will have to doublecheck that. All that said, we've pretty well decided we cant' do Gettysburg AND Niagara Falls, do them both up right, then also get to the rally on time so since we've been to the falls before we'll probably put that off until next year. Thanks for the info anyhow. I'll save the info.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:

OntMont, we definitely want to visit the Canadian side of the Falls and the surrounding area. I wonder if we would have cell service (Cingular)?
Can you find out if Cingular has a plan that lets you use your phone in Canada. I use Bell Mobiliy in Canada, but (for a fee)I can use it while in the U.S. without incurring roaming charges. Regardless, as long as you are close to the border, as you would be in Niagara Falls, I would think the Cell towers on the US side would still pick up your signal. (I know they occasionally pick up mine, and then I do get stuck with a roaming charge). Bell also have a CD you can buy for about C$20 that gives you prepaid minutes of use on their internet service (Bell Sympatico).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, OntMont. I'll check with Cingular before we head into Canada. Looks now like it's not going to be this year, anyhow. To do all the things we had planned between now and the rally would have us on the move more than we really want to do. So I think after our granddaughters in Virginia we'll make a short stop in Harpers Ferry, WV, and a week in Gettysburg, then head west. I still haven't made reservations for HF and GB so that might change on us if I don't get on the stick.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:04 AM   #12
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Thanks everyone for their help. Hopefully we will find enough campgrounds open yet. Sounds like it might be an early fall so we might miss some of the colors but we just can't leave any earlier. We'll probably just use credit cards while there. As for the cell phone in Canada - we have Verizon and I just expanded ours for the time we will be there to include Canada. It costs extra but at least we won't be out of touch for the time there. Really looking forward to this trip.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote