Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Winterizing problem

OK Rondo did it this time! While winterizing the unit, I pushed on the little white button in the shoreline water connection to release the pressure from the line and drain out what water was between there and the pump. WELLLLL- the button came apart and the spring flew out. Now I can't get the spring and the little white capture nut with a wing on each side back on the shaft because the shaft(the valve closer) keeps moving back into the line. Hopefully, there's only the two parts, if not, I lost something. Any suggestions would be helpful. I know, I know just head South until I don't get any freezing and I would not have to worry about that but DW just won't agree with that with a 13 month old grandson around and a new grandson or granddaughter (don't know which yet)on the way! She may come around a little faster now that we have 6-8 inches of the white stuff on the ground. It's to early for that stuff yet here in Nebraska but anyway any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Can't really answer your question, except to say that I don't think the part is all that important. Wait for better weather in the spring. I believe it is just a back-flow preventer, you could probably get one that screws on externally, if you can't fix the internal one easily. (JMHO)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks John-- I did a little improvising to be able to keep the "pink stuff" from flowing out of the hookup for shoreline H2O because there was nothing to stop the backflow. I didn't realize it was dumping the antifreeze out until I couldn't get any of the RV antifreeze out of the faucets I turned on when running the pump and it was dumping out of the shoreline hookup. Went through almost a gallon before I realized something was wrong. Oh well, the drain and pipe off the driveway is now winterized! Put a connection used in connecting two soaker hoses together and then put a gasketed cap on the outside end. It sticks out of the door through the hose access hole in the door but at least I have the pink stuff in the lines now. Just looking for suggestions to fix it once the weather here warms up! It was 21 when we woke up this morning! Glad I got the pink stuff in anyway!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Rondo

Dennis says no problem; just wait for your coupon from Keystone and you can get a new trailer. The new ones come winterized. LOL BTW he wants to know if you got a bath when you pushed the little white thingy in?

Dennis & Sharon

P.S. Won't tell you how many times he's had a unexpected bath.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Sounds like it is some type of backflow or in line check. I think it is there so when u run your onboard pump it stops the water from going out your shore connection. You might try to put water in your fresh water tank and start the pump "you might get wet" but if you get the check lined up right the pump pressure will hold it postion to put nut or screw back on. This might work but without seeing it I am guessing. Sounds like it is a piece that Keystone or dealer should stock. My 2002 3295rk is not quite that fancy. Good luck.
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
If I were you, I'd just buy a new shoreline connection and replace it. Pull the three screws holding the flange to side of RV, unscrew the Pex connection and screw onto a new one, clean off RTV, mount new one with same 3 screws, and put a bead of RTV around it.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

If I were you, I'd just buy a new shoreline connection and replace it. Pull the three screws holding the flange to side of RV, unscrew the Pex connection and screw onto a new one, clean off RTV, mount new one with same 3 screws, and put a bead of RTV around it.
Thats what i did a few years back mine had a hose clamp easy install
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Sounds like you've lost the little rubber "O" ring. There is a way to fix it if you have all the parts, otherwise just replace it. The correct way to winterize the city hookup connection is to turn the pump off, open a water faucet and let all the water pressure off of the lines, Have someone then push in on the "little white button", turn the pump back on until antifreeze comes out the city water fill. Until you do get it fixed, and you would want to use the water pump for camping, you can get a plug to screw into where the water hose connects. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think that was my problem-- I did have the pump turned off but I didn't have a faucet open to bleed off any pressure. I pushed the button and pushed it to far and the keeper came off and out came the keeper, spring and now I'm guessing the "o" ring that I didn't see or find when it came apart. Guess I'll have to head for the local RV dealership and see if they have a new city water hookup that I can put on myself. I worked on putting the keeper back on the shaft but the shaft that has the backflow on it kept going back into the line and I couldn't get the keeper back on it! I did remove the 8 screws holding the complete panel to see if I could get to the back of the connection but the hoses were to short to pull it out far enough to disconnect. I may have to take the belly pan off the bottom in the back just to get to the connections for the filler. I did put the panel back on and recaulked it all. By the way, I don't have the station like the new ones and my hookups and filler for H2O is in the rear drivers side by the shoreline electrical hookup. I have a 2004 2980RL if that helps anyone diagnose my problem. I'm hoping I won't have to replace the whole panel with the water tank filler, the overflow exhaust and the shoreline water connection all in one unit and the shoreline connection can be taken off and replace by itself. When I had the complete panel disconnected from the body I could see screw on connections for the shoreline connection and clamps around the watertank filler and the overflow exhaust. Just wish I could have gotten it out far enough to reach the back of the panel but couldn't.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
That is similar to mine and I access backside under my Entertainment center. I don't know if your 2980RL is similar but these are located above the floor line so going into belly pan won't get you there. Maybe someone with that model will have input...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote