Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
kbrad7472

M.O.C. #9301
Winegard Travler install

Has anyone install one of the new Winegard Travler on there Montana How to run the cables inside and where is the best place to put the control unit.

kbrad7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We had CW install ours last year. Because we removed the bedroom TV we had the dish installed above the old TV compartment as there was full access to all the cable wiring. WE have the control box on the shelf in the bedroom. The box is only used to set the satellite and therefore easy access is not required.

BTW-Even though it is up front when stored it sits lower than the front AC
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I just had 1 installed on our unit and they installed it up front as they want it at a flat spot on the roof ,, nice ,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
We had a Winegard Travler installed at Quartzsite this year. The installer ran the lines to the bedroom and the entertainment center. The control box is was put in the closet on the shelf next to the TV. The line (2 cables) for the entertainment center was run down through the roof by the roof vent for the heater through the dead wall space where the "J" counter in the kitchen connects to the wall (the cable went behind the spice cabinet) then out the bottom of the Montana. It is then routed with the other lines going out to the slide out and back up through the floor behind the fireplace into the entertainment center. The complete install took the installer 3 hours to do. Here are some photos of the installation on the roof. All the lines are well secured and caulked. This makes putting up and aligning the HD Sat Dish a snap.

jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
If this wasn't so pathetic, it would be funny!! My local C/W in Fife, where I've had innumerable things installed, informed me Wednesday that it would be an 8 hour ordeal to install my Traveler, if they even tried to do it. All this because it was going into the slide. We drove to the local Keystone/Montana dealer in Tacoma and they said "sure, 3-4 hours depending. bring it in next Friday". So I guess the moral here is always seek a second opinion.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Talking to our installer (who happened to be the owner of the company) he said it is usually a 2 hour job to install but ours was a little more difficult. Also he came late, about 5:00 PM and we were starting dinner. Carolyn being one that loves to cook for people invited him to dinner, that was part of the 3 hours. He sets up the business out of Quartzsite 4 to 5 months a year and also has Satellite TV shops in Phoenix and Yuma and specializes in RV's.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Deadeye, I had mine installed by a CW in Arizona and it was an all day ordeal, Of course they admitted they had never doe it before and most of the time was spent in learning how to do it. When I got there to pick it up they pushed it outside to show me how it worked, WRONG, we had an HD receiver and they did not install the HD dish. Had to wait another two hours while they took one off and installed the proper one. What a joke. I did not have to pay because they had messed up my Kingdome sat and all I had to pay was for the dish itself....Sure love the system now, although I still have no bedroom TV, which we don't use anyway. I would like to have a system for the basement, in all due time.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I still use the old-fashioned satellite/tripod/platform because I still have a fear that the sight I pick will be blocked by some tree since I've done it and have run the thing 40 feet away when I was camped in Yosemite (did you know there are a boatload of trees there). Plus mostly I ain't as rich as you guys to buy all them nice toys so I haven't jumped on the auto-satellite yet, but I like the fact you guys are good with it. There's so much to be said for the convenience. Setting up the satellite is always the last thing I do because sometimes I get lucky and sometimes I don't and it's unpredictable how long it will take me. So I gotta make sure everything else is done before I tackle it. In the meantime DW is asking, "When/Are you gonna set up the satellite?" or "Is it gonna take long this time?". I just never know.

Hey, jretz.. I realized you said all the holes are caulked up pretty good but I can't help but think you still might get some leaves or insects caught up in all that cabling on your roof. Have you thought of going up there with a bunch of that roof goop that's used to seal newly installed vents and air conditioners. It could help create a rubberized tapered cover so that stuff doesn't collect there. Plus it should help with the wires not getting snagged on some low branch that might get under them. Just a thought.

Otherwise, nice job! I'll admit I'm envious of the convenience.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'll have to side with Art ... 80% of the RV sites at the lakes I go to require a mobile dish/tripod to get a signal. The roof dish would just be a conversation piece for people we camped next to. I have a satellite finder that gets me going usually in less than 5 minutes. We all have different applications as to RVing ... I'm not ready to hang the water skis up just yet! Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote