Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Montana 3665RE Hydralic Pump Wiring

I have seen the many post on how to modify the Hydralic Pump wiring to prevent the circuit breaker from tripping to often.

I am a little confused with how my new (2 months old) montana is wired for the pump.

Battery ( 4 AWG)to CB1 in,,, CB1 out has the pink wire and another 4 AWG wire going to CB2 in,,, then CB2 out has 4 AWG wire going to the Trailer 12 volt circuit breaker pannel and another 4 AWG wire going to the Hyrdralic Pump.

CB1 is 30 amp
CB2 is 50 amp.

First it would seem logical that CB1 would be a 50 amp and not 30 amp. Or they should both be 50 amp.

I do have the Xantrex 80amp Converter. with 4 AWG wiring.

They are in Series not Parallel.

I would have thought by now the factory would be wiring these in parallel as lippert recommends.

I have purchased the Bussman Hi-amp 80 amp auto reset breaker.

My question is which breaker would I be replacing CB1 (30amp) or CB2 (50amp).

Or,, Would you replace both breakers and go with parallel,,, if so what size .

We do a lot of winter camping and this is a problem taking a long time to bring the slides in and out.

Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My unit 07 is AG4 from battery to (CB1 in) and AG4 jumper to (CB2 in). There is a orange wire from (CB2 in) to a fuse and power for the front landing legs motor.
(CB1 out) goes to the Hydraulic pump and (CB2 out) goes to the Trailer Fuse panel.
I hope this helps.
Since you are only two months old I suggest you go to a local Keystone service center and have them correct or verify the wiring.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
John,

Do you know the amperage size of your CB1 & CB2

Thanks

Wayne
Old 12-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wayne, my rig has different equipment so I'm not much help there, but your signature picture sure inspires me to expand my "season of use" for the Monty!!

Our Monty is just as cold as your's is in that picture right now, but yours sure looks like it's having more fun!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Well,

I removed the 30 amp CB1 only to find it was wired backwards, The Battery wire was going to the "Aux" post and the load wire was connected to the "BAT" post. This was my first clue that what ever the standard factory wiring is on my trailer,, was not to be treated as correct. As we all know keystone provides no wiring diagrams so we get to figure out what a proper wired RV is all by ourselves.

I replaced the 30 amp CB1 with a Bussman 80 amp Auto reset breaker. The hydralic pump is connected to the load side of the 80 amp breaker along with the wire going to the Bat side of CB2, I left the 50 amp CB2 breaker wired just as it was.

Wow, what a difference in how the slides work.

I think I can now camp in Zero Degree weather and have the slides move in and out.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I'll have to check the wiring on my 3665RE now that you guys have me curious. I was a bit surprised that Keystone didn't provide a manual with the trailer, only the manuals for the appliances, etc. A wiring diagram would have been nice.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote