Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Surge Guard Question

We are going to get a Surge Guard for the rig, but first a few Questions. First since there are two types, hard wired and inline, which is a better idea? I realize that if it takes a hit and gets fried it has to be replaced. That being said, wouldn't it be a lot easier to replace the inline (plugged into the pedestal) than the hard wired? If the hardwired one takes a hit we would be without electricity until we get a new unit where if the inline is toasted we can remove it from the system and plug directly into the pedestal until we get a new Surge guard. At the moment the only "tronics" at risk are the micro, the ACs and the TV in the bedroom. The rest are all plugged into APC units, computers, LCD/HD, DVD, Hughes modem, wireless. I will still use the wall plug meter to watch the voltage... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
My only concern about the external unit is theft. A good friend of ours had theirs stolen while they were gone for the day. He had trouble with the insurance company getting reimbursed the $700.
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALAN

My only concern about the external unit is theft. A good friend of ours had theirs stolen while they were gone for the day. He had trouble with the insurance company getting reimbursed the $700.
$700? Mine didn't cost that much when I bought it. Something around $350. I lock mine to the pedestal when I can. When I can't lock it to the pedestal I lock it to the rig with a good cable. The cable and padlock won't keep it from being stolen but will keep honest people honest.

I never have considered hardwiring mine in because I have two of them: 30-amp and 50-amp. Only reason I have two is because I started with the 30-amp long before 50-amp rigs were being made.

Please realize that whether you hardwire it in or let it remain portable, it's all a matter of personal desire. Don't let anyone tell you that you should or shouldn't. Do it your way.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I went through the same thoughts and finally decided on the inline rather than the hard wired for the reason you stated. I use a cable lock to secure it to the CG post. Another way to secure is to close the lid on the CG post panel and put a lock on it so that it can't be unplugged. I also use the Hughes Autoformer in front of the surge protection, so both get cabled together.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I just bought one two weeks ago, and struggled with the same question. Reasoning was the same, if it protected the unit and fried itself, easier to replace the plug in than the hardwired. And I also bought the hasp, but hadn't thought about cabling it to the pedestal. Good Idea!
And just when I thought that I would never get any use out of it, just as a precaution, we needed it last sunday morning. power browned out in the campground and surrounding area, causing the surge guard to idle, then resume power. Peace of mind.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
At first I thought that Alan was refering to an Autoformer but they are around 579.00 so I have no clue what unit he was referring to. I have seen lock brackets just for the Surge Guard that lock it to your shore power cable and the lock on the pedestal door is a great idea too. Not that I was ever a really great Boy Scout but as a Navy Diver I like to think ahead to problems that arise and solutions to those problems long before they become problems. If I lose a Surge Guard due to a strike or surge and I have an inline I can just remove it and plug into the pedestal like usual. If it is hard wired then I have to remove it from the system and reconnect the wiring before I cn get power to the rig again. The cost difference isn't that great so I am leaning towards the inline for now. If I hardwire anything it would be an Autoformer if I got one of those... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We have the in line and got the security device that fits over when the cord plugs into the surge guard. That is secured with a pad lock. Now no reason they couldn't unplug my cord from the post AND from the Monty and take the whole thing, Surge Guard AND 50Amp cable but have been blessed so far.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have an in line one and I chain it to the post or what ever is secure. The EMS checks out the power supply before it allows power to the unit. I guess if you lock it to the cable and chain it to the box or post everything would be safe.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have the device that locks the SG to the power cord and I chain the SG to the power stalk. Then I cover the whole thing with an old tire cover...if asked I say it's to protect the SG from rain, but, when covered, the SG, lock and chain cannot be seen.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I also have the in line, reason, I did not want to go through the effort or pay to have the internal one installed. Also with the in line you can plug it in first before you hook up the cable and it checks everything out before, so if there is a problem you can move to another location.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the hard wired. It can be bypassed in 30 minutes and replaced in the same time. The only change I would make on mine is to get one that has the remote readout so I can tell what is happening inside the trailer. Mine is mounted in the battery compartment.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I have the inline, but chose to mount it inside the rig by putting a plug on the inside end of the power cord and a short run to the junction box with the unit plugged inbetween. This is out of sight, fully protected, and I have no worries. I have caught a reset while we were out, but the air was running when we got back.
Someday I would like the autoformer, but am struggling with putting it before the surge protector.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote