Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have sort of got to stop and think for awhile.. Just as all of the weight of your Rv is not carried by the axles..all of the weight is also not carried by the tires.We keep overlooking that little understood "pin weight' issue..That weight is on the truck..not the camper. And I doubt very much if the manufacturer was all that concerned about the weight rating on the Mission tire as much as how much they cost in bulk. The 3042 rating of the Copper is 6084 on the 6 K axle.. I wonder what tires they put on the newer units with the 7K axles???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #22
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good point Rich, one that I tried to make in a previous post.

pud2, the Towmax is made in China.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #23
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ok, that's good enough for me. If Rich is putting on Cooper SRM, that's what I'm putting on. Just ordered 4 of them.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cooper tires are readily available all over North America and they are made in North America which was a determining factor in our purchase as we are also all over North America.Not to mention they are not a bad tires and my tire guy here in town has them on his Truck, Camper and Boat trailer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #25
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Scotty the Maxiss tire is also made in China. A friend of mine was looking at his and that is what he has and they say made in China. Although he has not had any problems with them and they are 3 years old. He has SOB. rv.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #26
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Earlier in this thread I stated that I have sold a lot of Towmax tires and had very few complaints, I even said they are not a bad tire for the money.

Today I will eat those words .

A man came into the store today wanting me to go over to the location where he parks his trailer to look at his tires. I went, and what I saw was a Grand Junction 5er less than a year old, with 2400 miles on it. The tires are Towmax that came on the trailer OEM, and 3 of the 4 on the ground had a severe case of belt separation, with the 4th just starting to do the same. When I send them in for adjustment, I'll let you know what happened.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:52 AM   #27
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
New Cooper SRM tires now on the coach. Goodbye Tacomas.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 AM   #28
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Got a call from TIRECO Friday that my check was "in the mail". I know, I know, we've all heard that before. I will believe it when I get my mail drop from Anchorage. I sent them 5 Mission tires that I had probs with, they paid for 4 new tires (one was a road hazard flat, not covered). The claim has been in since July, but persistence has paid off, I hope....A word of advice, If you're not strapped for cash, let the system work, but don't let them forget you either. I called about once a month just to say I was still waiting.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #29
ScottyID

M.O.C. #7780
Thanks for the info about Maxxis tires. The dealer recommended putting on LTs and they've been great so far (Valdosta, GA to El Mirage, AZ). In fact, what appeared to be a toe in/toe out problem on the axels disappeared when new tires installed).
ScottyID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #30
ScottyID

M.O.C. #7780
Thanks for the info about Maxxis tires. The dealer recommended putting on LTs and they've been great so far (Valdosta, GA to El Mirage, AZ). In fact, what appeared to be a toe in/toe out problem on the axels disappeared when new tires installed). One more question as you sell tires. The dealer said it would be best to run them at maximum 80 pounds. Is that a good recommendation?
ScottyID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #31
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ScottyID

Thanks for the info about Maxxis tires. The dealer recommended putting on LTs and they've been great so far (Valdosta, GA to El Mirage, AZ). In fact, what appeared to be a toe in/toe out problem on the axels disappeared when new tires installed). One more question as you sell tires. The dealer said it would be best to run them at maximum 80 pounds. Is that a good recommendation?
I've run mine at 80 psi for over seven years. I believe you get the best service from the tire when you run them at that pressure. You have to consider that we're pretty much at full load in our rigs (some of us overloaded) so the 80 psi max cold is what the tire manufacturer recommends.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #32
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You know, I've been driving for over 30 years and never had a flat tire while driving let alone a blowout. Now, in the past 4 months, we have lost a new Bridgestone rear truck tire and a new Mission tire on the RV. Both have been shredded to the rim in the short time from blowout to pulling over. Both tires were inflated to 80 PSI and the load on the wheels were below maximum since we do not haul fresh, grey or black water.

Seems more often than not I'm not alone - what am I doing wrong??
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #33
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
ScottyID,

Without knowing the weight of your trailer, I agree with your tire dealer and Orv. Air them up to 80 psi, and then just keep an eye on them for unusual wear patterns. If the center starts wearing faster than the edges, you may need to lower the pressure some.

Steve,

I doubt you are doing anything wrong. MOST of the time when a tire blows it is caused from overheating, which is usually caused by low air pressure. Most commonly, we check our tire pressures and hit the road, but somewhere between point A and point B, we pick up a nail, a piece of wire, a lost bolt, or some other piece of road debris, that causes a slow leak. A leak that is slow enough to allow the tire to overheat, and explode, before we realise there is a problem. Once in awhile it happens because of tire defects, or previous tire damage, but not as a general rule.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM   #34
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
One of my new Coopers picked up a self threading bolt. Glad it went flat while we are on our site. Took the tire off and took it to a Cooper dealer for repair. He broke the tire down and fixed it from inside.
Rich: For info the Cooper dealer here in McAllen, Tx. said he hoped he could fix it because he couldn't replace it. Apparently the Cooper tires are regionalized and he can't get the SRM tires here. It is fixed and is holding air.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 AM   #35
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
Hi folks guess it is my turn to join the mission/junk/china tire club.Lucky no blow out or damage,rf tire started losing 10 psi per day and funny tread wear enroute to FL filled to 80+ each AM prior to travel, Took off and took to Florida Goodyear store near campground in clermont FL, Ended up with 4 Lt235/85-16 Wrangler ld range E (3042#) rated, Has anyone else noted the maximum load (3042) markings on the backside of the aluminum wheels ??? why use a tire with a higher rating if the wheels are not rated for them ?? At least the LT tires should be available nationwide at Goodyear stores I hope

Fred
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote