Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
K&N Air Filter

I know this has been addressed before, however by doing a search I cant find out if I should switch from the stock air filter to the K&N or another type of air filter for my 2002 Duramax. Any discussion on this topic would really be appreciated.

RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ron here are 2 prevoius threads....

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....air+filter.asp

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....air+filter.asp

BTW-I'll stick with what GM recommends. Been using the AC/Delco parts for years with no problems and there is no possibility of a warranty issue.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
RonS you may want to look at a cold air intake from K&N. I shopped around on the Net and found one pretty reasonably priced and installed. I can really tell the difference over the air-starved factory filter box. It was easy to install. Good luck.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:27 AM   #4
Montana_2036

M.O.C. #2036
I installed one on my 1500HD, 6.0L,(gas), and notice a difference. My MPG increased by 2 mpg
and 16+HP increase, can verify by dino-testing. Last months addition of Trailer Life speaks of the various add on items to increase power, etc, good article if you are thinking of any of these items. These add-ons will not void warrenty, this from my GMC dealer.

Jim
Montana_2036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I don't know about Fords but when it comes to GM, the ACDelco filter is by far the best choice. Take a look at this report
http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
There is anoter report directed specifically at the K&N.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=K%26N
This report is a bit wordy. But it basically says K&N has done a terrific job at marketing.
For my part, I have a K&N on my aircraft (experimental) because it does not fly in dirty conditions. I had one on my 2003 2500HD. I replaced it with the ACDelco and the truck performed as well or better than withthe K&N. This is subjective as I did not perform any specific engineering tests.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I had the K&N filter system on my 2500HD/Allison. Did not notice any difference, took it out and reinstalled the stock air filter and intake system. The stock system actually flows more air to the engine than the KN system does.
the threads mentioned above will back this up.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The following is a reply to a previous post. The guy was running an AirAid system on his 05 Ford and I put in my 2 cents worth.

"I may open a can of worms here, but I feel it needs to be addressed. I see that you are running an AirAid system ... the stock heavy duty system with the big blue Donaldson filter from Ford (although pricey) gave you a boatload more filtration with more than adequate flow than the oil soaked synthetic cotton and gauze used in your current system as well as by K&N . Yes they will flow more air, but look where this type of filter was developed from ... racing applications and boating. Racers aren't too concerned about filtration as the engines are torn down fairly often to "keep the edge" ... boaters, well how many dust storms have you drove thru on the lake? In say 10,000 miles, take your tube off from the air box to your turbo ... wipe the inside with a light colored cloth and tell me what you see. I could go on, but maybe someone else will take up where I leave off. It didn't have the fancy cotton fiber they use nowdays, but I had a 57 Ford pickup with an oil bath filter ... 50 year old technology!"
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Stick with the Stock Unit.
The Diesel truck websites have proven with testing that the K & N Air Filter does not net any improvement over the stock Duramax Air Filter system.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another concern if you go with K&N or any other oiled filter... there have been quite a few reports in the past year or so of owners over-oiling the filter and that oil getting digested into the engine and doing damage. Damage that then is not covered by warranty because it was caused by an over-oiled filter. From what I understand this is not smoke and mirrors by the auto manufacturers trying to avoid warranty costs. This is happening on diesel engines and I assume on gas, too.

For the Ford guys, my understanding is Ford does not authorize any filter as acceptable other than the Donaldson filter, which as noted above is the mfr of the Motorcraft filter, because no other filters as finely. Damage from an unauthorized filter voids the warranty if shown to be caused by the filter switch. The stock filter is around $100 if you buy from Ford. But at 50k miles mine is still showing less than 5% blockage and is the original filter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Steve, The contamination from filter oil is to the oxygen sendor. GM has a service bulletin out on this issue.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I'am running a K&N and have gained 3mpg with it and it towes a lot better, maybe because I'am running an older powerstroke that does not have an o2 sensor but so far it seems to help. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You pay your money and take your choice. You'll find both good and bad reports about the K&N. I have it in my Ford and am satisfied.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote